Author Topic: Dershowitz: Trump's emergency declaration was a ‘mistake’  (Read 3865 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dershowitz: Trump's emergency declaration was a ‘mistake’
By Tal Axelrod - 02/17/19 07:01 AM EST

Attorney Alan Dershowitz said in a new interview that President Trump's decision to declare a  national emergency to build a wall along the southern border was a mistake.

“My own view is that it was a mistake to do it. I think emergencies are things that happened suddenly. The problems with immigration are long term,” he said in an interview that aired Sunday on John Catsimatidis’s radio show in New York.

“The Constitution requires that all spending bills originate in the House of Representatives. This is a way of circumventing that provision of the Constitution.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/430363-dershowitz-emergency-declaration-was-a-mistake
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Dershowitz: Trump's emergency declaration was a ‘mistake’
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:51:50 pm »
Emergencies are things that "happen suddenly?"

A Nation of Kate Steinle's ALL happened "suddenly" one at a time.

They are not coming back to us, suddenly or otherwise.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:00:59 pm »
I believe caravans formed and politically organized to challenge our borders and immigration laws are a recent phenomenon and might even fit the working definition of ‘an emergency’.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:01:15 pm »
Have to disagree here. Some are sudden and catastrophic, some build over time till they reach critical mass and get out of control.
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:15:49 pm »
So what was it when Obama declared a national emergency over a flu outbreak and no one had a word of concern?

I think our national security and sovereignty far outweigh the flu in importance as a ‘national’ emergency.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:23:01 pm »
So what was it when Obama declared a national emergency over a flu outbreak and no one had a word of concern?

I think our national security and sovereignty far outweigh the flu in importance as a ‘national’ emergency.

Money in selling flu vaccines.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:46:48 pm »
Have to disagree here. Some are sudden and catastrophic, some build over time till they reach critical mass and get out of control.
I wonder when it is an emergency for the frog in the slowly boiling pot he was placed in?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 10:07:35 pm »
I think Dersh has taken tons of heat, over siding too often with Trump.

This is a chance to earn his way back into his normal liberal supporters' good graces.

It is Constitutional because Congress passed the measure in 1976, and it has been used dozens of times.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 10:36:13 pm »
@Free Vulcan
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@QueenCatofAragon
@Cyber Liberty

Chaos theory:
Chaos happens with the last flap of a butterfly's wings:
A slight, not noticed bit of something happens, just like a not noticed flap of a butterfly's wings, then another tiny bit happens again, another flap of the butterfly's wings, and if nothing changes to stop it, at some time in the future, there will be one more flap of the butterfly's wings too much, and chaos happens and cannot be stopped.

Dershowitz is right, and it is because of this (yes, I have posted this link before but the people here need to know the truth of the matter.)  My guess is Dershowitz has read this - top attorneys know top attorneys and know what their specialty is. 

I taught Texas Election Law to attorneys because none of them had bothered to know it.  Now, they were running for judge positions and came to get that knowledge from my election law seminar - they now had a reason for learning it.  That is why I think Dershowitz has now read McFarland's article because he is an expert in eminent domain.   

Charles McFarland is the Texas member of the Owners’ Counsel of America, a network of leading eminent domain attorneys from across the country.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/declaring-national-emergency-fund-trump-s-border-wall-may-be-ncna966586
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:43:08 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31:31 pm »
'I didn't need to do this' - Trump

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:02 pm »
'I didn't need to do this' - Trump
@Once-Ler

Those six words will not be forgotten and will be used in court.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 11:53:17 pm »
@Once-Ler

Those six words will not be forgotten and will be used in court.
You're barking up the wrong tree.

If Congress had moved on the wall funds, of course he did not need to do this.

You are watching too much MSNBC.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 12:30:54 am »
You're barking up the wrong tree.

If Congress had moved on the wall funds, of course he did not need to do this.

You are watching too much MSNBC.

“I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it much faster.”

He waited two years, lost the House, and saw the prospect of his re-election fading, with the failure to build a wall. It’s clear what he was saying - ‘I need to save my political ass.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 01:19:09 am »
I think Dersh has taken tons of heat, over siding too often with Trump.

This is a chance to earn his way back into his normal liberal supporters' good graces.

It is Constitutional because Congress passed the measure in 1976, and it has been used dozens of times.

Correct. I don't care what others say about his decisions. They are not president, nor know inside information. President Trump implements the correct action for our country.  All this second guessing by others is boring to me. We've had about 75 National Emergency's by various presidents. In fact we still have some National Emergency's in effect. GOOGLE.

Hell if president TRUMP does..hell if he doesn't.  So, none of their opinions matter. If there was correct information "out there' of all of president TRUMP'S achievements, it might have merit.  They DON'T, SO IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT ANYONE THINKS.   WWW.MAGAPILL.COM

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 01:27:57 am »
What is the big deal? Because it is president TRUMP?  TDS  The BEST president ever!
--------------------------------
President Jimmy Carter
Nov. 14, 1979 (still in effect): A national emergency in response to the Iran hostage crisis, which froze Iran's assets in the United States;
April 17, 1980: Further Prohibitions on Transactions with Iran, never terminated or continued.

President Ronald Reagan
Oct. 14, 1983: Continuation of Export Control Regulations, revoked in 1983;
March 30, 1984: Continuation of Export Control Regulations, revoked in 1985;
May 1, 1985: Prohibiting Trade and Certain Other Transactions Involving Nicaragua, revoked in 1990;
Sept. 9, 1985: Prohibiting Trade and Certain Other Transactions Involving South Africa (in response to apartheid), revoked 1991;
Jan. 17, 1986: Prohibiting Trade and Certain Transactions Involving Libya, revoked 2004;
April 8, 1988: Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to Panama, revoked 1990.

President George H.W. Bush
August 2, 1990: Blocking Iraqi Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Iraq, revoked 2004;
Sept. 30, 1990: Continuation of Export Control Regulations, revoked 1993;
Nov. 16, 1990: Chemical and Biological Weapons Proliferation, revoked 1994;
Oct. 4, 1991: Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to Haiti, revoked 1994;
May 30, 1992: Blocking "Yugoslav Government" Property and Property of the Governments of Serbia and Montenegro, revoked 2003.

President Bill Clinton
Sept. 26, 1993: Prohibiting Certain Transactions Involving UNITA (a political party in Angola), revoked 2003;
Sept. 30, 1993: Measures to Restrict the Participation by United States Persons in Weapons Proliferation Activities, revoked 1994;
June 30, 1994: Continuation of Export Control Regulations, revoked 1994;
Aug. 19, 1994: Continuation of Export Control Regulations, revoked 2001;
Sept. 29, 1994: Measures to Restrict the Participation by United States Persons in Weapons Proliferation Activities, revoked 1994;
Oct. 25, 1994: Blocking Property and Additional Measures With Respect to the Bosnian Serb- Controlled Areas of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, revoked 2003;
Nov. 14, 1994 (still in effect): Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction, continued in November 2018;
Jan. 23, 1995 (still in effect): Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process, continued in January 2018;
March 15, 1995 (still in effect): Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources, continued in March 2018 and expanded in August 2018;
Oct. 21, 1995 (still in effect): Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers, continued in October 2018;
March 1, 1996 (still in effect): Regulation of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba, modified by President Obama in 2016 and again by President Trump in February 2018;
May 22, 1997: Prohibiting New Investment in Burma, terminated in October 2016;
Nov. 3, 1997 (still in effect): Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan, continued in October 2018;
June 9, 1998: Blocking Property of the Governments of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro), the Republic of Serbia, and the Republic of Montenegro, and Prohibiting New Investment in the Republic of Serbia in Response to the Situation in Kosovo, revoked in 2003;
July 4, 1999: Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with the Taliban, revoked in 2002;
June 21, 2000: Blocking Property of the Government of the Russian Federation Relating to the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium Extracted from Nuclear Weapons, expired 2012;
Jan. 18, 2001: Blocking Property of the Government of the Russian Federation Relating to the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium Extracted from Nuclear Weapons, revoked in 2004.

President George W. Bush
June 26, 2001 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans, continued in June 2018;
Aug. 17, 2001 (still in effect): Continuation of Export Control Regulations, continued August 2018;
Sept. 14, 2001 (still in effect): Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks, continued in September 2018;
Sept. 23, 2001 (still in effect): Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism, continued in September 2017;
March 6, 2003 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe, continued in March 2018;
May 22, 2003 (still in effect): Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest, continued in May 2018;
May 11, 2004 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria, continued in May 2018;
July 22, 2004: Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Importation of Certain Goods from Liberia, revoked in November 2015;
Feb. 7, 2006: Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Côte d'Ivoire, terminated in September 2016;
June 16, 2006 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus, continued in June 2018;
Oct. 27, 2006 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, continued in October 2018;
Aug. 1, 2007 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions, continued in July 2018;
June 26, 2008 (still in effect): Continuing Certain Restrictions With Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals, continued in October 2018.

President Barack Obama
Oct. 23, 2009: Declaration of a National Emergency With Respect to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic, was never terminated or continued;
April 12, 2010 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia, continued in 2018;
Feb. 25, 2011 (still in effect): Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya, continued in February 2018;
July 24, 2011 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations, continued in July 2018;
May 16, 2012 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen, continued in May 2012;
June 25, 2012: Blocking Property of the Government of the Russian Federation Relating to the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium Extracted from Nuclear Weapons, revoked in 2015;
March 6, 2014 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine, continued in March 2018;
April 3, 2014 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan, continued in March 2018;
May 12, 2014 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic, continued in May 2018;
March 8, 2015 (still in effect): Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela, continued in March 2018;
April 1, 2015 (still in effect): Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities, continued in March 2018;
Nov. 22, 2015 (still in effect): Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi, continued in November 2018.

