Author Topic: Plastics reach remote pristine environments, scientists say  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Plastics reach remote pristine environments, scientists say
« on: February 18, 2019, 02:58:34 pm »
This is sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/17/plastics-reach-remote-pristine-environments-scientists-say

Scientists have warned about the impact of plastic pollution in the most pristine corners of the world after discovering chemical additives in birds’ eggs in the High Arctic.

Eggs laid by northern fulmars on Prince Leopold Island in the Canadian Arctic tested positive for hormone-disrupting phthalates, a family of chemicals that are added to plastics to keep them flexible. It is the first time the additives have been found in Arctic birds’ eggs.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

Re: Plastics reach remote pristine environments, scientists say
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:23:45 pm »
Not really

Meh.

I guess not everybody will be bothered by the idea that even the most remote parts of the world are becoming tainted by chemicals used for plastic production. It'll definitely be with great sadness that I explain to my grandchildren how my generation and the ones that preceded it destroyed the natural world.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:56:31 pm »
Our modern technology makes it possible to make plastic-like items from biodegradable materials, using soy as an example.  Grocery bags, straws, etc.

We should stop using the ocean as a dump, and clean it up.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 06:21:51 pm »
Meh.

I guess not everybody will be bothered by the idea that even the most remote parts of the world are becoming tainted by chemicals used for plastic production. It'll definitely be with great sadness that I explain to my grandchildren how my generation and the ones that preceded it destroyed the natural world.

Meh yourself.  Presence is not destruction.  That’s a ridiculous leap of illogic. 

Offline dfwgator

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:24:22 pm »
Meh yourself.  Presence is not destruction.  That’s a ridiculous leap of illogic.

Chemicals from plastic showing up in remote arctic regions is writing on the wall. It's going to keep getting worse. Preserving nature isn't profitable enough, and money is the only thing that matters in this world.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:27:02 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I'm not ready to throw my hands up and accept that we're just shit out of luck like George did. If you watch that bit he acknowledges that he thinks we are screwed because of our own bad decisions. The planet will be fine, but we won't, and we deserve it. That's basically how George felt. I would be very depressed if I was as pessimistic as George was. He must have had some very ferocious demons.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:28:28 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 06:33:45 pm »
Chemicals from plastic showing up in remote arctic regions is writing on the wall. It's going to keep getting worse. Preserving nature isn't profitable enough, and money is the only thing that matters in this world.

You still made an illogical leap of faith. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:47 pm »
Meh.

Anything out there, loose in the biosphere will eventually be diffused throughout it.
As with all chemicals, he question is one of whether concentrations are sufficient to sustain or interfere with life.
Apparently the level of hormone disruption was not so extensive that the birds were failing to reproduce.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 02:18:17 am »
Our modern technology makes it possible to make plastic-like items from biodegradable materials, using soy as an example.  Grocery bags, straws, etc.

We should stop using the ocean as a dump, and clean it up.
I seem to recall reading that despite Americans being blamed for the plastics in the ocean, it actually comes from Asia.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 02:28:47 am »
I seem to recall reading that despite Americans being blamed for the plastics in the ocean, it actually comes from Asia.

Largely because that's where production has been outsourced to.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:30:01 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 02:59:56 am »
Largely because that's where production has been outsourced to.
PLEASE! The images that they use to shame and guilt the public are not of production cast offs, they are plastic rings used to hold six packs together, shopping bags, plastic knives and forks, etc. and the reason the majority comes from Asia is because third worlders don't give a damn the waterways and ocean are their toilets and garbage dumps. But the Gaia worshipers know that they can guilt the ignorant in the more advance countries like America..........even though here in America we have already beaten the goals of that asinine Paris accord, with signing something that had no teeth in it for the worst polluters like China and India.