Author Topic: Winston Churchill was no angel, but he wasn’t a demon either  (Read 1104 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Winston Churchill was no angel, but he wasn’t a demon either | Coffee House
 Winston Churchill was no angel, but he wasn’t a demon either    - Ben Sixsmith

Winston Churchill can be blamed for many things. He was an essential figure behind the disastrous landings at Gallipoli. It was on his word that the thuggish ‘Black and Tans’ were sent into Ireland. His racial animus towards Indian people did not help Britain to formulate an effective response to the Bengal Famine. He was insultingly quick to abandon our Polish allies to the Soviet Union. Yes, Churchill can be blamed for many things.

Many British writers and politicians, in an effort to retain their national pride as Britain declined on the world stage, have tended to deify the old bulldog. As Peter Hitchens wrote:

‘As a child, I studied many patriotic accounts of the war, my favourite being a cartoon strip produced by the boys’ weekly The Eagle, called The Happy Warrior. This cast Churchill as a sort of superhero who was somehow always right amid an unending succession of disasters that mysteriously ended in a final triumph. It would be many years before I understood how wrong this treasured picture was, and I still find it painful to acknowledge.’

Read more at: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/winston-churchill-was-no-angel-but-he-wasnt-a-demon-either/