Author Topic: 'The story needs to be told': Survivor remembers life in Japanese internment camps during WWII  (Read 1475 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Roosevelt ordered the camps, February 19, 1942

At age 11, she was an active tomboy living on a farm in the Northern California town of Mountain View.
"I broke my leg kicking a football," said Margaret Nakamura Cooper during her talk as part of the Heart of the Valley series at the Santa Maria Public Library on Saturday.
At age 12, Margaret, her father Harry, mother Nelli and three siblings were among 120,000  men, women and children of Japanese ancestry, most of whom living on the West Coast, who were rounded up and sent to internment camps.

The order came from President Franklin D. Roosevelt shortly after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.
"I'm one of the few people who are willing to talk about this," Cooper told a capacity crowd in Shepard Hall. "Not many people are willing to talk about this, but it's important. The story needs to be told."...

https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/the-story-needs-to-be-told-survivor-remembers-life-in/article_e1b2cfe6-a3d5-541d-827f-efe6d358fcff.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Okay, a Democrat ordered this. So?
Don't forget to tell what happened to the Chinese, Brits, and others in Japanese internment camps in Asia...

Not to mention POWs
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
FDR did this partly to protect them. My dad worked construction building the internment  facility at Heart amtn. Wyoming.

Americans were beyond furious over Pearl Harbor.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline rustynail

Then tell Nanjing.

Offline skeeter

"No one wants to talk about this"? Is she kidding? The last time I was there an entire wing of the American History museum at the Smithsonian in DC was dedicated to FDR's relocation centers.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"No one wants to talk about this"? Is she kidding? The last time I was there an entire wing of the American History museum at the Smithsonian in DC was dedicated to FDR's relocation centers.
So, tell her story, write a book. By all means, and no one is standing in the way of that.

It sucked as much as Marylanders being interned under Lincoln's suspension of Habeas Corpus, I am sure.

Maybe more, maybe not, but tell it. History is history, warts and all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

So, tell her story, write a book. By all means, and no one is standing in the way of that.

It sucked as much as Marylanders being interned under Lincoln's suspension of Habeas Corpus, I am sure.

Maybe more, maybe not, but tell it. History is history, warts and all.

Maybe she should make another movie about it.

American Pastime (2007)
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
Come See the Paradise (1990)
Day of Independence (2003)
Farewell to Manzanar (1976)
Go for Broke: An Origin Story (2018)
Hell to Eternity (1960)
If Tomorrow Comes (1971)
99 Years of Love 〜Japanese Americans〜 (2010)
Kommando 1944 (2018)
Only the Brave (2006)
Snow Falling on Cedars (1999)
Stand Up for Justice: The Ralph Lazo Story (2004)
Strawberry Fields (1997)
Under the Blood Red Sun (2014)

An ugly chapter for sure, but no one should pretend we've tried to hide it or haven't been sufficiently remorseful.