Author Topic: Supreme Court weighs a Trump census question that could undercut California’s power  (Read 292 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
LA Times By DAVID G. SAVAGE FEB 14, 2019

The Supreme Court meets behind closed doors Friday to weigh a question that could shape the political power of California for the decade ahead.

At issue is the Trump administration’s plan to ask all households for the first time since 1950 whether occupants are U.S. citizens.

State officials and Latino activists have been sounding the alarm, arguing that this single change to next year’s census could have a broad impact.

If the Trump White House wanted to deal a political blow to California, “the most effective way to do it would be to promote an intentional undercount of the state in the 2020 census,” said Arturo Vargas, chief executive of the National Assn. of Elected and Appointed Latino Officials in Los Angeles. “And I think that’s precisely what’s behind the adding of this question.”

The once-a-decade count will be used to divide up political power among the states and within states, and political scientists predicted in court testimony that California would lose billions in federal funds and at least one and possibly as many as three seats in the House — and the same number of electoral votes — if the citizenship question is used next year.

California would be hit especially hard, they said, because 28% of the state’s households have a family member who is not a citizen.

More: https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-census-court-20190214-story.html

Online LMAO

California is worried that with population loss they could lose congressional seats. That’s the real motivation here. They need immigrants, both legal and illegal, to replace those that are leaving
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy