Author Topic: How Neoliberalism Is Normalising Hostility  (Read 426 times)

rangerrebew

How Neoliberalism Is Normalising Hostility
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:58:35 pm »

How Neoliberalism Is Normalising Hostility
Posted on February 12, 2019 by Yves Smith

Yves here. Even though this post paints with very bright colors, I imagine most readers will agree with the argument it makes about the destructive social impact of neoliberalism.

Some additional points to consider:

Neoliberalism puts markets above all else. In this paradigm, you are supposed to uproot yourself if work dries up where you live or if there are better opportunities elsewhere. The needs of your family or extended family are treated as secondary. And your community? Fuggedaboudit. And this attitude has also led to what is arguably the most corrosive practice, of companies treating employees like tissue paper, to be trashed after use.

Companies have increasingly adopted a transactional posture towards customers. This shift happened on Wall Street as a result of deregulation in the 1980s (Rule 415; if anyone cares, I’ll elaborate in comments). The reduced orientation towards treating customers well as a sound business practice, and merely going through the form is particularly pronounced at the retail level. I can’t tell you how many times I have had to go through ridiculous hoops merely to get a vendor to live up to its agreement, and even though I am plenty tenacious, I don’t always prevail. It didn’t used to be anywhere near this bad. And this is corrosive. Not only are customers effectively treated as if they can be abused, the people in the support ops wind up being on the receiving end of well deserved anger…even though they aren’t the proper target. The phone reps are almost certainly not told that they are perpetrating an abuse (which then leads to the question of who in the organization has set up the scripts and training with lies in them) but for certain types of repeat cases, they have to know their employer is up to no good. I am sure this is the case at Cigna, where at least twice a year, I have a problem with a claim, the service rep says it should have been paid and puts it in to be reprocessed…and I typically have to rinse and repeat and get stroopy about it, meaning the later reps can see the pattern of deliberate non-payment of a valid claim and continue to act as if they can do something about it.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/02/neoliberalism-normalising-hostility.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: How Neoliberalism Is Normalising Hostility
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:08:05 pm »
That's what we should call them.  Just as neocons are not conservative, neolibs are not liberal. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: How Neoliberalism Is Normalising Hostility
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:30:55 pm »
Over lay with:

Grievance culture

Infantilization/Delayed maturity

mental illnesses

Social media behavior

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln