Author Topic: 230,000 Died in a Dam Collapse That China Kept Secret for Years  (Read 2078 times)

Online corbe

230,000 Died in a Dam Collapse That China Kept Secret for Years

Justin Higginbottom

1 day ago

Banqiao dam 2© Provided by Ozy Media, Inc.

Workers stood along the top of Banqiao Dam, some 150 feet above the valley’s floor, desperately trying to repair its crest as rain from Typhoon Nina fell for a third straight day. After battering Taiwan, the storm had moved inland where it was expected to dissipate, but Nina turned north instead, reaching the Huai River basin on Aug. 5, 1975, where a cold front blocked its progression. Parked in place, the typhoon generated more than a year’s worth of rain in 24 hours.

By the time night fell on Aug. 8, as many as 65 area dams had collapsed. But despite the fact that water levels at the Banqiao Dam had far exceeded a safe capacity, and a number of sluice gates for controlling water flow were clogged with silt, authorities felt confident they’d skirt disaster. After all, the Soviet-designed dam had been built to survive a typhoon — a once-every-1,000-year occurrence that could dump 11 inches of rain per day. Unfortunately, Typhoon Nina would prove to be a once-every-2,000-year storm, bearing down with enough force to cause the world’s deadliest infrastructure failure ever.

Chen Xing, one of China’s foremost hydrologists, had followed the construction of Banqiao in 1952 with concern. Chairman Mao Zedong, eager to modernize the country, ordered hundreds of dams built, which put people to work, provided electricity and tamed rivers as part of his brutal Great Leap Forward. After swimming across the Yangtze River in 1958, Zedong penned a poem about his obsession with dams: “Great plans are being made/ Walls of stone will stand upstream to the west …The mountain goddess if she is still there/ Will marvel at a world so changed.” Decades later, ignoring warnings from scientists and environmentalists, the Chinese government initiated construction of the Three Gorges Dam — the world’s largest power station — on the Yangtze.

Xing was one among many who feared the country was building too fast and too recklessly. When he designed the Suya Lake Reservoir in 1958 — at the time the largest reservoir in Asia — he was admonished for trying to add more sluice gates. Labeled a “right-wing opportunist,” he was eventually fired for being a vocal critic.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/230000-died-in-a-dam-collapse-that-china-kept-secret-for-years/ar-BBTHP8B?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

Re: 230,000 Died in a Dam Collapse That China Kept Secret for Years
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:14:17 pm »
...65 area dams had collapsed...

Think about that little piece of info....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:53:21 pm »
China has been a closed culture/society ruled w/an iron fist by autocratic
Dynasties from the Shang to the Manchu in 1912, a span of almost 4000 years.
Next came military dictators, followed by the Communists; where it is today.
Because of it's heritage, legacy and history, which smothered creativity and
innovation, China will never, N-E-V-E-R, become a ranking world power.
Yet our establishment flunkies remain oblivious.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:14:53 pm »
China has been a closed culture/society ruled w/an iron fist by autocratic
Dynasties from the Shang to the Manchu in 1912, a span of almost 4000 years.
Next came military dictators, followed by the Communists; where it is today.
Because of it's heritage, legacy and history, which smothered creativity and
innovation, China will never, N-E-V-E-R, become a ranking world power.
Yet our establishment flunkies remain oblivious.
They may not innovate their way to global dominance, but that doesn't mean they won't imitate their way there. Using technology others developed and a huge labor force and resource base, they could produce in quantities that have a quality all their own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:04:28 am »
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Three Gorges dam fail someday, as well...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:15:52 am »
One of our intelligencers called Chinese spying much bigger a theat than anyone else including Russia. This is in the past few months.

Yes, we can say China this or that, would never be a threat, but it is not the same situation. We actually helped them in a quest for modernity. Their standard of living has risen in part because of Uncle Sam and yes, they do seem to be stealing our technology.

By the same token, apparently in the past, mainly the Brits sold, introduced, however it is, opium, hence the opium wars.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:16:37 am »
Damn.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:13:18 am »
They may not innovate their way to global dominance, but that doesn't mean they won't imitate their way there. Using technology others developed and a huge labor force and resource base, they could produce in quantities that have a quality all their own.
----------------------------------
Respectfully Smokin,
As you well know, the Chinese cheat, lie and steal because they have no
legacy of creativity and innovation.
I'm asserting that these former habits are insufficient for them to ever
achieve global dominance.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 12:35:02 pm »
----------------------------------
Respectfully Smokin,
As you well know, the Chinese cheat, lie and steal because they have no
legacy of creativity and innovation.
I'm asserting that these former habits are insufficient for them to ever
achieve global dominance.
I wish I shared your optimism.  Take a good, long, look at our Government, from DC to many of the States, to the obstructionist policies which still exist, to the incredible push to send our industry down artificially lucrative but less effective paths, and despite that legacy of creativity and innovation, this nation is so busy squelching working legacy systems for dubious replacements for political reasons antithetical to our very core beliefs. We are, indeed, in trouble. 

