Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez learned lobbyists pay people to avoid waiting in lines. She’s horrified.  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
By Eli Rosenberg

Eli Rosenberg
General assignment reporter covering national and breaking news
February 13 at 10:22 PM
It is one of Washington’s more peculiar practices, but most locals have long accepted it as a way of life: paying people to wait in line to get prime seats at Capitol Hill hearings.

Line-standing or line-waiting is a small but visible example of how money affects politics in D.C. — how people with resources buy access to lawmakers as they deliberate legislation. The practice, which is expensive but not illegal, has long been a popular one for lobbyists.

Enter Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), who is experiencing life as a legislator in Washington for the first time — and sharing her often-critical reactions to the experience on social media.

On Tuesday, she had just left a hearing on homelessness when she saw people queued in the hallway of the Rayburn House Office Building, waiting in line for a Committee on Financial Services meeting on banking and the marijuana industry, she wrote on Twitter. Her staff told her they were line-waiters.

“Shock doesn’t begin to cover it,” she wrote. “Apparently this is a normal practice, and people don’t bat an eye.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/14/ocasio-cortez-learned-lobbyists-pay-people-avoid-waiting-lines-hill-shes-not-pleased/?utm_term=.270b62b93f69
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goodwithagun

Which Congress people are they lining up for? Notice she didn’t post the offices.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline andy58-in-nh

There appears to be a rather short list of things that don't cause this garrulous little ditz to come down with a case of the vapors.... 

That said, it would seem that if you wanted to limit the influence of lobbyists, it would be desirable to reduce the power and scope of government, rather than actively agitating in favor of its expansion.

But then, AOC's meteoric popular rise has occurred in spite of an increasing body of evidence that the speed of her mouth exceeds that of her brain.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
She can go from zero to stupid faster than anyone I have seen in a long while, outside of news readers that is.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
She can go from zero to stupid faster than anyone I have seen in a long while, outside of news readers that is.

888high58888 :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goodwithagun

There appears to be a rather short list of things that don't cause this garrulous little ditz to come down with a case of the vapors.... 

That said, it would seem that if you wanted to limit the influence of lobbyists, it would be desirable to reduce the power and scope of government, rather than actively agitating in favor of its expansion.

But then, AOC's meteoric popular rise has occurred in spite of an increasing body of evidence that the speed of her mouth exceeds that of her brain.

She genuinely believes that she is the government, and she is here to help.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

True. No one pays anyone to stand in line to see people with no power to violate other peoples' rights, unless of course they have some talent, which is decidedly not the case as it concerns congress.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I mean, she's not wrong... for once.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline goodwithagun

CNN from 2009: Homeless stand in for lobbyists on Capitol Hill

Once again, a millennial thinks she’s the first to do something.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
What is the lifetime limit on outrage? I think she's already exceeded hers.
Principles matter. Words matter.