Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Isn’t Looking to Retire Yet, But Is Another Supreme Court Justice Ready to Go?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The New Yorker By Jeffrey Toobin February 13, 2019

No one tells a Supreme Court Justice when to retire. But there are currently two retirement dramas under way at the Court—one semi-public and the other semi-private—and they both have the potential to reshape the meaning of the Constitution for decades.

The public story is that of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Court’s senior liberal. Late last year, she fell and broke three ribs and, when she was being treated, doctors discovered that she had lung cancer, her third bout with cancer. She underwent surgery, apparently successfully, and the Court released word that she would need no further treatment. But, in January, she missed oral arguments for the first time in twenty-five years on the Court, and there is no guarantee that she will be there when the Justices next hear cases, on February 19th. Still, the retirement drama regarding Ginsburg is straightforward. She will hang on for as long as she can, in the hopes that a Democratic President will appoint her successor after the 2020 election.

The more complex drama involves Clarence Thomas, who is seventy years old and the longest-tenured Associate Justice on the Court. With fifty-three Republicans now in the Senate (and no filibusters allowed on Supreme Court nominations), President Trump would have a free hand in choosing a dream candidate for his conservative base if Thomas were to retire this year. The summer of 2019 would seem an ideal time to add a third younger conservative to the Court (along with Neil Gorsuch, who is fifty-one, and Brett Kavanaugh, who is fifty-four). It’s true that Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, would likely violate his Merrick Garland rule and try to push through a nominee in 2020, an election year, but 2019 would be much easier to navigate. So, many conservatives are asking, why shouldn’t Thomas leave now?

More: https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/ruth-bader-ginsburg-isnt-looking-to-retire-yet-but-is-another-supreme-court-justice-ready-to-go

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Thomas is as rock-solid as we have ever had on the Court.

Any replacement will be a step away from Constitutional conservatism,
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

rangerrebew

The old hag is trying to hold on until Trump hits lame duck status so he can't make a replacement.  She could die and the democrats might well conceal her death to keep from another Trump nomination. :judge:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Thomas is as rock-solid as we have ever had on the Court.

Any replacement will be a step away from Constitutional conservatism,

I agree.  Thomas has been low-key but he has been as solid a conservative as there is on the court.  I would hate to see him go, but I wouldn't really blame him.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The old hag is trying to hold on until Trump hits lame duck status so he can't make a replacement.  She could die and the democrats might well conceal her death to keep from another Trump nomination. :judge:

what is lame duck status?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How can she be ready to retire when she can't even remember what she is supposed to be doing?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

what is lame duck status?

IMO within a year of the next political election. The rats will cite Merrick Garland and claim Trump shouldn't be allowed to nominate another justice because, after all, he may be defeated in the upcoming election.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IMO within a year of the next political election. The rats will cite Merrick Garland and claim Trump shouldn't be allowed to nominate another justice because, after all, he may be defeated in the upcoming election.

@skeeter

They,like anyone else can claim anything. That doesn't mean they can pull it off.

What we are witnessing right at this moment is the beginning of the inevitable internal battle in the Dim Party between the traditional Dim Left party of "Privileged White Leaders Who Know What is Best for their DARK LITTLE BROTHERS AND SISTERS",and the actual illiterate communist scum they have been recruiting as foot soldiers to come to America and fight their Civil War for them.

It ain't going to get any more peaceful as that power struggle goes along,either,as Barrio Communists go after the traditional American Dim communists that winter on the French Riviera and own mansions in Switzerland,and demand their cut and their share of the power.

Trust Fund money versus Welfare Money. It ain't going to be pretty.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@skeeter

They,like anyone else can claim anything. That doesn't mean they can pull it off.

What we are witnessing right at this moment is the beginning of the inevitable internal battle in the Dim Party between the traditional Dim Left party of "Privileged White Leaders Who Know What is Best for their DARK LITTLE BROTHERS AND SISTERS",and the actual illiterate communist scum they have been recruiting as foot soldiers to come to America and fight their Civil War for them.

It ain't going to get any more peaceful as that power struggle goes along,either,as Barrio Communists go after the traditional American Dim communists that winter on the French Riviera and own mansions in Switzerland,and demand their cut and their share of the power.

