Author Topic: The extremely badass story of the most decorated Montford Point Marine  (Read 676 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Earning a Silver Star—the military’s third highest award for valor in combat—is no easy task. But what about doing it twice in two different wars? It's damn near unheard of, but that’s precisely what Marine Corps Sgt. Maj. Louis Roundtree did—the most decorated of any Montford Point Marine. 
More than 20,000 African-American Marine recruits were trained at Montford Point in North Carolina, between 1942 and 1948. African-Americans were historically barred from joining the Corps until the pressures of World War II forced President Franklin D. Roosevelt to open the ranks to black recruits for the service's first time......

....During the Battle of Incheon, Roundtree’s company single-handedly destroyed three enemy tanks and decimated a reinforced North Korean battalion. As the division moved north into the Chosin Reservoir, he and his fellow Marines found themselves surrounded by an estimated six to eight enemy divisions. 
With his weapon riddled with enemy bullet holes, and his hands wounded, Roundtree picked up a rifle of a wounded American Marine and charged up a hill to assault an enemy bunker. 
“Upon nearing the bunker, he was literally swept from his feet by a hostile satchel charge and, although rolled back down the steep slope, bruised and bleeding, refused medical attention, rendering assistance to other casualties until the serious nature of his wounds compelled his evacuation,” his Silver Star citation reads. .......

..and that's just a fraction of his story...

https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/highly-decorated-marine-corps-sergeant-major-louis-roundtree?fbclid=IwAR0Tfdiz0rK5cJfJTYNiM4czZwKDAipxNRteh9Dh5bWi8XfggnLlB0mdMcY

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The extremely badass story of the most decorated Montford Point Marine
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:02:22 pm »
If what I read was within shouting range of accurate,he should have received a MoH or a DSC.

And this is coming from someone who has an IMMENSE amount of respect for people who get Silver Stars they don't put themselves in for,like John Kerry.

Good for you,SMAG!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:17 pm »
I never get tired of hearing these guys' stories.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:25:34 am »
Yet another true American hero that damned few have ever heard of.   Can't help but wonder why that is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien