Author Topic: Lawmakers reach agreement 'in principle' to avert shutdown  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Lawmakers reach agreement 'in principle' to avert shutdown
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 03:15:21 am »
Well, I expected Trump would not get the whole amount he wanted for his wall -- in a negotiation there should be give and take --  but if the rumors of the terms of the agreement are true, he and the Republicans have been hornswoggled.

Again.

And this is why I would have liked to have seen Trump's deal making skills in action instead of him running off on another rock star tour.

But...this supposedly is an agreement in principle.  Let's see what the actual agreement looks like before we rend our garments and throw ashes on our heads.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 03:16:28 am »
Erica Werner
‏Verified account @ericawerner

The agreement reached tonight would include:

-$1.375b for border barriers (55 new miles of bollard fencing)
-Dems drop call for new cap on ICE beds for detentions in interior
-Overall cap on detention beds drops from 49,057 to 40,520

Per congressional official.

No way!  Who is negotiating for Trump?  This is a Democratic wet dream.

Mulvaney was brought in as acting CoS, because of his familiarity with Congress. He was on the Sunday shows, talking about other executive actions that might be taken to get funds. Now you know why. Politico seems to have had a line on the outcome, last week.....

That makes it all the more likely that Trump will be forced to choose between two unpalatable options: a bipartisan deal served up by lawmakers, or executive action that falls short of an emergency declaration. A more modest executive order has been under review by the White House counsel’s office for weeks, which Mulvaney has termed “legal executive authority.” Both choices are likely to provide much less money than what the president has been demanding for a border wall.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/07/white-house-trump-shutdown-deal-1157829
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:18:15 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 03:17:20 am »
If they space the posts wider the could double or triple the WALL length

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 03:20:20 am »

Mulvaney was brought in as acting CoS, because of his familiarity with Congress. He was on the Sunday shows, talking about other executive actions that might be taken to get funds. Now you know why. Politico seems to have had a line on the outcome, last week.....

That makes it all the more likely that Trump will be forced to choose between two unpalatable options: a bipartisan deal served up by lawmakers, or executive action that falls short of an emergency declaration. A more modest executive order has been under review by the White House counsel’s office for weeks, which Mulvaney has termed “legal executive authority.” Both choices are likely to provide much less money than what the president has been demanding for a border wall.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/07/white-house-trump-shutdown-deal-1157829

Mulvaney has been trying to push this lame deal since the shutdown.  Trump got mad.  I don't know why he lets this guy negotiate for him.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 03:21:32 am »

Good point, yeah.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 03:23:13 am »
Bollard wall from the DHS:

But even if this is it, we will have to see how much mileage they cover.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 03:23:39 am »

Narrow enough to stop a F150, but wide enough to let a Smart ForTwo thru.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:00 am »
LOL. Leave it to congressional RINO's to roll over in an effort to make it to Off The Record for happy hour. The four Senators crafting this garbage are about as bottom of the barrel worthless as it gets.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:50 am »
Bollard wall from the DHS:

But even if this is it, we will have to see how much mileage they cover.

55 new miles of bollard fencing, according to the post up-thread.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 03:25:08 am »

I have to go to bed now.  I can't handle the ups and downs of Trump any longer.  He is on the border talking about all the crimes illegal immigrants are committing and shaming Democrats for not wanting to lock up criminals.  But his negotiators are undermining the very things he is saying making stupid deals.  This is ridiculous.

What's frustrating is we've not heard from the President .... who I strongly suggest will not agree with this.  He's holding a rally and said he heard there was an "agreement" but didn't wait to hear the details. All he said was "we'll see  :shrug:"   So we've got to wait until the rally ends and he gets the actual scoop. @Chosen Daughter

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 03:27:09 am »
LOL. Leave it to congressional RINO's to roll over in an effort to make it to Off The Record for happy hour. The four Senators crafting this garbage are about as bottom of the barrel worthless as it gets.

Not winning!

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 03:28:09 am »
What's frustrating is we've not heard from the President .... who I strongly suggest will not agree with this.  He's holding a rally and said he heard there was an "agreement" but didn't wait to hear the details. All he said was "we'll see  :shrug:"   So we've got to wait until the rally ends and he gets the actual scoop. @Chosen Daughter

He better tell them to put it where the sun doesn't shine.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 03:29:30 am »

That's why I dreaded getting on this thread @Right_in_Virginia   I knew it would be endless agonizing, speculation, negative thinking and nobody knows what Trump will do.  And yet one of our members claims Trump is wearing her out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 03:35:06 am »

If it's a compromised deal between the people he said needed to work something out, vetoing it would put him back in ownership of a shutdown. He's not going to make the emergency declaration he's previously threatened. Instead, he'll go with this milquetoast version Mulvaney has been pimping the past few days. It'll be yet another cave, but I'm sure you'll start posting YouTube videos again, telling us the wall is already being built.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline edpc

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 03:42:49 am »
Three people familiar with Congress’ tentative border security deal tell The Associated Press that the accord would provide $1.375 billion to build 55 miles of new border barriers.

That’s well below the $5.7 billion President Donald Trump demanded to build over 200 miles of wall along the Mexican boundary. The money will be for vertical steel slats called bollards, not a solid wall.

Democrats dropped their proposal to limit the number of detained immigrants caught inside the U.S. to a daily average of 16,500. Republicans opposed that demand. There is currently no such limit.

