Author Topic: Twitter Firestorm Emerges Over 1971 John Wayne ‘Playboy’ Interview  (Read 2942 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Twitter Firestorm Emerges Over 1971 John Wayne ‘Playboy’ Interview
8:02 PM 02/19/2019 | Entertainment
Celine Ryan | Contributor

Forty years after his death, John Wayne’s views on race and homosexuality have suddenly sparked a firestorm of tweets from users who believe his comments are somehow representative of America as a whole in the Trump era.

After a viral tweet began to circulate over the weekend, highlighting portions of a famous 1971 Playboy interview, the phrase “John Wayne” was trending on the platform by Tuesday evening as users found their feeds flooded with both outrage and confusion at the new-found relevancy of the interview.

The tweet highlighted particularly jarring portions of the interview, such as Wayne’s belief that films portraying homosexuality were “perverted,” and statements asserting that “blacks” were uneducated and therefore lacked adequate “responsibility” for leadership positions.

Pia Glenn, an actress who played Condoleezza Rice in Will Ferrell’s 2009 political comedy “You’re Welcome America,” asserted that there exist “direct lines” between Wayne’s language “and the country today.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/19/twitter-firestorm-1971-john-wayne-playboy/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:27:21 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

@mystery-ak

Is there a working link?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Thanks!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Views are outdated, but he is still more a hero to me than 99.99% of the slime in hollywood right now
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

Views are outdated, but he is still more a hero to me than 99.99% of the slime in hollywood right now

You start reading very many ~50 year old interviews and I suspect you will find a lot that does not line up with today's culture.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Hahaha, PLAYBOY? What next? We gonna start looking at cave paintings?
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I’m more offended that he left Jim Hutton behind.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

John Wayne's not dead, he's frozen
And as soon as we find a cure for cancer
We're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off
You know why
Have you ever taken a cold shower?
Well multiply that by 15 million times
That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be!
I'm gonna get the Duke, and John Cassavetes
And Lee Marvin, and Sam Peckinpah, and a case of whiskey
And drive down to Texas

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You start reading very many ~50 year old interviews and I suspect you will find a lot that does not line up with today's culture.

Hey I am over 60. I remember.  PC runs amok now.  And his views on homosexuality?   I may be flamed, but I think he is spot on.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

Liberals upset about remarks made by a man who's been dead for forty years.  11513

So what are we going to do....dig up every comment by every prominent American for the last four hundred years and hold them accountable?
The conceit of liberals is that before the era when weird people were allowed to legally engage in perverted actions (men masquerading as women going into female restrooms, etc.) America was an awful country.
The facts are from 1776 on America, while not perfect, was far better than any other country in the world. We've gotten even better since then.
For liberals the glass is always half empty.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Liberals upset about remarks made by a man who's been dead for forty years.  11513

Cut and pasted from another forum (Quotes from Abraham Lincoln) ...
Did not check for accuracy, but have heard / seen similar references in the past.

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/top-5-racist-quotes-by-abraham-lincoln.203268709/

1. On the expansion of slavery:

Lincoln said:
There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...

2. On shipping blacks back to Africa:

Lincoln said:
In the language of Mr. Jefferson, uttered many years ago, "It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation, and deportation, peaceably, and in such slow degrees, as that the evil will wear off insensibly; and in their places be, pari passu [on an equal basis], filled up by free white laborers."

3. On outlawing slavery in the south (before the rebellion).

Lincoln said:
I have no purpose directly or indirectly to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

4. On equality:

Lincoln said:
I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

5. On inter-racial marriage:

Lincoln said:
Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

================================
Wonder why the liberals won't go after this Rushmore resident?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:16:37 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
American iconoclasm at work. John Wayne, purveyor of Wrong Thought, must be shamed and discredited, even though he's been dead for 40 years.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

I wonder when the race hustlers are going to go after Margaret Sanger, patron saint of radical feminists. Sanger said awful things about blacks and minorities. She went to Klan rallies.
What are the chances they'll denounce her?
Somebody should throw this in the face of that toadette Gloria Steinem whenever she shows her mug on tv.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

So what are we going to do....dig up every comment by every prominent American for the last four hundred years and hold them accountable?

Yes, that is exactly what the outrage brigade will do.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

That does it! He'll never work in Hollywood again!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Everyone is pulling their McLintock! reruns as we speak. (/sarc)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rustynail

Now do the "white bleep" guy.

Offline dfwgator

No more posthumous Coors Light appearances.....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

God's laws are immutable and do not change over time.  And the views of loudmouthed folks who represent a tiny proportion of society will never change that fact.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Left looking to erase/rewrite history again. Give their own punks another target to purify America History of as evidence that Everything we thought we knew was wrong.

They're gearing up to another round of book (movie) burning like they did with all the Statues of Confederate Veterans.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:29:18 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yes, that is exactly what the outrage brigade will do.

@austingirl

Well,brain farts like that ARE working to draw public attention away from a lot of the things today's Dims are saying.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000
A FB "friend" from a writing group I belong to posted the iconic picture of the sailor kissing the nurse on VJ day and called it a "public sexual assault." Apparently someone defaced the statue of this event with #metoo.

Where does the outrage brigade find the time? **nononono*
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Mr. Wayne's remarks seem just fine to me.

And I don't do twitter.

It would be interesting to hear John's comments today towards his detractors...

Offline mountaineer

Pia Glenn, an actress who played Condoleezza Rice in Will Ferrell’s 2009 political comedy “You’re Welcome America,” asserted that there exist “direct lines” between Wayne’s language “and the country today.”
:silly: She portrayed Condi Rice, so she must know what she's talking about.  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org