Author Topic: Martina Navratilova dropped by LGBT group Athlete Ally over trans athletes row  (Read 1035 times)

Offline mountaineer

An "out" lesbian dares express the opinion that it isn't fair for men (pretending to be women) to compete against actual women. Oh, the humanity!
Martina Navratilova dropped by LGBT group Athlete Ally over trans athletes row
By Rob Picheta and James Masters
CNN via MSN

An LGBT group has cut ties with tennis great Martina Navratilova after she said it was a form of "cheating" for transgender women to be allowed to compete in women's sport.

New York-based Athlete Ally, which supports LGBT sportspeople, called the comments transphobic and removed the 18-time Grand Slam winner from its advisory board and as an ambassador.

Navratilova wrote in The Sunday Times that it was "insane" that transgender athletes who "decide" to become female had achieved honors "that were beyond their capabilities as men."

"Martina Navratilova's recent comments on trans athletes are transphobic, based on a false understanding of science and data, and perpetuate dangerous myths that lead to the ongoing targeting of trans people," Athlete Ally said in a statement.  ...

Navratilova has defended her comments, tweeting to CNN on Tuesday that the controversy is "not about me and it is not about whether I was criticized or not -- you ought to talk about the actual issues I raised instead."  ...
Science and data.  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

Fun to see liberals turning on each other now.

:2popcorn:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Fun to see liberals turning on each other now.

:2popcorn:

You go girl, go.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Martina Navratilova, who won multiple Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles and is considered among the best female tennis players in history, denounced the idea that transgender females -- men who claim they are women -- can compete fairly in women's sports, stating "it's insane and it's cheating."

"t is surely unfair on women who have to compete against people who, biologically, are still men," she wrote in The Sunday Times on Feb. 17. "[F]airness should always be valued and strived for" and "unfairness introduced through human action and chemical means should be condemned and outlawed."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/gay-tennis-legend-martina-navratilova-transgender-athletes-its-insane-and-its
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Martina speaks an obvious truth but now is suddenly a target of hate from guess who.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Ready for the incoming, Martina?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
An "out" lesbian dares express the opinion that it isn't fair for men (pretending to be women) to compete against actual women. Oh, the humanity! Science and data.  :silly:
After that global warming scam, anything goes, apparently.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

An "out" lesbian dares express the opinion that it isn't fair for men (pretending to be women) to compete against actual women. Oh, the humanity! Science and data.  :silly:

I suspect that's because Martina DID compete against a transgender person and knows what she's talking about.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline musiclady

Funny stuff.    :pop41:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
One thing that always confuses me on this. In any other case, an athlete would be banned from taking any hormones as they are considered performance enhancing. But if they are going through the 'transition' they would be taking the hormones yet they aren't banned from the sport.

Offline musiclady

One thing that always confuses me on this. In any other case, an athlete would be banned from taking any hormones as they are considered performance enhancing. But if they are going through the 'transition' they would be taking the hormones yet they aren't banned from the sport.

Most likely because the hormone taken is estrogen rather than testosterone in the cases that Navratilova is referring to (where most born-males have a decided advantage over most born-females).

Or even more likely it's because the rules don't apply when the left wants its own way.....   *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.