Author Topic: It's true, Trump really did start building more wall in Texas  (Read 1513 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

It's true, Trump really did start building more wall in Texas
« on: February 14, 2019, 12:59:44 am »
Washington Examiner, Feb 12, 2019, Ed Scarry

When President Trump said Monday at a campaign rally in El Paso that, “We’ve actually started a big, big portion of the wall today at a very important location, and it’s going to go up pretty quickly over the next nine months," I assumed it was nonsense he was spreading in hopes that his supporters might not mob him on stage for so far failing to keep the central promise of his campaign.

He similarly said Tuesday at the White House, "We just started a big, big section [of wall] on the Rio Grande."

I'm happy to say I was wrong. Trump was telling the truth.

I checked in with agents at the Rio Grande Valley border sector to see if they knew what new "wall" Trump was talking about. They sent me information on construction for new border barrier announced last year. The project funds six miles-worth of concrete and steel barrier of the sort that agents told me in January is immensely successful in deterring illegal border crossings.

The wall will be supplemented by "detection technology, lighting, video surveillance, and an all-weather patrol road parallel" to the barrier, according to a release sent out by the CBP in November.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/its-true-trump-really-did-start-building-more-wall-in-texas

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: It's true, Trump really did start building more wall in Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:35:35 am »
Equipment is being moved in preparation to Start building the wall, but construction on New Wall has Not begun.

https://www.courthousenews.com/butterfly-center-asks-for-a-halt-to-border-wall-construction/

Butterfly Center Asks for a Halt to Border Wall Construction

The owner of a South Texas butterfly conservation center asked a federal judge to stop the government from building a border wall it says will cut off and “render useless” 70 percent of its 100-acre refuge on the Rio Grande.

The government is preparing to break ground on 33 miles of new barriers in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2019/01/16/these-texas-brothers-could-make-millions-building-the-first-new-section-of-trumps-border-wall/#52ecadbe7009

These Texas Brothers Could Make Millions Building The First New Section Of Trump’s Border Wall

President Donald Trump has said he wants a 1,000-mile wall on the U.S. border with Mexico. Right now there’s about 650 miles of existing barriers—most of it built during the Bush and Obama administrations. So far during the Trump years, some of those walls or fences have been upgraded, but no barrier extensions have been undertaken.

That will change in late February when a contractor called SLSCO will begin building six miles of all-new wall in Hidalgo County, Texas, near the McAllen-Reynosa border crossing.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:44:17 am »
Washington Examiner, Feb 12, 2019, Ed Scarry

When President Trump said Monday at a campaign rally in El Paso that, “We’ve actually started a big, big portion of the wall today at a very important location, and it’s going to go up pretty quickly over the next nine months," I assumed it was nonsense he was spreading in hopes that his supporters might not mob him on stage for so far failing to keep the central promise of his campaign.

He similarly said Tuesday at the White House, "We just started a big, big section [of wall] on the Rio Grande."

I'm happy to say I was wrong. Trump was telling the truth.

I checked in with agents at the Rio Grande Valley border sector to see if they knew what new "wall" Trump was talking about. They sent me information on construction for new border barrier announced last year. The project funds six miles-worth of concrete and steel barrier of the sort that agents told me in January is immensely successful in deterring illegal border crossings.

The wall will be supplemented by "detection technology, lighting, video surveillance, and an all-weather patrol road parallel" to the barrier, according to a release sent out by the CBP in November.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/its-true-trump-really-did-start-building-more-wall-in-texas

Yay! One mile at a time.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 03:20:44 am »
A big, big section.  Like nearly 0.5%.   It's huge.  Hugely.  No other president in the history of the world has (proposed to maybe start construction eventually of) built a six mile wall.

A six mile wall in TX.  Is that a border fence, or a property fence?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 03:28:28 am »
Rumblings now in the legislature that it might be recommending funding by the state to complete walls on the other borders as well.

I stand poised to have my taxes raised to undertake the task.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 03:28:32 am »

It's on a levee. He doesn't want illegals driving their Chevys there to drink whiskey and rye.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:54 am »
A big, big section.  Like nearly 0.5%.   It's huge.  Hugely.  No other president in the history of the world has (proposed to maybe start construction eventually of) built a six mile wall.

Sounds like a property fence.  This is what I don't understand.  These migrants are walking thousands of miles and we think 55 miles of fence distributed at different parts of the border is going to keep them out.  I don't get it.  When Trump talked about a border wall I didn't think of a few miles here and there.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 05:27:08 am »
The project funds six miles-worth of concrete and steel barrier of the sort that agents told me in January is immensely successful in deterring illegal border crossings.

I feel safer. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:40:02 am »

Talking shit like the troll you are.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:57 am »

You should, if you've been telling the truth about where you are.  What is that, 2,000 miles away from you?  I'd feel safer if I were you, too. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 01:26:28 pm »
Sounds like a property fence.  This is what I don't understand.  These migrants are walking thousands of miles and we think 55 miles of fence distributed at different parts of the border is going to keep them out.  I don't get it.  When Trump talked about a border wall I didn't think of a few miles here and there.