President Donald Trump
Dec. 20, 2017: Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption;
Sept. 12, 2018: Imposing Certain Sanctions in the Event of Foreign Interference in a United States Election;
Nov. 27, 2018: Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua.

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 03:41:17 am »

“I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it much faster.”

He waited two years, lost the House, and saw the prospect of his re-election fading, with the failure to build a wall. It’s clear what he was saying - ‘I need to save my political ass.’

The very slight glimmer of hope that I had is definitely gone.   **nononono*

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/5-insane-provisions-amnesty-omnibus-bill/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 03:07:28 pm »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 03:47:49 pm »
NeverTrumpers are all upset that Trump turns out not to be a dictator, and like every other president must work through the corrupted political process to achieve his promised objective of building up border security.

Off topic, I heard Bernie Sanders attack Donald Trump with every ‘ism’ and called him every ‘phobic’ in the book, including xenophobic. Donald Trump – the guy who married two foreign women.

So I guess the circus is finally in town now that the 77-year-old Bernie the Clown is in center ring.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 03:51:31 pm »
NeverTrumpers are all upset that Trump turns out not to be a dictator, and like every other president must work through the corrupted political process to achieve his promised objective of building up border security.

Actually, many people have serious concerns this declaration is rolling out the red carpet for future executive overreach and a quasi-dictatorship.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 03:52:58 pm »

Off topic, I heard Bernie Sanders attack Donald Trump with every ‘ism’ and called him every ‘phobic’ in the book, including xenophobic. Donald Trump – the guy who married two foreign women.

So I guess the circus is finally in town now that the 77-year-old Bernie the Clown is in center ring.

Congress rolled Trump again, apparently. But honestly I don't know how he could've avoided it - its like a guaranteed outcome.

BTW why is it the NTers have no criticism for the gutless sh*ts in the GOP that allowed that POS bill to get to his desk? Seems they should get just a bit of the blame.

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 03:57:01 pm »
Congress rolled Trump again, apparently. But honestly I don't know how he could've avoided it - its like a guaranteed outcome.

BTW why is it the NTers have no criticism for the gutless sh*ts in the GOP that allowed that POS bill to get to his desk? Seems they should get just a bit of the blame.

I’ll let the original AT answer that for you.

Ann Coulter
@AnnCoulter

This is not Paul Ryan’s fault.  It’s not Mitch McConnell’s fault.  Trump ran AGAINST the GOP and won.  Responsibility is 100% his.

11:53 AM · Feb 15, 2019 · Twitter Web Client

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 03:57:32 pm »

Actually, many people have serious concerns this declaration is rolling out the red carpet for future executive overreach and a quasi-dictatorship.

How so?  How would that work?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 04:01:04 pm »

I’ll let the original AT answer that for you.

Ann Coulter
@AnnCoulter

This is not Paul Ryan’s fault.  It’s not Mitch McConnell’s fault.  Trump ran AGAINST the GOP and won.  Responsibility is 100% his.

11:53 AM · Feb 15, 2019 · Twitter Web Client

But that would make the GOP more petulant and childish than NT'ers say Trump is. This gets confusing.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 04:13:53 pm »
The GOP have earned the title of Do Nothing Party.  Their failure and misguided outcomes of Trump's first two years were squandered like I have never seen.

The focus was healthcare, and if that wasn't misguided, it was criminal.  There was zero chance of a positive outcome.

Trump should have focused on his keystone issue of the wall and border security and not done anything else other than the tax legislation.  Because he waited, and lost the House, he reduced any chance of getting what he wants.  This will be the worst gridlocked Congress of all time.  Nothing of consequence will pass through Congress.  Nothing.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 04:41:45 pm »
The GOP have earned the title of Do Nothing Party.  Their failure and misguided outcomes of Trump's first two years were squandered like I have never seen.

The focus was healthcare, and if that wasn't misguided, it was criminal.  There was zero chance of a positive outcome.

Trump should have focused on his keystone issue of the wall and border security and not done anything else other than the tax legislation.  Because he waited, and lost the House, he reduced any chance of getting what he wants.  This will be the worst gridlocked Congress of all time.  Nothing of consequence will pass through Congress.  Nothing.

At the start of the Trump administration – when he was in office like what, 30 minutes? the Democrats got ahead of him on the wall. There’s no denying that as a novice to politics, Trump made mistakes in prioritizing his agenda and his actions.

But in his defense, Trump was at the start of his learning curve in how establishment DC works, on both sides of the aisle, especially against an outsider whose stated intent was to be a disrupter in their cozy den of thieves.

His performance has only improved since then.