Author Topic: The verdict is in: Trump's tariffs are working 'bigly'  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The verdict is in: Trump's tariffs are working 'bigly'
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:54:02 am »
U.S. manufacturing is once again in the news. New data shows America’s factories adding 261,000 jobs from January 2018 to January 2019. In the State of the Union, President Trump emphasized the urgency of confronting predatory trade from countries like China.  There’s no doubt that America’s manufacturers are currently rebounding. The tariffs that President Trump imposed a year ago on steel, aluminum, solar panels and washing machines have already created more than 11,000 new jobs.

These new gigs include those in steel mills being announced by Nucor, Steel Dynamics and others. There’s also roughly a dozen companies planning new solar panel manufacturing facilities in Florida, Maryland and Oregon.  Even U.S. car companies are doing well at home. Ford’s North American operations posted a $2 billion profit in the fourth quarter, while GM’s North American net income topped $3 billion. Major steel consumers like Caterpillar and United Technologies have also reported strong results for 2018.

Despite this, critics of the tariffs still abound, particularly among large retailers claiming the tariffs will necessarily lead to price increases.
But that’s not what’s happening. Prices for new cars — which contain plenty of steel — remain steady. And the price of aluminum-canned beer is also rising at less than the rate of inflation.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/429643-the-verdict-is-in-trumps-tariffs-are-working-bigly
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LegalAmerican

Re: The verdict is in: Trump's tariffs are working 'bigly'
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:33:52 am »
U.S. manufacturing is once again in the news. New data shows America’s factories adding 261,000 jobs from January 2018 to January 2019. In the State of the Union, President Trump emphasized the urgency of confronting predatory trade from countries like China.  There’s no doubt that America’s manufacturers are currently rebounding. The tariffs that President Trump imposed a year ago on steel, aluminum, solar panels and washing machines have already created more than 11,000 new jobs.

These new gigs include those in steel mills being announced by Nucor, Steel Dynamics and others. There’s also roughly a dozen companies planning new solar panel manufacturing facilities in Florida, Maryland and Oregon.  Even U.S. car companies are doing well at home. Ford’s North American operations posted a $2 billion profit in the fourth quarter, while

GM’s North American net income topped $3 billion. Major steel consumers like Caterpillar and United Technologies have also reported strong results for 2018.

Despite this, critics of the tariffs still abound, particularly among large retailers claiming the tariffs will necessarily lead to price increases.
But that’s not what’s happening. Prices for new cars — which contain plenty of steel — remain steady. And the price of aluminum-canned beer is also rising at less than the rate of inflation.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/429643-the-verdict-is-in-trumps-tariffs-are-working-bigly

Nice. People are expecting some magic . It takes TIME for things to turn around.  In the meanwhile the country has on going expenses, but they never focus on that, or the AMOUNT OF MONEY SAVED, by being thrifty.  Just like a credit card, when people start to pay off...it will take some time to do that.  We are having billions coming into our country.  THAT, they won't write about or about the fact that DEMON-RATS...won't approve his bills, that will bring in trillions of dollars.   

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:55:48 am »
The tariffs that President Trump imposed a year ago on steel, aluminum, solar panels and washing machines have already created more than 11,000 new jobs.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/john-rogers/trump-tariffs-latest-solar-jobs-numbers

For 2018, the numbers are a mixed bag. Overall numbers for people employed in solar in 2018 stood at around 242,000—down 8,000, or more than 3%, from the year before.

<snip>

But the annual drop—the second in a row—is concerning. So the next logical question is: Why are we losing solar jobs at all?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:34:05 am »
The tariffs are working so well, we need to supplement farmers with billions in federal aid. That’s fan-bleeping-tastic.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:00:29 pm »
The tariffs are working so well, we need to supplement farmers with billions in federal aid. That’s fan-bleeping-tastic.

Agricultural products aren't the only 'game' in town, @edpc
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:44:44 pm »

No, but they were the top US export for 2017. The producers of it are Trump’s base.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:53:52 pm »
For the one percent.  Trump is taking the working classes Tax Refund and giving
it to rich 'farmers'.
Some might say.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 03:34:05 pm »

Agriculture has Govt Created problems that go Way beyond Trump's tariffs.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:24:24 pm »

That is just another attempt by Ed to try to downplay Trump's successes.  And it is ridiculous.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:41:30 pm »
That is just another attempt by Ed to try to downplay Trump's successes.  And it is ridiculous.

China has needed to be de-clawed and neutered since 1945.

Trump has not only started the ball rolling, he's well more than half way home with it already.

But we all have to be directed back to American Soy as our over riding concern.

Because, . . . . . Well, . . . . . Trump, so there!

Whatever it costs it's Still a better deal than 1 more flag draped coffin with 1 more dead GI inside.

Break China. I'd much rather we do it with Fed Reserve Notes than our young people's lives.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:45:05 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:14 pm »

You’re ridiculous and alarmingly mentally feeble. What success? Are the tariffs still in place or is there a new trade deal nobody but you has heard about? If you have to bail out people who are being directly affected by the fallout of your policy, it’s not a success.

It’s especially not a success, if you erroneously believe, as Trump does, the tariffs are being paid by China. They’re being paid by the end user of the product. So, it’s basically a tax on the American consumers, being passed on to farmers who are seeing their contracts go elsewhere.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:55 pm »

You’re ridiculous and alarmingly mentally feeble. What success? Are the tariffs still in place or is there a new trade deal nobody but you has heard about? If you have to bail out people who are being directly affected by the fallout of your policy, it’s not a success.

It’s especially not a success, if you erroneously believe, as Trump does, the tariffs are being paid by China. They’re being paid by the end user of the product. So, it’s basically a tax on the American consumers, being passed on to farmers who are seeing their contracts go elsewhere.

Hmmm. I'll ask your dentist to double up on the novacaine next time Ed.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 12:39:30 am »
China has needed to be de-clawed and neutered since 1945.

Trump has not only started the ball rolling, he's well more than half way home with it already.

But we all have to be directed back to American Soy as our over riding concern.

Because, . . . . . Well, . . . . . Trump, so there!

Whatever it costs it's Still a better deal than 1 more flag draped coffin with 1 more dead GI inside.

Break China. I'd much rather we do it with Fed Reserve Notes than our young people's lives.

Yes !!  As far as agricultural subsidies, that is a hotly debated subject and many people wonder why it has to be subsidized.  Of course we need agriculture but farming was once self-sustaining.

Just another thing that Trump has done first and done best.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 12:44:10 am »
Yes !!  As far as agricultural subsidies, that is a hotly debated subject and many people wonder why it has to be subsidized.  Of course we need agriculture but farming was once self-sustaining.

Just another thing that Trump has done first and done best.

Not sure, but perhaps it's because most farms are owned/controlled by corporations.   

Isn't it cheaper to lease your fields for crops than to plant and harvest it yourself?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:47:15 am »
Not sure, but perhaps it's because most farms are owned/controlled by corporations.   

Isn't it cheaper to lease your fields for crops than to plant and harvest it yourself?

Yep, maybe and it saves all those hours in the sun.

But don't evil corporations usually figure out ways to turn a profit?  I'm sensing a con, but maybe I don't understand the situation.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 05:55:40 am »
China, to show good faith before the deal is signed has ordered 5 BILLION million TONS of Soy product & some other plant items.
No one talks about that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:48:06 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 06:13:18 am »
China, to show good faith before the deal is signed has ordered 5 BILLION TONS of Soy product & some other plant items.
No one talks about that.

Good to know.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 06:24:20 am »
Chicago Tribune. Also in TRUMP briefing speech with China advocate there.  Our farmers have been subsidized for DECADES! IN fact Jimmy Carter makes millions of dollars from government for his peanut farm. The "FARM BILL"gives millions to politicians, before any farmer receives any. The theory is PAID, not to farm.  FARMERS PAID, NOT TO FARM.
It was 5 BILLION TONS, plus other products. Now I have to find that video. BILLION...not million. Ok, then I am having HEARING PROBLEMS!  Th Chinese guy first said billion, than corrected to million. Drat!  I have to admit I was wrong. Not easy to do.   888high58888

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
------------------------------------------------------------
But to the president's delight, they did agree on one thing: In an unexpected deal that even surprised the top U.S. trade negotiator, China said that it would buy 5 million metric tons of American soybeans over an unspecified period.

"China as a sign of goodwill has agreed to purchase a tremendous, massive amount of soybeans," Trump told reporters.

He said he had consulted with Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue and learned that "our farmers are extremely happy."

"It's a nice kind of olive branch," said Peter Meyer, head of grain and oilseed analytics at S&P Global Platts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:47:05 am by LegalAmerican »

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 07:34:03 am »
Chicago Tribune. Also in TRUMP briefing speech with China advocate there.  Our farmers have been subsidized for DECADES! IN fact Jimmy Carter makes millions of dollars from government for his peanut farm. The "FARM BILL"gives millions to politicians, before any farmer receives any. The theory is PAID, not to farm.  FARMERS PAID, NOT TO FARM.
It was 5 BILLION TONS, plus other products. Now I have to find that video. BILLION...not million. Ok, then I am having HEARING PROBLEMS!  Th Chinese guy first said billion, than corrected to million. Drat!  I have to admit I was wrong. Not easy to do.   888high58888

Trump 2020 - F*CK THE FARMERS!

------------------------------------------------------------
But to the president's delight, they did agree on one thing: In an unexpected deal that even surprised the top U.S. trade negotiator, China said that it would buy 5 million metric tons of American soybeans over an unspecified period.

"China as a sign of goodwill has agreed to purchase a tremendous, massive amount of soybeans," Trump told reporters.

He said he had consulted with Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue and learned that "our farmers are extremely happy."

"It's a nice kind of olive branch," said Peter Meyer, head of grain and oilseed analytics at S&P Global Platts.

Trump lies...did you see this press conference?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?457270-1/president-trump-announces-agreement-end-government-shutdown

Again, I thank you.  All Americans, I thank you.  You are very, very special people.  I am so proud that you are citizens of our country.  When I say “Make America Great Again,” it could never be done without you.  Great people.

After 36 days of spirited debate and dialogue, I have seen and heard from enough Democrats and Republicans that they are willing to put partisanship aside — I think — and put the security of the American people first.  I do believe they’re going to do that.  They have said they are for complete border security, and they have finally and fully acknowledged that having barriers, fencing, or walls — or whatever you want to call it — will be an important part of the solution.

What a retard.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 01:11:13 pm »
U.S. manufacturing is once again in the news. New data shows America’s factories adding 261,000 jobs from January 2018 to January 2019. In the State of the Union, President Trump emphasized the urgency of confronting predatory trade from countries like China.

Yeah,but not ALL Americans benefit from this. Have you no concern for the hardships that Nancy Pelosi and her husband,who happens to be THE US lawyer/business partner with the Chinese is suffering? He and Nancy have already lost tens of thousands thanks to the Norinco raid to confiscate machine guns in Long Beach.

Have you no heart?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 01:56:03 am »
Once again, everyone repeat after me in unison:

"Tariffs don't work" !!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 05:27:39 am »

"Tariffs don't work" !!

Sarcasm?

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 06:34:47 am »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1096926633708134406
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Trade negotiators have just returned from China where the meetings on Trade were very productive. Now at meetings with me at Mar-a-Lago giving the details. In the meantime, Billions of Dollars are being paid to the United States by China in the form of Trade Tariffs!
4:17 PM - 16 Feb 2019

The moron still thinks China pays tariffs instead of Americans.  How is it Fing possible nobody has explained in a way he understands? 
HAVE THEY TRIED LARGER FONT?

or executive beatings?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:36:23 am by Once-Ler »

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 06:38:22 am »

"Tariffs don't work" !!

Sorry @Fishrrman .  I'm not trying to steal your signature move. wink777
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:39:14 am by Once-Ler »