Bargainers agreed to fund 40,520 beds to detain immigrants entering or in the U.S. illegally. That’s the same number funded last year, though the actual figure held is around 49,000.

https://apnews.com/0f1657ef0b3c4241aa3ef50cdf6db901

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 03:46:27 am »
Not winning!

This wouldn't even be an issue if it wasn't for Trump. All of these congressional GOP'er love open borders. 90% of them are on the record in some way or another as wanting it. Their big donors love the cheap labor. The Chamber or Commerce masturbates to pictures of truck loads of uneducated garbage humans being trucked in from Mexico. Trump is the only one attempting to do something tangible about the border since Operation Wet Back in the 50's. I have no quarrel with him. I do have a quarrel with this fat loser Sen Shelby. He's voted for more H-2B visas and DACA even though he talks all sorts of shit about putting a stop to it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:37 am »
This wouldn't even be an issue if it wasn't for Trump. All of these congressional GOP'er love open borders. 90% of them are on the record in some way or another as wanting it. Their big donors love the cheap labor. The Chamber or Commerce masturbates to pictures of truck loads of uneducated garbage humans being trucked in from Mexico. Trump is the only one attempting to do something tangible about the border since Operation Wet Back in the 50's. I have no quarrel with him. I do have a quarrel with this fat loser Sen Shelby. He's voted for more H-2B visas and DACA even though he talks all sorts of shit about putting a stop to it.

In the same way Trump is by employing them at his clubs.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:51 am »
https://www.wvtm13.com/article/president-trump-shutdown-showed-whats-going-on-at-border-walls-save-lives/26297226

Trump told thousands at a rally in El Paso, Texas, on Monday that he was told lawmakers are making progress in their bids to avert another shutdown. But he says he told his staff that he didn't want to hear about it and that it was important to speak "to my people from Texas" first.

Trump says, "I had a choice. I could've stayed out there and listened, or I could have come out to the people of El Paso and Texas, I chose you."

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:58 am »
Well, I expected Trump would not get the whole amount he wanted for his wall -- in a negotiation there should be give and take --  but if the rumors of the terms of the agreement are true, he and the Republicans have been hornswoggled.

Again.

And this is why I would have liked to have seen Trump's deal making skills in action instead of him running off on another rock star tour.

But...this supposedly is an agreement in principle.  Let's see what the actual agreement looks like before we rend our garments and throw ashes on our heads.

It's amazing how Trump continues to draw huge and wildly enthusiastic crowds and I know it causes some people and politicians to be jealous.  (Poor Beto tonight)

But that is part of his job as President and leader ... to bring the public around to his plans and he is a master at it.

Once the public is firmly behind him, the fuddy duddies in the Senate will get in line.

Reagan did the same thing.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 03:56:37 am »

Amen, Ambassador.  Trump has been a leader in so many formerly uncharted waters from small things on up.

I was impressed that he entered the fray about California's wildfires which California wants the US to pay for.  California is one of the worst touchy-feely environmental wacko states and their unrealistic forest protection codes made their forests just plain fuel.  I can't imagine another president bringing that up.  Just another occasion of leadership.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 03:57:41 am »

In the same way Trump is by employing them at his clubs.

Is he? That canard has been disproved already because the FBI investigated and found the illegals were using fake green cards to get hired. Time to move on to your next Never Trump talking point Rachel Maddow.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 04:00:32 am »
It's amazing how Trump continues to draw huge and wildly enthusiastic crowds and I know it causes some people and politicians to be jealous.  (Poor Beto tonight)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 04:00:53 am »
Trump on spending deal: 'We're building the wall anyway'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-on-spending-deal-were-building-the-wall-anyway/ar-BBTtfRn

President Trump on Monday said he would build his long-desired wall along the southern border regardless of whether Congress approves funding for it.

"Just so you know, we're building the wall anyway," Trump said at a campaign rally in El Paso, Texas, which sits directly across the Rio Grande from Mexico.

Trump spoke shortly after lawmakers said they had reached a funding deal in principle to avoid another government shutdown set to begin on Saturday. The deal includes some money for barriers along the border.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 04:01:02 am »
Is he? That canard has been disproved already because the FBI investigated and found the illegals were using fake green cards to get hired. Time to move on to your next Never Trump talking point Rachel Maddow.

Really?  The last I read was the the clubs were providing the fake green cards for them.

Offline edpc

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 04:01:52 am »
Trump told thousands at a rally in El Paso, Texas, on Monday that he was told lawmakers are making progress in their bids to avert another shutdown. But he says he told his staff that he didn't want to hear about it and that it was important to speak "to my people from Texas" first.

Trump says, "I had a choice. I could've stayed out there and listened, or I could have come out to the people of El Paso and Texas, I chose you."

Please....

He'd already punted on this. He has no real interest in the negotiating process. Sen. Shelby practically tells us that. He just wants to endlessly campaign and bask in the adulation of adoring throngs. All circus, with no bread.

“The president told me, straight up, when I was with him... He told me more than once that if you can work out a legislative solution to this, do it. That’s what we’re trying to do,” said Shelby, who met with Trump last week. “Considering everything, this would be a good deal.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/11/shutdown-congress-border-security-1163824
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:10:45 am by edpc »