Trust Fund money versus Welfare Money. It ain't going to be pretty.
Wouldn't change one single word. Exactly my perception of the situation.
I always said that the so called 'minorities' would eventually shuck off the Old White People yolk, and their Black house-slaves, which has been placed on them for decades by Democrats. I always said that this infusion of illegals would lead to an overthrow and a revolution in the Democrat Party.

We see that now. La revolucion is here today. You wanted it. You got it.

Jesse Jackson say whaaat? What he say? He can kiss my ass! And all them old white crackers are welcome to join in. Schumer Jew, I wants to see you in da hood bro. Just to say, Hello.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:26:40 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

So, it's not a real thing but just something the democrats will do?  I would ignore it if I were Trump and the Republicans.

Offline skeeter

So, it's not a real thing but just something the democrats will do?  I would ignore it if I were Trump and the Republicans.

The rats are always ginning up some bullsh*t or other argument to energize their base and get their way. Of course the media will pretend as if they have a serious point, and of course the odds are the GOP will run for the tall grass.

I'm sure Trump will ignore it, the question is will his party back him up.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The rats are always ginning up some bullsh*t or other argument to energize their base and get their way. Of course the media will pretend as if they have a serious point, and of course the odds are the GOP will run for the tall grass.

I'm sure Trump will ignore it, the question is will his party back him up.

I think they will.  I see them finally accepting that Trump is President.  I could be wrong.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Agree @skeeter   RBG just needs to be around until Jan 1, 2020

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I promise you guys. The next generation of voters is not going to vote for these 100 year old antiques, who would belong in a museum somewhere. We is us. We is we! And all them old White Crackers can take the next train out of here.

OLD WHITE PEOPLES, HERE WE COME. YOU CALLED FOR US. NOW YOU GOT US!

Offline Hoodat

That only goes for second term.  Trump won't be a lame duck until 2024.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That only goes for second term.  Trump won't be a lame duck until 2024.

I like the positive thinking @Hoodat  But I still don't see what a President should be deprived of a full third of his term in regarding to judicial appointments whether he loses or not.

Offline RetBobbyMI

She’s already hit the bucket. She’s just being propped up like the Weekend at Bernie’s by Dems to keep a Trump nomination at bay. Has anyone offered real proof she’s still alive? Sound far fetched? Well...Who woulda thunk it that the FBI would try a coup?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I promise you guys. The next generation of voters is not going to vote for these 100 year old antiques, who would belong in a museum somewhere. We is us. We is we! And all them old White Crackers can take the next train out of here.

OLD WHITE PEOPLES, HERE WE COME. YOU CALLED FOR US. NOW YOU GOT US!

@240B

You misspelled "Peep-pulls".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
She’s already hit the bucket. She’s just being propped up like the Weekend at Bernie’s by Dems to keep a Trump nomination at bay. Has anyone offered real proof she’s still alive? Sound far fetched? Well...Who woulda thunk it that the FBI would try a coup?

@RetBobbyMI

BINGO!

Damn shame we don't have any REAL "investigative reporters" to blow the cover off this plot to rig a judicial appointment. IIRC,that would be considered to be a federal felony.

Offline RetBobbyMI

@RetBobbyMI

BINGO!

Damn shame we don't have any REAL "investigative reporters" to blow the cover off this plot to rig a judicial appointment. IIRC,that would be considered to be a federal felony.
When has the Dems, deep state and leftists ever worried about a felony? They have cover.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I would believe any shenanigans attempted by the dems and, sadly now, by the current FBI.

But didn't she drag her ancient carcass out today?

Offline montanajoe

I would suspect that if Thomas is seriously considering retirement he would do it now rather than later. The guy doesn't seem like the type to hang on for his personal sense of self importance and would likely retire when he was assured that the POTUS  would replace him with a judge in his mold..after all he is a Conservative... :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I would suspect that if Thomas is seriously considering retirement he would do it now rather than later. The guy doesn't seem like the type to hang on for his personal sense of self importance and would likely retire when he was assured that the POTUS  would replace him with a judge in his mold..after all he is a Conservative... :shrug:

I fully expect that Justice Thomas will announce his plans to retire at the end of the current term.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
But didn't she drag her ancient carcass out today?
NO she did not. It is just more fake news from the MSM. They are reporting explicitly that, 'Ginsburg Returned to Work Today.' But that is simply not true. The only thing that happened is that she was released from the hospital to go home. The MSM is touting her return home as Ginsburg Goes Back to Work. Just another lie from the media.