Author Topic: Tiny Homes for Homeless Get the Go-Ahead in the Wake of Camp Fire  (Read 1169 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Tiny Homes for Homeless Get the Go-Ahead in the Wake of Camp Fire

Before the state's most destructive wildfire tore through Butte County, detailed plans for a tiny home village for the homeless in Chico were met with a mix of indifference, NIMBY-ism and outright rejection from a previous city council.

But November's Camp Fire, which killed 85 people and incinerated some 14,000 area homes, breathed new life into plans for a community of one-room wooden homes to help house some of Butte County's homeless.

"The fire created a whole new reality, it added an urgency for sure," says Charles Withuhn, a volunteer and board member with the nonprofit Chico Housing Action Team or CHAT. The current city council has given the project the go-ahead.
Some Camp Fire Survivors Must Leave Their Properties. But Where Will They Go?

Read more at: https://www.kqed.org/news/11727080/tiny-homes-for-homeless-get-the-go-ahead-in-the-wake-of-camp-fire

I'm not sure if that tweet I posted earlier was that much of a help and I don't think twitter is a good source, I found this article more on topic.  Hopefully, all of these people, the ones they can get through to at least, can be helped.  Homelessness in some areas has now gone beyond the alcoholics, drug addicts and mentally ill which seems to be a standby answer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:58:39 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Tiny Homes for Homeless Get the Go-Ahead in the Wake of Camp Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:07 pm »
I'm not sure if that tweet I posted earlier was that much of a help and I don't think twitter is a good source, I found this article more on topic.  Hopefully, all of these people, the ones they can get through to at least, can be helped.  Homelessness in some areas has now gone beyond the alcoholics, drug addicts and mentally ill which seems to be a standby answer.

This is one reason I object to the "homeless" label.  These don't appear to be drug and alcohol addled ne'er-do-wells, but instead people of limited means who lost their homes in those fires.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Tiny Homes for Homeless Get the Go-Ahead in the Wake of Camp Fire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »
This is one reason I object to the "homeless" label.  These don't appear to be drug and alcohol addled ne'er-do-wells, but instead people of limited means who lost their homes in those fires.

:thumbsup: