Author Topic: Keystone XL suffers another setback as judge blocks most work on the oil pipeline  (Read 1820 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Tom DiChristopher 2/16/2019

Federal judge rules against TransCanada doing most pre-construction work on the controversial Keystone XL pipeline.

The decision marks the latest setback for the long-delayed project and potentially pushes the start of construction into 2020.

The pipeline also faces a challenge in the Nebraska Supreme Court.

A federal judge in Montana dealt the Keystone XL pipeline another setback on Friday, effectively blocking TransCanada's latest effort to begin work on the project.

U.S. District Court Judge Brian Morris ruled that TransCanada cannot do most work to prepare for construction, including setting up camps for workers who would build the pipeline if it is allowed to move forward. The judge said TransCanada can move pipe to storage yards along the pipeline route.

The decision threatens to prevent TransCanada from beginning construction on the pipeline this year, and may push its earliest start date into 2020.

The ruling is the latest blow in a series of defeats for the $8 billion project. The line would transport heavy crude from Alberta, Canada to Steel City, Nebraska, where it would link up with existing lines to transport oil supplies to Gulf Coast refineries.

Keystone XL has become a major flash point in the growing war between environmentalists and the oil industry over expanding pipeline infrastructure. The line has now been tangled up in political battles for about a decade.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/16/keystone-xl-suffers-another-setback-judge-blocks-work-on-pipeline.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Unelected judges are now ordering around companies and making business decisions instead of simply ruling on laws.

What does a stupid lawyer know about business anyway?

I see he worked for the 9th circuit court, so he is pretty experienced at business obstructionism.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the mean time, US refineries constructed for heavy crude have no replacement for the Venezuelan heavy crude. This pipeline has been held up for over a decade, now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

I wonder what would happen if they gave the judge the middle finger and went ahead with the work?

Offline Smokin Joe

I wonder what would happen if they gave the judge the middle finger and went ahead with the work?
If the DAPL is any guide--and they were okayed, (finally) there would be a half dozen Hollywood virtue signalers, a few thousand people dumping a semi-load of trash on the ground for every 5 people or so, homeless puppies, and at least one dead body, not to mention burned out trucks on bridges, Molotov cocktail throwers, and people roving the countryside tearing up private property, mutilating livestock,and destroying equipment in the name of saving whatever, not to mention closing random pipeline valves. I reckon some folks from the Ministry of Not Doing Things would show up, too, just to make it all official, along with the usual entourage of press flunkies running around making sure the people on the coasts got a completely inverted and distorted view of what was going on, complete with TV people trampling anything in their way to mush so they could all show how the pipeline was destroying the Earth forever.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I think NoDak and Montana should be building refineries to beat the band.

Offline Smokin Joe

I think NoDak and Montana should be building refineries to beat the band.
Me, too. We have the feedstocks, we can use the fuel to raise food, all of which could be strategically critical in the future.

I had high hopes for this operation http://www.andeavor.com/refining/dickinson/, but http://www.andeavor.com/about/news/refinery-to-make-renewable-switch/
Considering there is over 1.2 million barrels of oil produced per day within spitting distance, I strongly suspect the motivation for the shift is to be found somewhere in this: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/BIOD?state=US Because neither corn nor soybeans rank high in in state crop production.

There is this: https://www.meridianenergygroupinc.com/the-davis-refinery/
https://www.meridianenergygroupinc.com/meridian-ceo-on-recent-litigation-wins-for-the-davis-refinery/

https://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com/projects/dakota-prairie-refinery-stark-north-dakota/

http://www.turnermason.com/index.php/sweet-home-north-dakota-and-montana-crude-boom-leads-to-refinery-projects-in-the-north/

Unfortunately, shifting demands and economics may shelve some of these projects, others are likely speculative in that they get the site, permits, and file plans in hopes of selling that package to another company which will take the project to completion, but won't actually build or operate a refinery themselves.

The region is still a net energy exporter, in terms of Oil, Gas, Natural Gas Liquids, coal, and electricity, but I'd like us to have more capacity for cooking up our own motor fuels. 

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

The region is still a net energy exporter, in terms of Oil, Gas, Natural Gas Liquids, coal, and electricity, but I'd like us to have more capacity for cooking up our own motor fuels.

Energy Independence is a matter of National Security, and should be treated as such.

Offline Smokin Joe

Energy Independence is a matter of National Security, and should be treated as such.
Nationally, we have plenty of refinery capacity and are exporting motor fuels and refined products--we were even before the restrictions on exporting crude oil were lifted.

What @roamer_1 and I refer to is more a regional thing, where it might be good if ND/MT/WY/SD could produce all we need and more from our own feedstocks, locally.  If the US balkanizes, some blocs will better off than others in terms of the basics. We (the four states above) produce enough of most of the basics (food, water, energy) to stay alive when other areas, frankly, would starve in the dark.

Other regions in the same shape would include the western part of the intermountain corridor, roughly the 'heartland' west of the Mississippi, From the Northern Plains to New Mexico and East to the River. (Red States, for the most part, with a few urban enclaves which vote blue).

I can't speak for anyone else, but imho, there is no harm in strategic planning for the future, where regional autonomy and economic independence is emphasized as a possible necessity. Consider it hedging, politically, in that if needed it will be vital, if not, no harm done. 

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

What @roamer_1 and I refer to is more a regional thing, where it might be good if ND/MT/WY/SD could produce all we need and more from our own feedstocks, locally.  If the US balkanizes, some blocs will better off than others in terms of the basics. We (the four states above) produce enough of most of the basics (food, water, energy) to stay alive when other areas, frankly, would starve in the dark.

That's right... not to mention that hooch is worth more than the price of corn.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Looks like the "oil trains" will keep rollin' for a while longer...

Offline Smokin Joe

Looks like the "oil trains" will keep rollin' for a while longer...
The Keystone pipeline was going to carry Canadian crude from the Tar Sands  to the Gulf of Mexico. That oil, referred to as "Bitumen", is low gravity, heavy oil, and would be a fine replacement for the Venezuelan crude at the refineries which processed that. It isn't like the Light to intermediate crude oil from the Bakken, and requires different facilities to refine.
The trains will keep running anyway, because they can ship crude to places the pipeline doesn't go, and pipeline capacity in North Dakota only handles about half of current production.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

The Keystone pipeline was going to carry Canadian crude from the Tar Sands  to the Gulf of Mexico. That oil, referred to as "Bitumen", is low gravity, heavy oil, and would be a fine replacement for the Venezuelan crude at the refineries which processed that. It isn't like the Light to intermediate crude oil from the Bakken, and requires different facilities to refine.
The trains will keep running anyway, because they can ship crude to places the pipeline doesn't go, and pipeline capacity in North Dakota only handles about half of current production.

ND oil pipeline capacity is about equal to the production from the state.  Now, it is not utilized to the maximum in all cases.

Crude Oil Production
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbblpd_m.htm

OIL TRANSPORTATION TABLE
https://ndpipelines.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/oil-transport-table-feb-2019.png
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

ND oil pipeline capacity is about equal to the production from the state.  Now, it is not utilized to the maximum in all cases.

Crude Oil Production
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbblpd_m.htm

OIL TRANSPORTATION TABLE
https://ndpipelines.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/oil-transport-table-feb-2019.png
Thanks. My Bad, I was only thinking of the DAPL which accounts for about 40% of that. Which way is the oil going from Elm Coulee? (Richland Co., MT--the first major Bakken field)

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

https://pipeline101.org/Where-Are-Pipelines-Located

Does that help?
Some. There are a couple of crude oil lines which pass through the area, but  there isn't enough detail to tell where and what oil they are picking up. I have a suspicion that much of it is trucked to either railheads or facilities like Enbridge's Trenton facility.

C S Lewis