Author Topic: Report: Japan did nominate Trump for Peace Prize — at U.S. request (NBC)  (Read 529 times)

Online corbe

Report: Japan did nominate Trump for Peace Prize — at U.S. request

Alex Johnson and Arata Yamamoto and Hallie Jackson

6 hrs ago

Just as President Donald Trump claimed last week, Japan's prime minister has, indeed, nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize — at the request of the White House — one of Japan's largest newspapers reported Sunday.

Trump boasted at a news conference on Friday that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had given him a copy of a five-page letter he'd sent to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which selects the annual Peace Prize laureates.

Referring to Abe, Trump said: "He said: 'I have nominated you, respectfully, on behalf of Japan. I am asking them to give you the Nobel Peace Prize.' I said, 'Thank you.'"

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/report-japan-did-nominate-trump-for-peace-prize-%e2%80%94-at-us-request/ar-BBTJITG?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
...the U.S. government "informally" asked...

That's a weasel claim if I ever saw one.

Bill Cipher

How desperate is that?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I’m guessing the president is in no hurry to receive the prize, since he’s in no rush for a peace deal.

Trump says he's in no rush to see North Korea give up nukes

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he wants to see North Korea eventually give up its nuclear weapons program, but adds he's not in any rush because U.S. relations with Pyongyang are good going into next week's summit.

"I have no pressing time schedule," Trump said.

Trump said his second meeting with North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un on Feb. 27 and 28 in Hanoi, Vietnam, would be "very exciting," but did not disclose details of what he hoped would be achieved.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/trump-says-hes-no-rush-204812096.html

Some of the highlights:

"Their location between Russia, China and South Korea is unbelievable.”

No, it’s geography and quite believable.

"As long as there's no testing, I'm in no rush. If there's testing, that's another deal."

Have all the nukes you’d like - just don’t test missiles. I wonder if Iran is paying attention?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I’m guessing the president is in no hurry to receive the prize, since he’s in no rush for a peace deal.

Trump says he's in no rush to see North Korea give up nukes

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he wants to see North Korea eventually give up its nuclear weapons program, but adds he's not in any rush because U.S. relations with Pyongyang are good going into next week's summit.

"I have no pressing time schedule," Trump said.

Trump said his second meeting with North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un on Feb. 27 and 28 in Hanoi, Vietnam, would be "very exciting," but did not disclose details of what he hoped would be achieved.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/trump-says-hes-no-rush-204812096.html

Some of the highlights:

"Their location between Russia, China and South Korea is unbelievable.”

No, it’s geography and quite believable.

"As long as there's no testing, I'm in no rush. If there's testing, that's another deal."

Have all the nukes you’d like - just don’t test missiles. I wonder if Iran is paying attention?

How odd.  It reads quite differently if you don't cherrypick and take out of context:

Trump noted that North Korea has not tested any rockets or missiles or nuclear weapons in months and said as long as testing has ceased, he's in no rush.

"I think I would like to see ultimately denuclearization of North Korea. I think we will see that ultimately," Trump said. "I have no pressing time schedule."

He said some people, including members of the media, want to see speedy progress on denuclearization.

"I really believe that North Korea can be a tremendous economic power when this is solved," he said, referring to Kim's pledge of denuclearization. "Their location between Russia, China and South Korea is unbelievable. I think that North Korea and Chairman Kim have some very positive things in mind. And we'll soon find out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:55:39 pm by Sanguine »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
How odd.  It reads quite differently if you don't cherrypick and take out of context:

Not really. The location of North Korea didn’t suddenly occur, through the magic of plate tectonics. It’s quite believable. It’s like suddenly realizing KC is in the middle of the US and might just make a good, centralized distribution hub.

As far as testing goes, that’s meaningless in the overall picture of whether they’re a threat. The tweet from last June and this statement is BS. They have yet to provide a warhead count or inspection of a device.

Pakistan hasn’t tested a nuclear device, since the 80s. The neighboring country of India does not disregard them as a nuclear threat, based on that criteria. It would be absurd.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.