The Chinese may be hampered by their totalitarianism, but they are having an effect. Whether it be by building islands in the South China Sea and arming them (without court injunctions from all the people who would stridently object to throwing rocks overboard), to the elimination of political dissent at home. Had we not been so encumbered by lawsuits and court actions and injunctions to make sure our military bought addadictome/whackitofame operations instead of ammunition, we could have done so much more--at least bought a couple of rounds for the gee whiz cannon on the Zumwalt. The Chinese have few constraints, certainly none imposed by special interest groups, and not even through international accords while we are tying our arms hind our back with nonsense.

We have more aggrieved groups, who I am quite sure have been convinced their petty matters matter, who can't even seem to figure out how or what to f**k, dusted with drifts of snowflakes who curl up in a ball like fainting goats at the first loud noise.
Who is becoming ineffective? Take another look as our greatest generation and those who grew up in its shadow are dying out with damned few to replace them, and tell me which nation is in serious trouble and which is just beginning to assert its hegemony.

Consider the enemies of this Republic have succeeded, often by popular demand, in turning two generations of our people into a divided, self centered, pu$$y-hat-wearing protest mob who have serious grievances but who have never missed more than one or two meals in a row, who have ever had a choice of a warm bed and a roof over their head who consider themselves downtrodden--the world's fattest poor people, the most mollycoddled of all--and by decree, for any less is to make them wards of the state and their parents criminals.

Now, that isn't all of America, by any measure, but FFS, not knowing what line to get in at the fricking bathroom? I doubt our enemies are so encumbered. Instead of tolerating antifa, they drive the tracks over the people who protest them and finish the job, when necessary, for under a buck. --not that I advocate that extreme solution--but I recognize that whatever I think of it, it is effective. For those who are behind that national agenda, there is no quibbling over the fate of the three winged butterfly, they'll pick them out of the mud on the tracks after moving forward, if there is time. If not, oh well.

It isn't that our troops aren't the world's best, their equipment the same, it is that the ignorant, the whiners, pantywaists and hand wringers back home will be the ones without the stomach or spine for a fight, who will fold their protest placards and slink away or chant against those who stand to form that ever thinner line between them and the barbaric methods of those we face. "Toxic masculinity", indeed.

Those who sought their '60s redux have it (Pick a cause, any cause, they'll find a protest mob, or rent one) and I am concerned that our next war will be a flashback to another war lost, not on the battlefield of some distant land, but on the corners of fashionable streets right here at home. Maybe we already have that, with troops in the field and jihadis and Communists in Congress. 

The Chinese aren't conflicted on that account, their Capitalism is just a means to an end--a gathering of resources, technology, manufacturing capability, and know how. They wait for the right time, train people to build it, fix it, and use it, and build their forces. The world sees the face they want the world to see, and very little else. They have the people and the resources to field that slightly lower tech in overwhelming numbers, and can out breed any people on the planet, should they choose to do so.

If we casually dismiss any threat because of our 'innovative superiority', we are more the fools, because there are those spies and traitors collecting that tech, not to mention an army of hackers, who are after that technology to transfer it to others who won't quibble about doing what they think needs to be done.

But there is still time to recognize the threat. Rome wasn't burned in a day.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:39:19 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 07:15:06 pm »
I wish I shared your optimism.  Take a good, long, look at our Government, from DC to many of the States, to the obstructionist policies which still exist, to the incredible push to send our industry down artificially lucrative but less effective paths, and despite that legacy of creativity and innovation, this nation is so busy squelching working legacy systems for dubious replacements for political reasons antithetical to our very core beliefs. We are, indeed, in trouble. 

The Chinese may be hampered by their totalitarianism, but they are having an effect. Whether it be by building islands in the South China Sea and arming them (without court injunctions from all the people who would stridently object to throwing rocks overboard), to the elimination of political dissent at home. Had we not been so encumbered by lawsuits and court actions and injunctions to make sure our military bought addadictome/whackitofame operations instead of ammunition, we could have done so much more--at least bought a couple of rounds for the gee whiz cannon on the Zumwalt. The Chinese have few constraints, certainly none imposed by special interest groups, and not even through international accords while we are tying our arms hind our back with nonsense.

We have more aggrieved groups, who I am quite sure have been convinced their petty matters matter, who can't even seem to figure out how or what to f**k, dusted with drifts of snowflakes who curl up in a ball like fainting goats at the first loud noise.
Who is becoming ineffective? Take another look as our greatest generation and those who grew up in its shadow are dying out with damned few to replace them, and tell me which nation is in serious trouble and which is just beginning to assert its hegemony.

Consider the enemies of this Republic have succeeded, often by popular demand, in turning two generations of our people into a divided, self centered, pu$$y-hat-wearing protest mob who have serious grievances but who have never missed more than one or two meals in a row, who have ever had a choice of a warm bed and a roof over their head who consider themselves downtrodden--the world's fattest poor people, the most mollycoddled of all--and by decree, for any less is to make them wards of the state and their parents criminals.

Now, that isn't all of America, by any measure, but FFS, not knowing what line to get in at the fricking bathroom? I doubt our enemies are so encumbered. Instead of tolerating antifa, they drive the tracks over the people who protest them and finish the job, when necessary, for under a buck. --not that I advocate that extreme solution--but I recognize that whatever I think of it, it is effective. For those who are behind that national agenda, there is no quibbling over the fate of the three winged butterfly, they'll pick them out of the mud on the tracks after moving forward, if there is time. If not, oh well.

It isn't that our troops aren't the world's best, their equipment the same, it is that the ignorant, the whiners, pantywaists and hand wringers back home will be the ones without the stomach or spine for a fight, who will fold their protest placards and slink away or chant against those who stand to form that ever thinner line between them and the barbaric methods of those we face. "Toxic masculinity", indeed.

Those who sought their '60s redux have it (Pick a cause, any cause, they'll find a protest mob, or rent one) and I am concerned that our next war will be a flashback to another war lost, not on the battlefield of some distant land, but on the corners of fashionable streets right here at home. Maybe we already have that, with troops in the field and jihadis and Communists in Congress. 

The Chinese aren't conflicted on that account, their Capitalism is just a means to an end--a gathering of resources, technology, manufacturing capability, and know how. They wait for the right time, train people to build it, fix it, and use it, and build their forces. The world sees the face they want the world to see, and very little else. They have the people and the resources to field that slightly lower tech in overwhelming numbers, and can out breed any people on the planet, should they choose to do so.

If we casually dismiss any threat because of our 'innovative superiority', we are more the fools, because there are those spies and traitors collecting that tech, not to mention an army of hackers, who are after that technology to transfer it to others who won't quibble about doing what they think needs to be done.

But there is still time to recognize the threat. Rome wasn't burned in a day.
--------------------------
Smokin,
Agree that Pogo and yourself have correctly identified the enemy; which is us.
The Founders bestowed a heritage; now frittered away by our culture of weenies.
Can we recover that legacy?
I'm hardly optimistic as history is indifferent and simply a scribe.
The level of Leadership prevalent in Ancient Greece and Rome is non-existent here
as well as across the globe and that presents a grave danger.
Vacuums invite tenants w/sharp elbows; predictably the ignorant and intolerant;
Latin America being a classic example/lesson.
Since the Spanish vacated; it has had a posse of abusers and hustlers who lined
their pockets while laughing. We are headed in that direction.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:18:10 pm by Absalom »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 07:30:03 pm »
--------------------------
Smokin,
Agree that Pogo and yourself have correctly identified the enemy; which is us.
The Founders bestowed a heritage; now frittered away by our culture of weenies.
Can we recover that legacy?
I'm hardly optimistic as history is indifferent and simply a scribe.
The level of Leadership prevalent in Ancient Greece and Rome is non-existent here
as well as across the globe and that presents a grave danger.
Vacuums invite tenants w/sharp elbows; predictably the ignorant and intolerant;
Latin America being a classic example/lesson.
Since the Spanish vacated; it has had a posse of abusers and hustlers who lined
their pockets while laughing. We are headed in that direction.
Well, the Spanish moved in on a culture rife with abuses and brutality and dominated it by being even more brutal and abusive--and if they hadn't looted it, Mel Fisher would have been picking up chump change (and the Atocha was just one ship).

The French were pikers compared to the Spanish, and when they left, things just took their course.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 08:25:53 pm »
Well, the Spanish moved in on a culture rife with abuses and brutality and dominated it by being even more brutal and abusive--and if they hadn't looted it, Mel Fisher would have been picking up chump change (and the Atocha was just one ship).

The French were pikers compared to the Spanish, and when they left, things just took their course.
-----------------------------
Not to go on and on but your comment about pre-Spain Latin America is on the mark.
The Aztec, Inca, Maya and the rest of the Tribes are romanticized by our culture ignoramuses.
And what habits and traits were they prominently identified with???
Why Cannibalism, Incest and Slavery among other behaviors!