Author Topic: Lawmakers reach agreement 'in principle' to avert shutdown  (Read 8106 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lawmakers reach agreement 'in principle' to avert shutdown
« on: February 12, 2019, 02:00:18 am »
Lawmakers reach agreement 'in principle' to avert shutdown
By Jordain Carney - 02/11/19 08:32 PM EST

Lawmakers said on Monday night that they had reached an agreement "in principle" to avoid a second partial government shutdown set to begin on Saturday.

“We’ve had a good evening. We’ve reached an agreement in principle between us on the Homeland Security and the other six bills,” Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) told reporters.

The breakthrough came after Sens. Shelby (R-Ala.) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Reps. Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) and Kay Granger (R-Texas)—the top members of the Senate and House Appropriations Committee—met three times on Monday night in a last-ditch effort to get a deal.

Negotiators refused to discuss the particulars of the deal and Lowey said staff were still finalizing the details. Lowey said she hopes for legislation to be released on Wednesday.

“I think everyone will say good work,” Granger said.

If negotiators are able to hold an agreement together, it would mark a dramatic U-turn from earlier Monday when both sides were still divided on two key issues: funding for physical barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border and a snag on Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention beds.

The group of core negotiators refused to discuss how they resolved the ICE fight, after Democrats proposed a cap on the number of ICE detention beds, arguing it would force the Trump administration to focus on “serious criminals,” and that numbers were in line with those from the Obama administration.

"We worked it out in principle. We think it's going to work," Shelby said.

Shelby said the agreement includes funding for physical barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border, but declined to say how much the agreement is for or whether it's more than the $1.6 billion included in the Senate's initial Homeland Security bill.

There were signs that a break-through was imminent earlier Monday evening when Shelby and Leahy, standing side by side as they spoke to reporters, said they were closing in on a deal and could wrap up talks before Tuesday.

"We’re talking about reaching an agreement on all of it," Shelby told reporters.

Congress has until Saturday to get the seven remaining fiscal year 2019 appropriations bills to Trump's desk to fund roughly 25 percent of the federal government, including the Department of Homeland Security.

-Juliegrace Brufke contributed to this report which was updated at 8:53 p.m.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/429525-lawmakers-reach-agreement-in-principle-to-avert-shutdown
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Lawmakers have 'agreement in principle' on border security talks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 02:01:22 am »
Lawmakers have 'agreement in principle' on border security talks
Samuel Chamberlain

Congressional negotiators revealed Monday evening that they've reached "an agreement in principle" on border security funding and other issues that could avert a second partial government shutdown this year.

When asked if they had an agreement that President Trump would approve, Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, told reporters: "I think so." Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., declined to give details of the deal, but said more should be known by Wednesday. Lawmakers have until 11:59 p.m. Friday to get the agreement through both houses of Congress and signed by Trump before several Cabinet-level departments shut down and hundreds of thousands of federal workers are furloughed.

Much of the focus will surround how much money will be allotted for Trump's long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The White House has asked for $5.7 billion for the barrier, which congressional Democrats have refused to fund. ...

Continued at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lawmakers-have-agreement-in-principle-on-border-security-talks

Deal reached to avert US new shutdown

Democrats and Republicans reach agreement in principle to fund the US government and avert another partial shutdown

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47207411

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:10:38 am by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Lawmakers reach agreement 'in principle' to avert shutdown
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:08:01 am »
Oh, goodie.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Deal Reached To Avert US New Shutdown
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:08:14 am »
The breakthrough came after Sens. Shelby (R-Ala.) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Reps. Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) and Kay Granger (R-Texas)—the top members of the Senate and House Appropriations Committee—met three times on Monday night in a last-ditch effort to get a deal.

Negotiators refused to discuss the particulars of the deal and Lowey said staff were still finalizing the details.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 02:14:08 am »
Shelby said the agreement includes funding for physical barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border, but declined to say how much the agreement is for or whether it's more than the $1.6 billion included in the Senate's initial Homeland Security bill.

Yeah - if it was anywhere near the $5.7B, they’d be crowing about it.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:18:01 am »
Paging Ms. Pelosi, please drop the scotch and pick up the white courtesy phone.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:25:58 am »
Paging Ms. Pelosi, please drop the scotch and pick up the white courtesy phone.

She's already stated that she'll sign whatever they come up with.  Of course, that way it releases her from any blame if it's not acceptable to the leftists.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 02:27:24 am »
She's already stated that she'll sign whatever they come up with. 

Someone should tell Pelosi she doesn't sign shit.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:28:58 am »
Oh, goodie.

That would be my reaction too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:30:21 am »

Yeah - if it was anywhere near the $5.7B, they’d be crowing about it.

I wonder who the people are that are going to say good work?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 02:33:13 am »
Twitter:
Erica Werner
‏Verified account @ericawerner

The agreement reached tonight would include:

-$1.375b for border barriers (55 new miles of bollard fencing)
-Dems drop call for new cap on ICE beds for detentions in interior
-Overall cap on detention beds drops from 49,057 to 40,520

Per congressional official.

Still looking for other sources.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 02:35:15 am »
https://www.greensboro.com/news/us_world/late-night-budget-agreement-has-lawmakers-optimistic-about-avoiding-shutdown/article_b8353f18-fcbc-5971-b18b-e46e58e725f7.html

Republicans were desperate to avoid another bruising shutdown. They tentatively agreed to far less money for President Donald Trump's border wall than the White House's $5.7 billion wish list, settling for a figure of about $1.4 billion, according to a senior congressional aide.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 02:39:19 am »
I think the democrats are spooked ... a 52% approval rating and more than 30,000 show up in El Paso for a Trump rally .... 20,000+ watching outside on large screens.

The venue holds 8,000...but the fire department took mercy and let 10,000 in.   :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:40:34 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 02:42:46 am »
Someone should tell Pelosi she doesn't sign shit.

Whenever bills pass the House and Senate, the Speaker and President of the Senate (or Pro Tempore) sign them to be delivered to the President for his signature. I learned that in 8th grade civics.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:43:50 am by edpc »

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:25 am »

Whenever bills pass the House and Senate, the Speaker and President of the Senate (or Pro Tempore) sign them to be delivered to the President for his signature. I learned that in 8th grade civics.

Please don't show us your notebook.   :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:48 am »
Twitter:
Still looking for other sources.

Oh, hell no.

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:50 am »
Please don't show us your notebook.   :laugh:

I’m going to excuse your ignorance of legislative process and lame inside jokes to the fact you're ‘edging’ while you watch the El Paso rally.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 03:00:48 am »
Erica Werner

No way!  Who is negotiating for Trump?  This is a Democratic wet dream.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:40 am »
I agree, the bits I hear do not sound too good....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 03:04:20 am »
Erica Werner

pathetic....what is bollard fencing...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 03:05:05 am »
I agree, the bits I hear do not sound too good....

I would say to President Trump save our money because that is a waste.  And reducing cap?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:09 am »
pathetic....what is bollard fencing...

I have to go to bed now.  I can't handle the ups and downs of Trump any longer.  He is on the border talking about all the crimes illegal immigrants are committing and shaming Democrats for not wanting to lock up criminals.  But his negotiators are undermining the very things he is saying making stupid deals.  This is ridiculous. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:12:27 am by Chosen Daughter »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:16 am »

really
Support the USO

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 03:14:14 am »

really

Really.  They come in different kinds but they are meant to stop vehicles not people.  We have them on a trail near me.  Its meant to keep any motor vehicles off the trail.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 03:14:24 am »

Art of the Deal.  Don't mess with the master realtor!