Author Topic: France anti-Semitism: Jewish graves desecrated near Strasbourg  (Read 300 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
France anti-Semitism: Jewish graves desecrated near Strasbourg
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:42:16 pm »
Nearly 100 graves at a Jewish cemetery in eastern France have been desecrated with swastikas.

The damage was discovered on Tuesday, ahead of nationwide marches against a rise in anti-Semitic attacks.

French President Emmanuel Macron visited the cemetery, in a village near Strasbourg, telling community leaders: "It's important for me to be here with you today."

France has the biggest Jewish community in Europe, about 550,000 people.

What happened?
The damage was discovered on Tuesday in Quatzenheim, a village in Alsace close to France's border with Germany. Nazi symbols and anti-Semitic slogans were spray-painted on the graves.

One tombstone was defaced with the words "Elsässischen Schwarzen Wolfe" ("Black Alsatian Wolves"), the name of a militant far-right group active in the 1970s and 1980s.

The group burned down a museum at Natzweiler-Struthof - a former Nazi death camp - in 1976.

In a video statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the "shocking" attack by "wild anti-semites."

"I call on the leaders of France and Europe to take a strong stand against anti-Semitism. It is a plague that endangers everyone, not just us," he said.

The attack came ahead of dozens of rallies against anti-Semitism scheduled to take place across France.

Tuesday's demonstrations are being organised by 14 political parties and are expected to take place in as many as 60 cities.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47289129
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.