Author Topic: UK to Regulate and Tax Facebook In Order to ‘Protect Democracy’  (Read 583 times)

rangerrebew

UK to Regulate and Tax Facebook In Order to ‘Protect Democracy’
By Corinne Weaver | February 18, 2019 2:08 PM EST

Foreign governments are preparing to crack down on social media monopolies.

An English House of Commons committee, the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee, released a report claiming Facebook’s flaws were “risking the U.K.’s democracy.”

Lawmakers from eight other countries — Canada, Brazil, France, Ireland, Argentina, Singapore, Belgium and Latvia — joined with the House of Commons to investigate Facebook, according to Fortune magazine The report detailed the issues concerning “fake news” that was being spread on the platform as well as the multiple data and privacy leaks that have plagued Facebook in the past year. The report called for regulation and taxation of Facebook.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/techwatch/corinne-weaver/2019/02/18/uk-regulate-and-tax-facebook-order-protect-democracy

rangerrebew

What they actually mean is to protect Brits from the truth about Islam that could come from other countries. *look*

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah, whenever anyone starts whingeing about "protecting democracy" watch your back.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yeah, whenever anyone starts whingeing about "protecting democracy" watch your back.

You said it!  But it couldn't happen here!  wink777
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline kevindavis007

In all fairness, I have seen people who thinks that Facebook should be regulated like a public utility.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I would not rule out this is also done against fake news, Russian trolls and so on. Maybe we can spot it and maybe not...

http://www.russialies.com/

About two weeks ago, "compact news" account on twitter was reporting on the impending invasion of Venezuela with even helicopters in the sky. No, people do not need this kind of garbage. Okay, we should have a free press, guess who doesn't have a free press? Russia where this propaganda can come from.

88finger point

Offline TomSea

Even TV is regulated,

Alex Jones has a lot of actually entertaining and informative radio shows, but then, does it need to be tainted with Sandy Hook conspiracies and all of his other far-fetched information?  Some of the stuff he's talked about is really way out, FEMA zones. And then, this just gets grouped in with "right-wing" news. Some of this kind of news is not good for us.

Same thing when you start letting in the holocaust deniers and so on. Okay, TV is regulated, the web is rather open and most of us can shut down perceived..

8bs8

in seconds....

Zuckerman, is that his name? Was invited to show up but did not after numerous invitations. I forget what it was but it was shown that some pretty seedy stuff came through on facebook.

Even TOS banned Infowars, unsure if there are that many other sites they ban for content versus, say for copywright reasons.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:42:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

After CNN Report, Facebook Censors Pages With Claimed Links to Russia
Maffick CEO slams Facebook for unprovoked censorship
Jason Ditz Posted on February 18, 2019Categories NewsTags censorship, CNN, facebook, RT   

Facebook has suspended a number of accounts linked to Maffick Media following a report by CNN claimed the group is secretly linked with the Russian government. Maffick Media is based in Germany, and while it is partly owned by a Russian subsidiary, the company says it has full editorial independence.

CNN noted Maffick’s part-ownership by Ruptly, a Russian state media subsidiary, and accused them of not disclosing this ownership on Facebook, even though Facebook had never required any such disclosure, and no one is even accusing Maffick of spreading any disinformation on the pages.

Public documents show Maffick is 51% owned by Ruptly, a Germany-based news agency which is itself owned by Russia’s state television station RT.

Read more at: https://news.antiwar.com/2019/02/18/after-cnn-report-facebook-censors-pages-with-claimed-links-to-russia/

See here, I would watch out for some of this. I've heard of this mentioned website, Ruptly, I think I've looked at it. Propaganda needs to be answered... especially some of this Russian stuff is pretty obscene and is just to circumvent the truth, imho.