Author Topic: Lawsuit: Atmos failed to keep odor in its gas before deadly hospital blast  (Read 736 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WacoTrib By KRISTIN HOPPA 2/14/2019

A worker injured in the Coryell Memorial Hospital explosion last June is suing Atmos Energy Company, claiming the natural gas firm failed to maintain the “rotten egg” odor that would alert them to a dangerous leak.

Attorneys with Harrison Davis Steakley Morrison Jones, P.C., filed the civil lawsuit Wednesday on behalf of Matt Aaron, 44, of Oglesby, and his family in Coryell County, who are seeking more than $1 million in damages.

The lawsuit states Aaron suffered extensive injuries and third-degree burns from the explosion, and blames the incident on a release of an odorless gas that went undetected by Atmos officials.

The June 26 explosion caused the deaths of three workers and injured 13 others. A State Fire Marshal’s Office report released in November concluded a large pocket of natural gas had flowed from disconnected gas lines into a boiler room, causing an explosion when ignited. The lawsuit claims that the gas was missing the putrid-smelling chemical Texas has required in natural gas service lines since the 1937 New London school explosion.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/lawsuit-atmos-failed-to-keep-odor-in-its-gas-before/article_f57382df-fad5-5d09-a98e-7f4d5ab631c2.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think I would first ask who left disconnected gas lines uncapped and open. A condom and a rubber band on the end of the line would indicate a slow leak in a valve ...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

...According to a statement released by Atmos in June and shortly after the explosion, no leaks were found on the company’s natural gas system. Testing was conducted and odorant levels in natural gas were found to be in compliance with regulations. The company repeated those findings in a statement Thursday and disowned responsibility for the incident.

“Atmos Energy does not have any facilities on the hospital grounds beyond the meter station,” the energy company stated...

and:

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/report-details-what-led-to-coryell-memorial-hospital-explosion/500-614194559

...Investigators said the natural gas most likely came from the open water heaters valves, according to the report.

“Valves to water heaters were open, allowing natural gas to flow freely into the mechanical room,” the report said.

According to the report, plumbers said they were “bleeding air off the natural gas lines during construction.”

Investigators found an oxy-acetylene torch unit in the mechanical room and tools and a BIC lighter in the debris around the hospital, the report said. Those items, as well as cellphones and fluorescent bulbs, could have ignited the explosion, according to the report...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Smell or no smell, it's a seriously questionable policy to vent a gas line into an enclosed space with ignition sources. While the smell might alert others, venting the line (back to the meter?) could put a mixture past LELs in that space before anyone could get out or shut down the ignition source (depending on how large and well ventilated the space was).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis