Author Topic: Why the national emergency? A second term may be Trump’s only shield from an indictment  (Read 470 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why the national emergency? A second term may be Trump’s only shield from an indictment
By Kim Wehle, opinion contributor — 02/18/19 10:30 AM EST

President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency to build his foolish border wall has been roundly assailed as irrational, illegal and extremely dangerous. As a matter of the Constitution’s Appropriations Clause (which puts funding decisions in Congress’s hands), as well as the overall separation of powers, he is indeed playing with fire.

The criticisms are well-founded — and they come from both sides of the political aisle. That Republicans have joined Democrats to denounce this reckless maneuver is remarkable given their two years of shrugging off serial body-blows to the rule of law and norms of civility, decorum and truth from this president.

From the standpoint of Trump’s own hide, however, the national emergency declaration is not altogether irrational. Perhaps it reflects a steely-eyed realization that soothing his base in a bid for reelection might be the only thing standing between him, an indictment — and possibly jailtime.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/430432-why-the-national-emergency-a-second-term-may-be-trumps-only-shield-from
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
That's really a Democratic talking point. About all the comment I can make. A quick check appears to make it look like this Kim Wehle is a liberal loon. I don't know too much about her.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What a hit piece!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun wrote:
"Complete garbage!!"

One of the first things I do when I first look at post 1 of a thread is to see what the source is.

All I had to do was see the source of this one, and I realized it was "a skip"...