Author Topic: Trump Rails Against ‘SNL,’ Again, And Suggests ‘Retribution’ for NBC  (Read 1949 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON — President Trump once again took aim at “Saturday Night Live,” suggesting that there should be a price to pay by TV networks for delivering such scathing satire.

“Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!” Trump wrote on Sunday morning.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-rails-against-snl-again-162923290.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Sad how sensitive and triggered he can get. He is just giving them free publicity. I don't think I've ever seen someone in his position be so triggered by a comic. (Opinions on if it is funny aside).

From The Art of the Deal: It doesn't matter what they say as long as they keep talking about you... (Paraphrased).   Maybe he should read his own ghost written book.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
TDS Briefing Room

-----------------------

Why not a thread over the horrific results set in motion by your idol Reagan's 1986 Amnesty, the root of lots of problems?

Usual Suspects just cheap labor supporters, with McCain, GW Bush, Ryan, etc.

Clue: In California many were triggered in 1986,  but since Wisconsin and Georgia had yet to enjoy the beauty of illegals in their midst, there was not much opposition.

Enjoy. Seems there are always enough democrats and Republicans/"conservatives" to keep the status quo.

So again, enjoy.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Sad how sensitive and triggered he can get. He is just giving them free publicity. I don't think I've ever seen someone in his position be so triggered by a comic. (Opinions on if it is funny aside).

From The Art of the Deal: It doesn't matter what they say as long as they keep talking about you... (Paraphrased).   Maybe he should read his own ghost written book.

Geez...

What about that rodeo clown wearing an Obama mask?

What about Steve Bridges, the Obama impersonator...who met an 'Andrew Breitbart' heart attack?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

This isn't the first time Trump has suggested stripping freedom of speech and freedom of the press from those he doesn't like.  And it probably won't be the last. Trump can whine and moan all he wants, but the fact is those freedoms exist in the Constitution and if he tried any retribution or restriction of those freedoms, a judge would reverse his actions immediately.

I suppose every president before him has been criticized in the press or made fun of (except for Obama because of his skin color).  Most presidents either ignore the criticism or parodies or, as President Bush (41) did with Dana Carvey, go along with the joke.   Carvey was even invited to the White House to do his schtick.  But I guess every so often, Trump has to have someone or something to rail against, both to keep his fans entertained and engaged, and to cover over his own failures and legal troubles. 

Offline edpc

I suppose every president before him has been criticized in the press or made fun of (except for Obama because of his skin color).  Most presidents either ignore the criticism or parodies or, as President Bush (41) did with Dana Carvey, go along with the joke.   Carvey was even invited to the White House to do his schtick.  But I guess every so often, Trump has to have someone or something to rail against, both to keep his fans entertained and engaged, and to cover over his own failures and legal troubles.

Lest anyone think SNL only goes after Republican presidents, here’s a compilation of Norm MacDonald ragging on the Clintons.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Lest anyone think SNL only goes after Republican presidents, here’s a compilation of Norm MacDonald ragging on the Clintons.

Before he was fired.   [Though IIRC his claim is that he was fired for his constant jokes about OJ]
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online kevindavis007

TDS Briefing Room

-----------------------

Why not a thread over the horrific results set in motion by your idol Reagan's 1986 Amnesty, the root of lots of problems?

Usual Suspects just cheap labor supporters, with McCain, GW Bush, Ryan, etc.

Clue: In California many were triggered in 1986,  but since Wisconsin and Georgia had yet to enjoy the beauty of illegals in their midst, there was not much opposition.

Enjoy. Seems there are always enough democrats and Republicans/"conservatives" to keep the status quo.

So again, enjoy.

@truth_seeker

You sound like Ron Paul. Who called Reagan a failure (which he wasn't).

At least Reagan had class and was able to take a joke.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online kevindavis007

This isn't the first time Trump has suggested stripping freedom of speech and freedom of the press from those he doesn't like.  And it probably won't be the last. Trump can whine and moan all he wants, but the fact is those freedoms exist in the Constitution and if he tried any retribution or restriction of those freedoms, a judge would reverse his actions immediately.

