Author Topic: Grand Canyon Tourists Exposed To Radiation For Nearly Two Decades  (Read 4908 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Grand Canyon Tourists Exposed To Radiation For Nearly Two Decades

Graeme Gallagher | Contributor
2/18/19

Three paint buckets full of uranium were sitting in the Grand Canyon’s museum collection building, exposing tourists for nearly two decades to radiation, according to USA Today on Monday.

Even though the five-gallon containers were removed from the site last June, this is the first time that park workers or the public have been warned of the possible exposure to radiation.

The park’s safety, health and wellness manager Elston Stephenson sent an email Feb. 4 to all Park Service employees about the alleged cover-up.

“If you were in the Museum Collections Building (2C) between the year 2000 and June 18, 2018, you were ‘exposed’ to uranium by OSHA’s definition,” Stephenson wrote.

Stephenson said that he repeatedly told Park executives to warn the public and workers, but was always shut down.

More at link:  https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/18/grand-canyon-radiation-decades/
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Grand Canyon Tourists Exposed To Radiation For Nearly Two Decades
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:10:44 pm »
The last time I was at the Canyon they still had an abandoned Uranium mine within walking distance of the South Rim Visitor's Center.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:14:10 pm »
I better check my basement. Never know when you might have a couple of paint cans full of hazmat lying around.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:16:30 pm »
I better check my basement. Never know when you might have a couple of paint cans full of hazmat lying around.

I have five sons.  There is almost always some form of hazmat in my basement.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 03:20:09 pm »
i'm on it!  Got my trusty Sears store bought out of storage.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:50:41 pm »
Don't forget all the radioactive Coleman mantles.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:20 pm »
Somewhere, unless I lost it I have a radioactive anti-static brush for cleaning albums.

Oh, and I have a bunch of radioactive rocks from my dad. He had a display of fluorescent rocks.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 04:57:46 pm »
My husband and I have hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon twice, and haven't visited any museums, so I guess we're safe.  wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 05:15:51 pm »
Stephenson could be a trouble maker?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 05:31:35 pm »
Stephenson could be a trouble maker?

He is...but the Parks people did find Uranium laying around.  Malcontents can sometimes be accurate too.

I'm not that surprised because the South Rim used to be the site of an active Uranium mine. 
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 05:33:24 pm »
My husband and I have hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon twice, and haven't visited any museums, so I guess we're safe.  wink777

I always wanted to do that.   :crying:
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 05:43:52 pm »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:44:35 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 05:49:20 pm »
Oh my gosh!

***hair on fire

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 05:58:01 pm »
I would rather sit on my ass, or a mule.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/mule_trips.htm

It's a long hike to the river from the South Rim.  The most commonly used trail is Bright Angel, I saw lots of mules on it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 06:04:41 pm »
Somewhere, unless I lost it I have a radioactive anti-static brush for cleaning albums.

Oh, and I have a bunch of radioactive rocks from my dad. He had a display of fluorescent rocks.

I sure I got my daily dose back in the '60 and '70's.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 06:05:31 pm »

As I walked I would see in the faces of people on those mules that they really wanted to be down walking instead.

Maybe it was the thought of trusting their life to an animal as they stared down below.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 06:08:45 pm »
I always wanted to do that.   :crying:

It was a grand experience!

The first time was in July............ WAY too hot. (115 degrees at the bottom.......... and it's a long way from when you get to the bottom to Phantom Ranch!)

The second time we got smart and went in May.  It was snowing at the top, but as we went down and it got warmer we saw the most amazing vegetation, including gorgeous cactus in bloom, wildlife and God's AMAZING creation in the colors of the rocks.

We camped in a tent by Bright Angel Creek and headed back up at about 4:00 in the morning to avoid the heat.

It's a Loooooooong way up!

Nothing in the world quite like it.

Of all the magnificent experiences in nature I've had, it was by far the best!  I'd do it again in a heart beat!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 06:10:23 pm »

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/mule_trips.htm

Even though no one has ever died going down on a mule, I'd be scared to death because they love to go right up to the edge and I have intense acrophobia.

When you're on your own feet, you can hug the inner edge of the trail.  MUCH better!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
What was the actual radiation exposure here?  Just because the buckets contained uranium does not mean that everyone nearby received a dangerous dose of radiation.

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:33 pm »
What was the actual radiation exposure here?  Just because the buckets contained uranium does not mean that everyone nearby received a dangerous dose of radiation.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2019/02/18/grand-canyon-tourists-exposed-radiation-safety-manager-says/2876435002/

...The report indicated radiation levels at "13.9 mR/hr" where the buckets were stored, and "800 mR/hr" on contact with the ore. Just 5 feet from the buckets, there was a zero reading. The abbreviation, "mR" typically stands for milliroentgen, a measurement roughly equivalent to a millirem, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The NRC says average radiation exposure in the United States from natural sources is 300 millirems per year at sea level, or 400 at high altitude. 

The commission lists a maximum safe dosage for the public, beyond natural radiation, is no more than 2 millirems per hour, or 100 per year....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Bill Cipher

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 06:43:14 pm »
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2019/02/18/grand-canyon-tourists-exposed-radiation-safety-manager-says/2876435002/

...The report indicated radiation levels at "13.9 mR/hr" where the buckets were stored, and "800 mR/hr" on contact with the ore. Just 5 feet from the buckets, there was a zero reading. The abbreviation, "mR" typically stands for milliroentgen, a measurement roughly equivalent to a millirem, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The NRC says average radiation exposure in the United States from natural sources is 300 millirems per year at sea level, or 400 at high altitude. 

The commission lists a maximum safe dosage for the public, beyond natural radiation, is no more than 2 millirems per hour, or 100 per year....

So, unless you were standing right next to the buckets, or were rummaging around in them, your exposure was minimal. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:30 pm »

The story doesn't give the data from the Geiger counters.  IMHO that whole place has high background radiation, being a former site of a Uranium mine.  Somewhere in the pile of stuff I'm moving to our new home I have some snapshots I took of the mine.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 07:05:50 pm »
So, unless you were standing right next to the buckets, or were rummaging around in them, your exposure was minimal.

School kids taking a guided tour of the Visitors Center stood right next to the buckets for half-hour discussions about the Canyon.  They were parked next to the Taxidermy exhibit.  Park workers worked next to them for years.

I'm not a big fan of inflated fears over these things, but this looks pretty bad.
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 07:27:58 pm »
School kids taking a guided tour of the Visitors Center stood right next to the buckets for half-hour discussions about the Canyon.  They were parked next to the Taxidermy exhibit.  Park workers worked next to them for years.

I'm not a big fan of inflated fears over these things, but this looks pretty bad.

Get ready for the law suits over any ailment known to man to be blamed on these "buckets".   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 07:37:56 pm »
Get ready for the law suits over any ailment known to man to be blamed on these "buckets".

'Firmtive.
I will NOT comply.