Author Topic: 9/11 compensation fund to slash payments as new claims surge  (Read 534 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

9/11 compensation fund to slash payments as new claims surge
« on: February 16, 2019, 12:41:12 pm »
9/11 compensation fund to slash payments as new claims surge
NY Post, Feb 15, 2019, Rich Calder and Bob Fredericks

A federal fund created to assist victims of the 9/11 terror attacks will slash payments by at least 50 percent as it struggles to deal with a surge of new claims, officials said Friday.

Victims with existing claims will have payments slashed in half while claims filed after Feb. 1 of this year would see deeper cuts of up to 70 percent, they said.

September 11th Victim Compensation Fund special master Rupa Bhattacharyya said the fund received a “record number of claims” last year and that she’s “painfully aware of the inequity of the situation.”  “I also deeply regret that I could not honor my intention to spare any claim submitted prior to this announcement from any reductions made due to a determination of funding insufficiency,” she said.

[...]

Bhattacharyya said the reduction in payouts from the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund is necessary because the $2.37 billion remaining in the $7.37 billion fund is not enough to compensate the thousands of additional eligible victims and family members.

Roughly 40,000 people have already applied to the 7-year-old fund, which covers victims who suffered respiratory problems and other illnesses as a result of being near Ground Zero during and after the 9/11 attacks.

Nearly $5 billion in health benefits has already been distributed to 21,000 claimants.

More:  https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/9-11-compensation-fund-to-slash-payments-as-new-claims-surge/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: 9/11 compensation fund to slash payments as new claims surge
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 12:42:16 pm »
How is there a surge in new claims --- after almost 19 years?