Author Topic: Public Education’s Dirty Secret  (Read 829 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Public Education’s Dirty Secret
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:30:17 pm »
written by Mary Hudson   

Bad teaching is a common explanation given for the disastrously inadequate public education received by America’s most vulnerable populations. This is a myth. Aside from a few lemons who were notable for their rarity, the majority of teachers I worked with for nine years in New York City’s public school system were dedicated, talented professionals. Before joining the system I was mystified by the schools’ abysmal results. I too assumed there must be something wrong with the teaching. This could not have been farther from the truth.

Teaching French and Italian in NYC high schools I finally figured out why this was, although it took some time, because the real reason was so antithetical to the prevailing mindset. I worked at three very different high schools over the years, spanning a fairly representative sample. That was a while ago now, but the system has not improved since, as the fundamental problem has not been acknowledged, let alone addressed. It would not be hard, or expensive, to fix....

It is not poor teaching or a lack of money that is failing our most vulnerable populations. The real problem is an ethos of rejection that has never been openly admitted by those in authority....

https://quillette.com/2019/02/10/public-educations-dirty-secret/#comment-66502

I think she's correct. Hard to read, but I think she nailed it.  And, the rejection extends to many more students.

Offline Absalom

Re: Public Education’s Dirty Secret
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
Earliest Man, was self-educated through experience, a process that existed from the Fertile Crescent, through Greece and Rome, the Scholastics, the Renaissance, the Reformation and so on while our formal systemic education process is an Enlightenment fad that confers credentials.

WHY IS THE MODERN SYSTEM SUPERIOR TO THAT WHICH PRECEDED IT?????
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:01:17 pm by Absalom »

Online roamer_1

Re: Public Education’s Dirty Secret
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:43:59 pm »
Quote from: the article
The real problem is an ethos of rejection that has never been openly admitted by those in authority

Not an 'ethos of rejection', but rather, a rejection of ethos.