Author Topic: The Padres show Machado the $300 million  (Read 1427 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The Padres show Machado the $300 million
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:27:21 pm »
. . . and make chumps out of other so-called small market teams crying poverty while pocketing yummy dollars before the first Opening Day ump yells "Play ball!"
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/02/19/the-padres-show-machado-the-300-million/

Bryce Harper and Manny Machado—
Machado’s signing for 300 million balloons
with the Padres. It may mean the beginning of
the end of tanking . . .

Oops. Even as I was writing “Tanks, Damned Tanks, Dollars, and Nonsense,” in which I pondered the pros and cons teams might see in Manny Machado, Machado and the Padres dropped the big one. Ten years, $300 million, with a clause allowing Machado to opt out of the deal after five.

The Padres add a player who’s averaged almost five wins above a replacement level player a season for his first seven seasons and was worth 5.7 WAR in 2018. It’s only his fourth-highest single-season WAR, but it was his best season at the plate: he had his highest-ever single season on-base and slugging percentages, his highest-ever single-season OPS, and his best single season for creating runs with 120. His 191 runs produced in 2018 were ten above his career average per 162 games and tied his career best for a single season.

At age 25, Machado’s a year younger than Mike Trout, generally regarded as baseball’s greatest all-around player today, and a player who’s either going to extend with the Angels or test his own free agency waters after the 2020 season approaching age 28. And, yes, he’s signing the biggest contract ever for a baseball player, bigger than Alex Rodriguez’s $250 million.

But the Padres also add a player who has, like A-Rod though for different reasons, generated a little controversy during his career.

Bryce Harper has a reputation for being superstar caliber and not always fundamentally sound. Machado has one for being superstar caliber and not clean, whether it comes down to hustle or whether he plays the game crossing the line between hard nosed and plain dirty. If it’s not unseemly to crib from something I finished writing not half an hour before I sat down to write this, I’ll do it:

Harper at least has never spoken aloud of being a player who doesn’t always put his best effort forth. Machado has. Notoriously. As in, during the National League Championship Series, when he didn’t run a grounder out in Game Two, and slid so half competently in Game Three that one of the two slides helped make a double play against the Dodgers, then admitted to The Athletic‘s Ken Rosenthal, “Obviously I’m not going to change, I’m not the type of player that’s going to be ‘Johnny Hustle,’ and run down the line and slide to first base and . . . you know, whatever can happen. That’s just not my personality, that’s not my cup of tea, that’s not who I am.”

But Machado went further in the same interview: “Should I have given it a little more effort? One hundred percent. (It’s) my fault like always, I mean that’s just my mentality when I’m in the game. (There are) things that you learn, things that you gotta change. I’ve tried changing it for eight years and I still can’t figure it out but, one of these days I will.” To which Rosenthal added, “Some will see accountability in Machado’s words, viewing him a player who wants to do the right thing, but for whatever reason stumbles at certain times. Others will react to his, ‘I’m not ‘Johnny Hustle’ comment and lambaste him . . . considering anything less than maximum effort unacceptable. Still others might adopt an opinion somewhere in between, appreciating the nuance in Machado’s remarks.”

Those would be legitimate reasons for teams otherwise willing to show them the money to be slow if not hesitant to sign either Harper or Machado . . . And Machado is often seen as a player who crosses lines into dirty play often enough to provoke questions as to how that might translate in a new clubhouse.

Clearly, though, Machado enjoyed his time on the West Coast last season, where he played with the Dodgers and went to the World Series with them, following his mid-season trade from the Orioles. (There were those who thought Machado preferred to play somewhere reasonably closer to his Miami home.) With the Dodgers anticipating the return of shortstop Corey Seager this season, they had little to no place for him if they wanted to sign him on his own.

There were moments when it looked like the Phillies wanted Machado as badly as they’re believed to want Harper. There were moments when it looked like the White Sox wanted Machado badly enough that they sweetened the potential pot by adding his brother-in-law and a close friend or two.

And now comes a wrinkle: Former Yankee star Mark Teixiera, working now as an ESPN analyst, says no big market teams had offers on Machado’s table. Not even the Yankees, who’ve never been afraid to open the vault when there was a chance to land a Machado-type even if they’re not quite as profligate as they used to be when The Boss was still alive. Never mind that the White Sox aren’t a small market team, they only behave like one. And San Diego isn’t Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, or San Francisco.

You guessed it. The Padres, the smallish market Padres, whom some people thought were in the tank but who’ve actually been struggling to put a winner on their field, just showed Manny Machado the money you’d have expected only the big market boys and girls to show him. Who says the small market teams don’t have money to spend, stupid or otherwise?

With one stroke of his pen, Machado blows the argument that the smallish market teams don’t have the resources the big boys and girls have in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia (where the Phillies’ ownership has said they’re ready to spend “stupid money”—your move, Mr. Harper!), and even San Francisco right out of the ocean. You can just imagine the brass in places like Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Oakland, and Tampa Bay ready to measure Padres owner Ron Fowler for a noose, if not a guillotine.

