Author Topic: Ex-FISA court chief defends DOJ, FBI for handling of Carter Page surveillance applications  (Read 1315 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ex-FISA court chief defends DOJ, FBI for handling of Carter Page surveillance applications
by Daniel Chaitin
 | February 17, 2019 04:13 PM

U.S. District Judge John Bates, who once led the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, defended the Justice Department and embattled intelligence community for how it handled the application process to obtain warrants to spy on onetime Trump campaign aide Carter Page.

Bates, who was placed on the FISA court by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts and was its presiding judge from 2009 to 2013, said he has seen no evidence lending credibility to Republican concerns that officials misled the court in obtaining a 2016 FISA warrant and three renewals.

"I will note and note with some force that I have seen nothing that indicates that the court was misled, that the Department of Justice or the intelligence community made misrepresentations to the court," Bates told Lawfare podcast co-hosts David Kris and Nates Jones, the founders of the Culper Partners consulting firm. "And not only have I seen nothing that would indicate that, I have heard nothing that persuasively makes that case."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ex-fisa-court-chief-defends-doj-fbi-for-handling-of-carter-page-surveillance-applications
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Looks like Judge Bates is now in full CYA mode.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

And Baghdad Bob looks on with pride.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I want the SOBs dragged to GITMO and waterboarded until they tell the truth about everything they know.

From Hillary Clinton on down to Bruce Ohr's wife...and everybody in between.

Does that make me a "brownshirt"?     /S   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

That pretty well describes the entire category of "career government employees," globally in time, and in the case of the Trump attempted soft ongoing Coup.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I want the SOBs dragged to GITMO and waterboarded until they tell the truth about everything they know.

From Hillary Clinton on down to Bruce Ohr's wife...and everybody in between.

Does that make me a "brownshirt"?     /S   :laugh:

No, it makes you as pissed as I am.  He reminds me of a guy who got raped in prison...and liked it.  "Thank you sir, may I have another?"    Mister Bates just said more to prove the existence of a swamp than almost all who came before.

9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

Deep State gonna Deep State.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I wondered when we would hear from the court that so clearly mishandled this.

Offline Hoodat

Bates, who was placed on the FISA court by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts and was its presiding judge from 2009 to 2013, said he has seen no evidence lending credibility to Republican concerns that officials misled the court in obtaining a 2016 FISA warrant and three renewals.

"I will note and note with some force that I have seen nothing that indicates that the court was misled, that the Department of Justice or the intelligence community made misrepresentations to the court," Bates told Lawfare podcast co-hosts David Kris and Nates Jones, the founders of the Culper Partners consulting firm. "And not only have I seen nothing that would indicate that, I have heard nothing that persuasively makes that case."

There, fixed it.  This poser has just as much access to the relevant FIS Court documents as do I.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I wondered when we would hear from the court that so clearly mishandled this.

Doesn't exactly make us confident, does it?  Typical bureaucratic BS:  "There's no evidence I did anything wrong!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline kidd

Master Bates is ignoring the circular reference where the fake dossier was leaked to the media and then that same media was used as evidence to bolster the faked dossier.
He also ignores the fact that the first attempt to approve the surveillance was denied, which is very rare.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Master Bates is ignoring the circular reference where the fake dossier was leaked to the media and then that same media was used as evidence to bolster the faked dossier.
He also ignores the fact that the first attempt to approve the surveillance was denied, which is very rare.

As @Bigun noted upthread, this is full CYA mode.  Bureaucrats!  (Spit!)
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Oh, he's not ignoring it; he's trying to cover it up as deeply as he can.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oh, he's not ignoring it; he's trying to cover it up as deeply as he can.

I looked at all the quotes from Bates in the article.  He sounds like John Brennan.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I looked at all the quotes from Bates in the article.  He sounds like John Brennan.

Which is an interesting observation.  I wonder if he consulted Brennan.