Author Topic: NASA: Extremely Low Sunspot Counts Indicate Global Cooling Onset  (Read 1781 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NASA: Extremely Low Sunspot Counts Indicate Global Cooling Onset
« on: February 13, 2019, 01:33:35 pm »
Principia Scientific International by Chriss Street 2/7/2019

NASA space weather observations, extremely low sunspot counts, and a severe Polar Vortex are consistent with cyclical global cooling onset.

The complex flows of ions and electrons inside the sun produce sunspots that average about ten times the size of Earth and have magnetic fields that are ten thousand times stronger than the Earth’s magnetic field.

Sunspots were first observed by Galileo in the early 1600s and have been scientifically tracked as 11-year cycles since 1755.

The U.S. National Oceanic And Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center uses NASA’s Thermosphere Ionosphere Mesosphere Energetics and Dynamics satellite conducts Sunspot Number Progression counts, measures F10.7cm Radio Flux and the Ap Index geomagnetic activity, and its SABER carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO) instruments gage infrared solar output in Earth’s top atmospheric level.

As the Earth was completing Solar Cycle 24, sunspot counts and magnetic activity were expected cyclically fall from its high of over 100 in 2014 to a low of zero in 2022. But the sunspot count plunged to zero in mid-2018 and has remained substantially lower than forecast for Solar Cycle 25.

The data could indicate the onset of a super cycle ‘Maunder Minimum.’ The last Maunder Minimum period from 1645 to 1715 was a period with 7 percent fewer sunspots and global cooling, referred to as the ‘Little Ice Age.’

Dr. Robert Hartwig, president of the International Insurance Institute, said, "Severe winter weather is the third-largest cause of insured catastrophe losses, after hurricanes and tornadoes."  Based on a similar Polar Vortex experience, he warns that U.S. insured losses from severe 2018-2019 winter will likely exceed $2.5 billion by year's end.

More: https://principia-scientific.org/nasa-extremely-low-sunspot-counts-indicate-global-cooling-onset/

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: NASA: Extremely Low Sunspot Counts Indicate Global Cooling Onset
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:49:31 pm »
   Sunspots were first observed by Galileo in the early 1600s and have been scientifically tracked as 11-year cycles since 1755.

As the Earth was completing Solar Cycle 24, sunspot counts and magnetic activity were expected cyclically fall from its high of over 100 in 2014 to a low of zero in 2022. But the sunspot count plunged to zero in mid-2018 and has remained substantially lower than forecast for Solar Cycle 25.

The data could indicate the onset of a super cycle ‘Maunder Minimum.’ The last Maunder Minimum period from 1645 to 1715 was a period with 7 percent fewer sunspots and global cooling, referred to as the ‘Little Ice Age.’

So it's not going to get too hot.  No more global warming.  Just amazing.  Cycles.  Who would have thought.

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »
You mean to tell me that I went out and bought all these shorts, tank tops and flip flops for nothing?  DAMN!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:18:12 pm »
I wish I could see some of that cooling over here.  We don’t get fall weather until November anymore.  It’s in the 80s through October and just last week we hit mid 70s.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 04:22:51 pm »
I wish I could see some of that cooling over here.  We don’t get fall weather until November anymore.  It’s in the 80s through October and just last week we hit mid 70s.

According to this story, you will. 

Hey, @Dexter, is NASA credible?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:45:24 pm »
You mean to tell me that I went out and bought all these shorts, tank tops and flip flops for nothing?  DAMN!
Pack them away, but break out your "Hockey Stick"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 05:33:36 pm »
https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2018/09/27/the-chill-of-solar-minimum/
The Chill of Solar Minimum
September 27, 2018 / Dr.Tony Phillips   
Sept. 27, 2018: The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age. Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018, and the sun’s ultraviolet output has sharply dropped. New research shows that Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding.

“We see a cooling trend,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA’s Langley Research Center. “High above Earth’s surface, near the edge of space, our atmosphere is losing heat energy. If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold.”

These results come from the SABER instrument onboard NASA’s TIMED satellite. SABER monitors infrared emissions from carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO), two substances that play a key role in the energy balance of air 100 to 300 kilometers above our planet’s surface. By measuring the infrared glow of these molecules, SABER can assess the thermal state of gas at the very top of the atmosphere–a layer researchers call “the thermosphere.”

“The thermosphere always cools off during Solar Minimum. It’s one of the most important ways the solar cycle affects our planet,” explains Mlynczak, who is the associate principal investigator for SABER.

To help keep track of what’s happening in the thermosphere, Mlynczak and colleagues recently introduced the “Thermosphere Climate Index” (TCI)–a number expressed in Watts that tells how much heat NO molecules are dumping into space. During Solar Maximum, TCI is high (“Hot”); during Solar Minimum, it is low (“Cold”).

“Right now, it is very low indeed,” says Mlynczak. “SABER is currently measuring 33 billion Watts of infrared power from NO. That’s 10 times smaller than we see during more active phases of the solar cycle.”

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:41:13 pm »
Hey, @Dexter, is NASA credible?

Has NASA changed its position on AGW?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 01:20:30 am »

NASA has not changed its position on AGW because it doesn't have one.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/18/whats-nasa-got-to-do-with-climate-change/

NASA’s role is to make observations of our Earth system that can be used by the public, policymakers and to support strategic decisions. Its job is to do rigorous science. However, the agency does not promote particular climate policies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 01:50:28 am »
1968 best seller

"The Population Bomb"

An earlier attempt to alarm over environmental issues, starvation from widespread famine, calamity from increased population etc.

Virtually all predictions wrong, by huge margins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 02:16:38 am »

No, no they haven't @Dexter.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 01:07:54 pm »
No, no they haven't @Dexter.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

Let me know when they change this part of their website significantly.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 01:50:12 pm »

I read that site as well as this one: https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

I could not find where they stated NASA's Position.

I did find this statement:

Technically, a “consensus” is a general agreement of opinion, but the scientific method steers us away from this to an objective framework. In science, facts or observations are explained by a hypothesis (a statement of a possible explanation for some natural phenomenon), which can then be tested and retested until it is refuted (or disproved).
As scientists gather more observations, they will build off one explanation and add details to complete the picture. Eventually, a group of hypotheses might be integrated and generalized into a scientific theory, a scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 01:55:47 pm »

You're familiar with the "Asian Brown Cloud"? Let me know when the countries creating it are forced to adhere to environmental standards in the U.S.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:27 pm »
And, this is why there is absolutely no point in discussing much of anything with @Dexter.  He's made up his mind and will not change his opinion, in spite of all the evidence presented to him. Cement brained and impervious.