Commissioner Rob Manfred thinks “the notion that payroll is a good measure for how much a team is trying or how successful that team is going to be.” Machado and the Padres say the first four words of the previous sentence are on the wrong side.

There’s no guarantee that spending, stupid money or otherwise, gets you to the Promised Land, if you define the Promised Land as not just playing October baseball but winning the World Series. The Yankees, after all, have gotten back to the Promised Land only once since Y2K, and they’re not exactly baseball’s skinflints. And there have been those who didn’t spend like assorted Congresses or assorted presidents but got to the Promised Land regardless, and more often than you think.

But when it comes to asking, “Do I have a better chance of getting to the Promised Land soon enough with spending big enough,” the Padres and their new have just sent the message that the answer fans of all smallish market teams would most like to hear from their teams is a resounding enough “Yes.”

The Padres weren’t thought to be entering 2019 as a great team or even a minimally good one. But Sam Miller of ESPN thinks they’re going to be better than advertised. “The Padres probably won’t be very good this year, but with the best current farm system in baseball they probably will be quite good in many of the next half-dozen years, and players like Manny Machado aren’t just freely available to pick up when a team decides to flip the switch and compete,” Miller writes. “They just got an MVP candidate for the middle of the lineup and all it cost them was money.”

“This gives San Diego’s entire rebuild a firm foundation,” says Miller’s fellow ESPN scribe Bradford Doolittle. “As big as the contract numbers are, it’s fair value for what Machado is likely to do in the future and because of his age and the length of his track record, the risk is comparatively low for deal this large.”

The deal does a few other favours around baseball. Since Machado isn’t going to the White Sox, the Indians can practically start pacing their players for another October run considering the weakness of the American League Central otherwise. The AL East has one less headache to worry about out of New York now that Machado won’t be wearing those Yankee pinstripes.

It may also do Harper a few favours. With Machado now getting the money he was projected to get when last season ended, and with Harper thought to be in line for similar money, Harper might just get it. Harper has the tools and the upside still, but at the same age with the same seven major league seasons Harper has averaged one less WAR per season. Harper has been more run productive per 162 games by eighteen over their careers, and he created one run less than Machado last year while using a few less outs to do it. Lifetime, Harper has 693 runs created using 2,524 outs to do it and Machado has 586 runs created using 2,845 outs to do it.

Those are striking enough differences in run production and run creation, which are the names of the game when you’re at the plate and on the bases. So what makes Machado the slightly better player? Harper’s defense in the outfield has receded considerably the last couple of years; Machado’s on the left side of the infield has been better. Machado doesn’t cost his teams quite as many runs in the field as Harper does, and Machado plays a tougher pair of defensive positions.

And before you begin to wonder whether Petco Park’s notoriety as a pitcher’s haven will suppress Machado’s bat, be reminded that a) Machado hits high drives when he connects right, which is very often; and, b) Petco Park is actually a lot friendlier to those whose natural high-drive power goes to left field, the seventh best such ballpark in the Show. And, as Eno Sarris of The Atlantic says, “Guess where Machado likes to hit his?”

Sarris also points out that adding Machado now gives the Padres almost the best infield in the league. “The ‘Fans’ projections on FanGraphs are almost always overly optimistic when you’re talking about a one-year projection, but when you’re talking about the upside that an infield like Machado, [Fernando] Tatís, [Jose] Urías and [Eric] Hosmer can produce, they can help. The fans say this group would produce 16+ wins together in full seasons this year. Only the Astros, Dodgers and Cubs are projected to produce more than 16 wins on the infield this year, and we haven’t added in any of the Padres’ depth pieces like [Ian] Kinsler.”

But Machado may have done more now than assure that Harper will be shown the money, give or take a few balloons, or that the Padres will win quite a bit more than projected this season. If the Machado deal begins the end of tanking as we know it, he and the Padres just did baseball and its fans one of the still-new century’s biggest favours yet.
---------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

Re: The Padres show Machado the $300 million
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:27:59 pm »
Fools and their money.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:49:23 pm »
My two cents...

I met Manny...he played X-box with my grandson just before he was brought up to The Show.

IMO, he looked at living in San Diego all year round.  There's not a more beautiful place around.  He'll live like a king.  Have his own crew.   He'll own that town.

On $30M per ... without talking about endorsements.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:57:06 pm »
My two cents...

I met Manny...he played X-box with my grandson just before he was brought up to The Show.

IMO, he looked at living in San Diego all year round.  There's not a more beautiful place around.  He'll live like a king.  Have his own crew.   He'll own that town.

@DCPatriot
I spent a lot of time in San Diego myself when I lived in southern California. That waterfront is to die for. If Machado likes the beach and the waters in his off time (and since he's a Floridian, why would he not!), he'll feel like he's living better than a king.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:03:43 pm »
@DCPatriot
I spent a lot of time in San Diego myself when I lived in southern California. That waterfront is to die for. If Machado likes the beach and the waters in his off time (and since he's a Floridian, why would he not!), he'll feel like he's living better than a king.

@EasyAce

Exactly!

One of my sons texted me immediately upon hearing the news...wondering why he didn't take $220M and play for the Yankees.

I texted back...Have you ever been to San Diego, Adam??  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:56:49 pm »
I always thought Machado was a nut case.  That vote now goes to the guy who gave hiim $300M

Also saw a rumour Yard Barker article that stated the Halo's might not offer Trout an extension. 

A fan can dream can't he?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:00:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 09:57:42 pm »
@EasyAce

Exactly!

One of my sons texted me immediately upon hearing the news...wondering why he didn't take $220M and play for the Yankees.

I texted back...Have you ever been to San Diego, Adam??  LOL!
@DCPatriot
There's that and also that the Yankees didn't seem to have the need for him on the left side of the infield when all was said and done. They have depth enough to be able to cover for losing Didi Gregorius for the season, they can slide Miguel Andujar over if need be, they're covered. Plus---and I'm sure this had to creep into Machado's mind---Yankee Stadium might hurt him as a hitter a little bit more. It may not have quite the cavernous left field/left center field it used to have, but it's still deep enough to neutralise Machado's power a bit. (Machado might actually have had an easier time hitting in the Mets' ballpark if he wanted to play in New York and the Mets were interested in having him.)

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 10:04:41 pm »
@DCPatriot
There's that and also that the Yankees didn't seem to have the need for him on the left side of the infield when all was said and done. They have depth enough to be able to cover for losing Didi Gregorius for the season, they can slide Miguel Andujar over if need be, they're covered. Plus---and I'm sure this had to creep into Machado's mind---Yankee Stadium might hurt him as a hitter a little bit more. It may not have quite the cavernous left field/left center field it used to have, but it's still deep enough to neutralise Machado's power a bit. (Machado might actually have had an easier time hitting in the Mets' ballpark if he wanted to play in New York and the Mets were interested in having him.)

Great point, @EasyAce
It's a long way to Monument Park from home plate.    On a myriad of levels!    888high58888

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:59 pm »
I always thought Machado was a nut case.  That vote now goes to the guy who gave hiim $300M

Also saw a rumour Yard Barker article that stated the Halo's might not offer Trout an extension. 

A fan can dream can't he?

Can you imagine both Trout and Harper in Philly?

We're talking Mantle/Maris here.    :laugh:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:07:37 pm »
Can you imagine both Trout and Harper in Philly?

We're talking Mantle/Maris here.    :laugh:

$60M annually on two players?  I thought only the Yankees could afford that. :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 10:41:51 pm »
$60M annually on two players?  I thought only the Yankees could afford that. :cool:

You're right.

I'm from the Church of Pitching is Everything.

Therefore, Harper should stay in D.C. now that they've replaced Roarke with Corbin.  But he's not getting more than $300M from them.

IMO, the potential for 3 or 4 WS rings in the mix should change any baseball player's mind.  How much $$$ is enough, where you can still be excited and focused every plate appearance?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 10:51:30 pm »
@catfish1957
Each team in the league banks a guaranteed $60 million before the first pitch of any season is even thrown. That comes from those yummy national broadcast dollars and those yummy MLBAdvancedMedia dollars. Each team also banks a guaranteed $20-$30 million in local/regional broadcasting monies before the first Opening Day holler of "Play ball!" That's $80-$90 million free money right off (pardon the expression) the bat for all teams, not just the big boys. (And that's before a) those teams who get them get their, ahem, revenue shares; b) they get their shares of other delicious dollars by way of the assorted and sundry "partnerings" with MLB.)

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 10:55:07 pm »
@catfish1957
Each team in the league banks a guaranteed $60 million before the first pitch of any season is even thrown. That comes from those yummy national broadcast dollars and those yummy MLBAdvancedMedia dollars. Each team also banks a guaranteed $20-$30 million in local/regional broadcasting monies before the first Opening Day holler of "Play ball!" That's $80-$90 million free money right off (pardon the expression) the bat for all teams, not just the big boys. (And that's before a) those teams who get them get their, ahem, revenue shares; b) they get their shares of other delicious dollars by way of the assorted and sundry "partnerings" with MLB.)

Cash Cow point taken.  But in the example we were opining above, there are still 23 others that have to be employed.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 11:02:24 pm »
@catfish1957

Interested in your thoughts on whether 7 of the 30 teams are operating in the red.  (Not to downplay or dispute your "fat cat" owners claim here.

https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:33 pm »
Interested in your thoughts on whether 7 of the 30 teams are operating in the red.  (Not to downplay or dispute your "fat cat" owners claim here.

https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#tab:overall
I've learned over the years that what teams claim versus what actually is is often very different. It's to question, actually whether the seven teams in the red got their by way of actual baseball operations or by way of other spending not directly or explicitly tied to baseball operations.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 07:21:03 pm »
My two cents...

@DCPatriot
@EasyAce

San Diego is a nice place, to be sure.
My 1st wife came from there.
Well, that part didn't turn out so nice....