I'm pretty sure when Washington was President, he was criticized too as well.

Offline skeeter

I'm pretty sure when Washington was President, he was criticized too as well.

Reading whats posted here it seems Trump was complaining about unfairness to the GOP, not himself. He's right.

Its Yahoo that made it about Trump.

Online kevindavis007

Reading whats posted here it seems Trump was complaining about unfairness to the GOP, not himself. He's right.

So what if SNL bashes the GOP? Big deal. What I do is don't watch it and if I do, just don't get upset about it.

Offline edpc

He is not right, because they recently roasted Democrats as being a bunch of old retreads, with no new ideas, right after the midterms. They also lampooned the Schumer/Pelosi response to Trump’s primetime address. He just consistently makes the writers jobs easier, with the wealth of material.Regardless of who he is defending, the president calling for retribution over parody and satire is ridiculous.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline skeeter

He is not right, because they recently roasted Democrats as being a bunch of old retreads, with no new ideas, right after the midterms. They also lampooned the Schumer/Pelosi response to Trump’s primetime address. He just consistently makes the writers jobs easier, with the wealth of material.Regardless of who he is defending, the president calling for retribution over parody and satire is ridiculous.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Others can decide if SNL has been even handed with their political 'satire'.

Offline skeeter

So what if SNL bashes the GOP? Big deal. What I do is don't watch it and if I do, just don't get upset about it.

Now if only you could do the same with Trump's tweets.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I wonder if Trump realizes his little feud and tweets are making SNL's ratings skyrocket. They were on life support before he started his spat.

Online kevindavis007

Now if only you could do the same with Trump's tweets.

Maybe he should spend less time tweeting and less time worrying about SNL.

Offline skeeter

Maybe he should spend less time tweeting and less time worrying about SNL.

Some of his Tweets are useful. I'll grant this kind is not.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I don't know if all of this is true or not... I did hear one commenter say, Trump has hosted SNL two times, the last time in 2015... this could be a put on in itself.

2015 is very recent if he hosted it that short of a time ago..... but others said, he's just playing a game on this himself, don't take it seriously.

So, I do think there is a chance not to take this real seriously, I know at first blush, it does look worrisome and one wonders about 1st amendment rights.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:15:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline goatprairie

If Trump, when asked about it,  could simply reply that he doesn't respond to ankle-biters like the dimwits on SNL, he'd come off a lot better. Threatening retribution? That's for tinpot dictators in third world sh*tholes.

Offline Rivergirl

IIRC it was Richard Nixon who got the Smothers Brothers taken off the air.   Can anyone confirm

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
All threat, no action.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
IIRC it was Richard Nixon who got the Smothers Brothers taken off the air.   Can anyone confirm

No.  CBS took The Smothers Brothers off the air.
CBS’s CEO and President, William S Paley, was a personal friend of President Lyndon Johnson, and Johnson had been leaning on Paley to curb the satirical attacks against his policies being made on the show. CBS now demanded that all of the taped episodes be submitted several weeks before airing so they could be “edited for content”. In response, the show turned its fire against CBS itself. Comedian Pat Paulsen, who was now running a tongue-in-cheek campaign for President of the United States, did a “press conference” on the show denouncing censorship. Guest star Elaine May did a sketch in which she and Tom Smothers played TV censors who were reviewing a show–which was then itself censored by CBS. This led to Tom and Dick waving a copy of the banned script on camera, declaring that they were being “shut up by CBS”.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:15:56 am by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

Congress insinuated itself into removing a number of network shows like "The Wild, Wild West" which was one of my favorite shows.  Some congress critters, like Sen. John Pastore-RI, railed against violent tv programming. 
So CBS made the highly-rated WWW a sacrificial lamb and cancelled it.
The network then replaced WWW  and some other "violent" shows with tamer creations all of which failed to draw the rating WWW did.