Author Topic: Ginsburg’s absence from Supreme Court not as long as others  (Read 584 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
By Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) — Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has missed a month of Supreme Court arguments as she recovers from lung cancer surgery. But she’s not the first justice to be away for a while and her absence hardly compares with those of some of her predecessors.

The day before the Supreme Court began its term in October 1949, Justice William Douglas broke 14 ribs and suffered a punctured lung when he was thrown from his horse on a trail in the Cascade Mountains in Washington. He didn't return to the bench for nearly a half year, and his long recovery caused delays in several cases, including challenges to segregation.

Like much of what goes on away from public view at the Supreme Court, how the justices deal with a colleague's absence can be opaque. The individual justice decides whether to rule on cases even if she has missed arguments. Indeed, Chief Justice John Roberts already has announced that Ginsburg is participating in the cases she missed.

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/2019/02/ginsburgs-absence-from-supreme-court-not-as-long-as-others.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Ginsburg’s absence from Supreme Court not as long as others
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:26 am »
FTA:

Douglas already had become the court's longest-serving justice by the time of his stroke on the last day of 1974. Though unable to walk and generally weakened by the stroke, Douglas refused to retire. Because of his illness, the court ordered a new round of arguments in eight cases in the spring of 1975, an unusually large number.

"They agreed to take away his vote because they thought he was incompetent," historian David Garrow said.

Wait, what?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:59:36 am »
I remember reading at the time that William O. Douglas was incompetent for a long time before he ever left the bench. Pathetic.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:22:15 pm »
I remember reading at the time that William O. Douglas was incompetent for a long time before he ever left the bench. Pathetic.
From what I understand, he never was competent in the first place. He's the epitome of what happens when you make judicial appointments a political exercise.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:31:28 pm »
Also true, jmyrle!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:17:38 pm »
She's still much older than other justices who have vacated the bench for a period of time. She may be still recovering, but my hunch is her physical and/or mental health may be declining.  IF she waits to step down until 2020, I think the DEMS would try to block her replacement until after an election year, much like the GOP did when Bammy tried to place Garland to the court.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:06:39 pm »
Mid 2020 would be no problem, though Trump should have a team working now to thoroughly vet potential candidates. It's a safe bet that dems are already hard at work digging up every everything they can find and manufacturing whatever they can't on everyone on Trump's list. They'll wait and spring it at the last minute to try to force a delay into 2021.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA