Author Topic: Supreme Court releases April calendar  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Supreme Court releases April calendar
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »
SCOTUSblog by Amy Howe 2/11/2019

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/02/court-releases-april-calendar-2/

The Supreme Court has released its calendar for the April sitting, which begins on April 15. Unlike the February and March sittings, which will feature only six and nine hours of argument, respectively, the April sitting is scheduled to have a full slate of 12 oral arguments – two on each of the six days of the sitting.

The April sitting is perhaps most noteworthy for what it does not currently include: the challenge to the Trump administration’s decision to add a question about citizenship to the 2020 census. The justices had originally been scheduled to hear a dispute over evidence in the case on February 19, but last month the justices removed the case from their oral argument calendar after a federal trial court in New York ruled against the government on the merits. The Trump administration has asked the Supreme Court to bypass a federal appeals court and review that ruling this term, either in April or a special argument session in May; the justices are expected to announce this month whether they will do so.

A full list of cases scheduled for oral argument in April, along with a brief summary of the issues in each case, follows the jump.

Iancu v. Brunetti (April 15): A First Amendment challenge to a federal law that bans the registration of “immoral” or “scandalous” trademarks

Emulex Corp. v. Varjabedian (April 15): In a lawsuit alleging violation of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, whether a private plaintiff has to show that a person who made a false statement intended to do so, or whether it is enough that the false statement was made negligently

Parker Drilling Management Services v. Newton (April 16): Whether California’s overtime and wage laws apply to drilling rigs on the outer continental shelf under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act

North Carolina Department of Revenue v. Kaestner Family Trust (April 16): Whether the Constitution’s due process clause bars a state from taxing a trust when beneficiaries of the trust are in-state residents

United States v. Davis (April 17): Whether a federal criminal law that bars the use or carrying of a gun during a “crime of violence,” which is defined as any crime that involves “a substantial risk that physical force” may be used against someone or something, is so vague that it is unconstitutional

McDonough v. Smith (April 17): When the statute of limitations begins to run for a federal civil rights claim alleging that prosecutors fabricated evidence in a criminal proceeding

Food Marketing Institute v. Argus Leader Media (April 22): The meaning of the term “confidential” in the Freedom of Information Act

Fort Bend County v. Davis (April 22): Whether federal courts have the power to review federal employment discrimination claims if the employee did not first file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Mitchell v. Wisconsin (April 23): A challenge to the constitutionality of a state law that allows law-enforcement officials to draw blood from unconscious drivers without a warrant

Rehaif v. United States (April 23): Whether, when the government prosecutes a noncitizen who is in the United States illegally for violating a federal law prohibiting him from having guns or ammunition, the government must show that the defendant knew he was in the country illegally

Quarles v. United States (April 24): Timing of the intent required to commit burglary for purposes of a “violent felony” under the Armed Career Criminal Act

Taggart v. Lorenzen (April 24): Whether a creditor can be held in contempt if he believes in good faith that a bankruptcy discharge does not apply

This post was originally published at Howe on the Court.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Supreme Court releases April calendar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 02:32:19 pm »
Will Notorious RBG still be phoning it in?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:49:34 pm »

I doubt she's making any phone calls while dead.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:51:52 pm »
I doubt she's making any phone calls while dead.

If rats can vote from the grave I see no reason she couldn't either.  wink777

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:48:31 pm »
I got confoosed over the meaning of the title....

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:51:21 pm »
How would you like to have your case in a court where the judge failed to show up but left instructions that the case go ahead and be tried and he would make his decision(s)  later based on the transcripts?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:00:58 pm »
I got confoosed over the meaning of the title....

Well, That doesn't look like Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, or Elena Kagan.   Maybe it is John Roberts in blackface and boobs?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:34 pm »
How would you like to have your case in a court where the judge failed to show up but left instructions that the case go ahead and be tried and he would make his decision(s)  later based on the transcripts?

Hey, we have been assured she'll be fair and doesn't need to recuse just because she's heard zero oral arguments.  Sotomayer argued she didn't have to recuse, right before she heard the case against Obastardcare that she had previously argued before the SCOTUS. 

The leftists assure us all the time they're "fair."  (Spit!)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:56 pm »
Well, That doesn't look like Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, or Elena Kagan.   Maybe it is John Roberts in blackface and boobs?

We'd never buy advertising calendars if they had pictures of Notorious RBG.  Besides, that bikini babe has a smaller chest than big, fat Sotomayor, so it's a wash. :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:03:17 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:44 pm »
Hey, we have been assured she'll be fair and doesn't need to recuse just because she's heard zero oral arguments.  Sotomayer argued she didn't have to recuse, right before she heard the case against Obastardcare that she had previously argued before the SCOTUS. 

The leftists assure us all the time they're "fair."  (Spit!)

But they never say exactly to whom will they be fair!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:46 pm »
But they never say exactly to whom will they be fair!

Or that they use a definition of "fair" that we were previously unaware of.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 07:15:24 pm »
Or that they use a definition of "fair" that we were previously unaware of.

That no one, other than themselves, is aware of!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 07:19:14 pm »
Don't you fret none, the same quality RBG opinions will be submitted by the same people that have been making and writing them for years, her clerks. Standard question from Ginsburg to her clerks "How am I ruling on this case and why?"

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 07:21:09 pm »
Don't you fret none, the same quality RBG opinions will be submitted by the same people that have been making and writing them for years, her clerks. Standard question from Ginsburg to her clerks "How am I ruling on this case and why?"

I have exactly zero doubt about the truth of that! NONE!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 07:26:24 pm »
Not even one comment on even the first Oral Argument on the Calendar?

Iancu v. Brunetti (April 15): A First Amendment challenge to a federal law that bans the registration of “immoral” or “scandalous” trademarks

Facts of the case

Erik Brunetti owns the clothing brand “fuct,” founded in 1990. In 2011, two individuals filed an intent-to-use application for the mark FUCT, and the original applicants assigned the application to Brunetti. The examining attorney refused to register the mark under Section 2(a) of the Lanham Act, finding it comprised immoral or scandalous matter (the pronunciation of “fuct” sounds like a vulgar word) in violation of that section. Brunetti requested reconsideration and appealed to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, which affirmed the examining attorney’s refusal to register the mark. The US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit found that while the Board did not err in concluding the mark should be excluded under Section 2(a) of the Lanham Act, that section’s bar on registering immoral or scandalous marks is an unconstitutional restriction of free speech.