Author Topic: New bill would allow pets on restaurant patios in all Texas cities  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
News West By Cody Huffman February 12, 2019

Senator Kelly Hancock (R-North Richland Hills) recently filed legislation allowing restaurant patrons to be accompanied by a well-behaved and well-controlled dog in an outdoor dining area, such as a patio or sidewalk café.

SB 476 would not require restaurants to permit dogs in outdoor dining areas, but provides that food service establishments statewide may do so if they choose.

While many restaurants with outdoor dining options already allow people to bring along their furry friends, certain cities have enacted restrictions on these establishments including dog variance applications, periodic fees, extra inspections and burdensome rules.

More: http://www.newswest9.com/2019/02/13/new-bill-would-allow-pets-restaurant-patios-all-texas-cities/

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: New bill would allow pets on restaurant patios in all Texas cities
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:07:08 am »
Part of the reason we love going to Boone, NC is that it such a dog friendly place.   We can take our dog with us in almost all the stores and in the outdoor eating areas (and most of the indoor eating areas) in all the food places.   Then there is the MOUNTAIN. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:38:09 am »
I love my dogs.  I have traveled to California for the Eukanuba dog show and to New York for the Westminster dog show with my dogs and many points in between.  I love my dogs.  Dogs don't belong in eating establishments or retail stores or any other place of business unless their owner owns the business also.

That said, I am in favor of laws (or maybe lack thereof) that allow business owners to decide how they are going to run their own business.

But people, please, be good pet owners and leave your pets at home.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 05:53:04 am »
I love all dogs, cats.  However only a matter of time before someone will abuse the privilege. Dogs will urinate, mark and defecate where they are. Some...will NOT pick up. Then the flies. The smell.   

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:05:24 am »
I love my dogs.  I have traveled to California for the Eukanuba dog show and to New York for the Westminster dog show with my dogs and many points in between.  I love my dogs.  Dogs don't belong in eating establishments or retail stores or any other place of business unless their owner owns the business also.

That said, I am in favor of laws (or maybe lack thereof) that allow business owners to decide how they are going to run their own business.

When I lived in Germany (60s) it was not at all unusual to see a dog in an eatery. Back in the 70's
my dog Didi (Newfoundland) and I had breakfast in an upstate NY restaurant every Sunday
morning. Blue (my small pit bull mix) goes to the local beer joint (that I used to own) every
weekday. She is usually not the only dog there. And she is way more popular then I. Everyone
always says "Hi" to Blue, pets her and scratches her butt, me not so much.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:58:53 am »
And on the plates?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:02 pm »
Hellz no. Pets in restaurants, even outside, is nasty.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 01:03:54 pm »
When I lived in Germany (60s) it was not at all unusual to see a dog in an eatery.
My parents were visiting my sister in Vienna (she was a Fulbright scholar studying music)  in the mid-1980s and went to a neighborhood restaurant frequented by students and other hipsters. A woman came in with a pet rat on her shoulder, ordered spaghetti, and proceeded to let the rat eat off her plate. It was a bit much for my mother!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:25:04 pm »
My parents were visiting my sister in Vienna (she was a Fulbright scholar studying music)  in the mid-1980s and went to a neighborhood restaurant frequented by students and other hipsters. A woman came in with a pet rat on her shoulder, ordered spaghetti, and proceeded to let the rat eat off her plate. It was a bit much for my mother!

What was she thinking. Democrats are fifthly vile creatures.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:25:13 pm »
Oh, for goodness sake leave your pets at home.

Pardon the pun but my pet peeve is with the insufferable dog owners who parade their beasts off their leash in public, allow them to accost strangers, and think that everyone loves their dog. No, we don’t. Have I got stories I could tell.  **nononono*

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »
Oh, for goodness sake leave your pets at home.

Pardon the pun but my pet peeve is with the insufferable dog owners who parade their beasts off their leash in public, allow them to accost strangers, and think that everyone loves their dog. No, we don’t. Have I got stories I could tell.  **nononono*
A responsible dog owner will not allow his/her dog to accost a stranger.  Atticus is NEVER off leash and he is required to sit and let people come to him.   Meeting strangers politely is part of socializing a dog and giving them the confidence to deal with new situations and new people appropriately.

I agree with you about off leash dogs.  They are not under their owner's control and may do something unpredictable.

Atticus is a big boy and there is often some dog that feels the need to challenge him.  I really resent anyone who does not have their dog under control.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:08:09 pm »
I guess we're behind the times on this too...

It ain't uncommon to see a cow dog under the table at the diner.
Even my malamute went to the diner with me on occasion.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 04:11:03 pm »
A responsible dog owner will not allow his/her dog to accost a stranger.  Atticus is NEVER off leash and he is required to sit and let people come to him.   Meeting strangers politely is part of socializing a dog and giving them the confidence to deal with new situations and new people appropriately.

I agree with you about off leash dogs.  They are not under their owner's control and may do something unpredictable.

Atticus is a big boy and there is often some dog that feels the need to challenge him.  I really resent anyone who does not have their dog under control.

We have some issues at rodeos with dogs.  People bring them into the viewing stands.  Occasionally one will bark at the horse in a timed event, measured in thousandths of a second.  The slightest flinch can move a runner down a few positions in the ranking.

The more common problem is letting a little kid walk around with a little dog that is not well trained and going after another dog.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 04:12:06 pm »

^^Like^^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 04:27:00 pm »
Like. Wish more states would adopt.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 04:28:10 pm »

@RoosGirl did you see the dog who won and the one who came in second in this years Westminster Dog show?

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 04:30:54 pm »
It's fairly common around here for dogs to accompany their owners at outdoor seating.  I don't have a problem with it as long as the dogs aren't allowed in the kitchen and are well-mannered at the table.  Now, unruly little kids - that's another story. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 04:38:15 pm »
It's fairly common around here for dogs to accompany their owners at outdoor seating.  I don't have a problem with it as long as the dogs aren't allowed in the kitchen and are well-mannered at the table.  Now, unruly little kids - that's another story.

That's a fact. There ain't a thing wrong with an Ozzie Shepherd or Blue Heeler laying quietly under the table. I can pretty well guarantee it's cleaner under there when they leave than when they got there.  :laugh:
Can't say that with kids.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:34:36 pm »
...OK, so I sit on this park bench, right after strenuous exercise. I need hydration, it’s hot, big rural park. I twist the top off my expensive bottle of water and as I turn my head, this dog -off leash- is inches off my face and licks the bottle top before I could take my first life-saving sip.

Meanwhile, the owner is approaching and greets me “hello!” with a idiot smile on his face.

Hello? You jerk – and your little dog, too!