I don't think many are happy with the 55 miles of border wall, including the President.  He has commented that he is doing what he can to work around the obstructionism to get funding from various different areas where the $$ isn't as critical to get the wall built.  Last I had heard that amount was around $23Billion.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-border-deal-23-billion-005215058.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 03:34:14 pm »
I don't think many are happy with the 55 miles of border wall, including the President.  He has commented that he is doing what he can to work around the obstructionism to get funding from various different areas where the $$ isn't as critical to get the wall built.  Last I had heard that amount was around $23Billion.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-border-deal-23-billion-005215058.html

Everyone says that Trump has been the only one to address the border.  We have danced to this tune before.  Someone I know who is a liberal often talks about the wall that Obama built.   I always tell him if Obama built anything it isn't a wall.  I was correct.  Finding that article was the information that I was missing.  It wasn't a wall at all.  But Congress had appropriated money for 700 miles of double-layer border fencing.  That was probably 2005-6.  So we did appropriate money for border security before.

Obama declared that he completed the "fence" 649 miles of it.  Broken into sections of worthless projects.  299 miles were bollard designed to keep vehicles out.  Not a fence, but posts in the ground.  Its in the picture that goes with the link.  350 miles of pedestrian fencing.  5% 36.3 miles ended up what was actually appropriated for, the double-layer fencing.

So I am sorry but 6 miles here and there looks a lot like Obama's deception about border security.  Had we really built the 700 miles of double-layer fencing that Congress appropriated for there wouldn't be this problems with illegal immigration.  I pray that Trump gets funding for the entire border because we have been down this road before.  A few miles of this kind of barrier.  No barrier here.  something that merely resembles a fence there doesn't cut it.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/may/16/barack-obama/obama-says-border-fence-now-basically-complete/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:37:11 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:13 pm »

Everyone says that Trump has been the only one to address the border.  We have danced to this tune before.  Someone I know who is a liberal often talks about the wall that Obama built.   I always tell him if Obama built anything it isn't a wall.  I was correct.  Finding that article was the information that I was missing.  It wasn't a wall at all.  But Congress had appropriated money for 700 miles of double-layer border fencing.  That was probably 2005-6.  So we did appropriate money for border security before.

Obama declared that he completed the "fence" 649 miles of it.  Broken into sections of worthless projects.  299 miles were bollard designed to keep vehicles out.  Not a fence, but posts in the ground.  Its in the picture that goes with the link.  350 miles of pedestrian fencing.  5% 36.3 miles ended up what was actually appropriated for, the double-layer fencing.

So I am sorry but 6 miles here and there looks a lot like Obama's deception about border security.  Had we really built the 700 miles of double-layer fencing that Congress appropriated for there wouldn't be this problems with illegal immigration.  I pray that Trump gets funding for the entire border because we have been down this road before.  A few miles of this kind of barrier.  No barrier here.  something that merely resembles a fence there doesn't cut it.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/may/16/barack-obama/obama-says-border-fence-now-basically

I completely understand where you are coming from.  Under the Secure Fence Act the wall was in part built, the remainder only funded here and there and yet to be fully funded and complete.  It has been reported and proclaimed that there is $23 billion that can be used.  Right now the fence is being worked on.  So ... it's a wait and see right now at this point.

One thing I am confident in, is that President Trump has absolutely brought the issue of the wall in focus and I believe he will continue to make it a focus.  I believe that the push will continue and more wall will be added as he continues his presidency.

The DEMS take the oval office in 2020 and this issue will be put on the back burner.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 06:03:04 pm »
Talking shit like the troll you are.

What are you talking about?  This whole page is blank.  I'm not subjecting myself to known idiots anymore.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:12 pm »
What are you talking about?  This whole page is blank.  I'm not subjecting myself to known idiots anymore.

I only have 5 people on my Ignore list.  MOD1, MOD2, MOD3, MOD5 and MOD8.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 06:39:23 pm »

How did you manage to put yourself on ignore?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 07:19:04 pm »
Is Mexico paying for it?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 07:22:28 pm »
Is Mexico paying for it?

Yes, through the USMCA, which hasn't seen the Senate floor or been passed, yet. The wall construction and Mexican funding will all happen through PFM.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 11:54:28 pm »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 11:55:26 pm »

How did you manage to put yourself on ignore?

I ignore myself constantly.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 05:09:18 am »
I completely understand where you are coming from.  Under the Secure Fence Act the wall was in part built, the remainder only funded here and there and yet to be fully funded and complete.  It has been reported and proclaimed that there is $23 billion that can be used.  Right now the fence is being worked on.  So ... it's a wait and see right now at this point.

One thing I am confident in, is that President Trump has absolutely brought the issue of the wall in focus and I believe he will continue to make it a focus.  I believe that the push will continue and more wall will be added as he continues his presidency.

The DEMS take the oval office in 2020 and this issue will be put on the back burner.

The waiting is nearly over.  We will see what happens.