Author Topic: NJ Voters Furious As Governor Murphy Prepares To Sign 'Rain Tax' Into Law  (Read 17012 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-10/nj-voters-furious-governor-murphy-prepares-sign-rain-tax-law

The 'rain tax', which is largely supported by Democrats and largely opposed by Republicans, would allow towns, counties and local authorities to set up their own storm water utilities. These newly created arms of local bureaucracy would be empowered to charge property owners a fee based on the amount of non-permeable surface they own (think: parking lots and driveways). The logic behind this is that non-permeable surfaces create runoff when it rains, and that runoff gets polluted as it travels from these surfaces into local sewers, and then on to the state's water ways. The revenue generated by these taxes would be used to upgrade the state's storm water systems, and save the state's already polluted waters from further pollution (though the state would step in and scoop up 5% of all revenues).

The EPA, according to an op-ed published by North Jersey.com, has estimated that a complete overhaul of NJ's stormwater systems would cost $15.6 billion.

But unfortunately for Democrats, while taxing the rich might be in vogue among 2020 presidential contenders (because focus groups have suggested that raising taxes on other people remains a politically popular position), very few middle-class voters in a state that is already one of the most heavily taxed in the country want another massive tax levied on their driveway.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: NJ Voters Furious As Governor Murphy Prepares To Sign 'Rain Tax' Into Law
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:33:25 pm »
Strange time.  High tax states going for broke.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:36:27 pm »

They certainly are in CA.

Thirty years ago I'd expect incensed taxpayers to swing things back to the right.

But critical mass has been achieved, demographically, and that is no longer a possibility.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:42:33 pm »

They have to because they are broke. All the builders in Eastern PA are now advertising for NJ dopes to move across the river to PA to save huge on taxes. Now we're going to be flooded with a bunch of Lib voters who do not want to live under the oppressive govt' they supported in the first place.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:49:45 pm »
They have to because they are broke. All the builders in Eastern PA are now advertising for NJ dopes to move across the river to PA to save huge on taxes. Now we're going to be flooded with a bunch of Lib voters who do not want to live under the oppressive govt' they supported in the first place.

I do feel sympathy, I really do.  Since Texas has been inundated by them.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 05:24:34 pm »
Ugh. I saw this last week. It’s really going to hit as all the snow expected this week melts.

I’ve already told my mom I’m going to move when she’s no longer here.

My alma mater is having a reunion in May and I’m amazed at the number of people counting the days (and years) til they are 62 or 65 or even 60 so they can retire and move to Florida or New Mexico or Arizona and out of NJ.

My sister is looking at places in Denver. I won’t move there, I’m looking at some other place. Haven’t a clue but it can’t be Florida. I need dry heat and preferably all four seasons.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:43:08 pm »
Ugh. I saw this last week. It’s really going to hit as all the snow expected this week melts.

My alma mater is having a reunion in May and I’m amazed at the number of people counting the days (and years) til they are 62 or 65 or even 60 so they can retire and move to Florida or New Mexico or Arizona and out of NJ.

My sister is looking at places in Denver. I won’t move there, I’m looking at some other place. Haven’t a clue but it can’t be Florida. I need dry heat and preferably all four seasons.

Northern Arizona might do.  Ask @Cyber Liberty about it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:48:38 pm »

Please tell your friends and neighbors that PA is openly hostile to people with yellow plates. Also tell them that PA is a gun friendly state and we like to wave them around. Then tell them FL and TX is nice this time of year.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:51:26 pm »
Northern Arizona might do.  Ask @Cyber Liberty about it.

The part of Northern AZ where we live now is actually hotter than Phoenix, but most of the North is high elevation, is much cooler, and has a few Skiing Resorts because they get a lot of snow.  The North Rim of the Grand Canyon gets over 200" of snow per year.

Not a lot of places for non-Indians to live, though...it's mostly Navajo Res.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 06:39:18 pm »

Take a look at Boise. The midwest is too flat for me. The left coast is out. Northern AZ is probably good. Southern Utah too lonely. I don't know if you are arrogant enough to be a Texan.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:03 pm »
Take a look at Boise. The midwest is too flat for me. The left coast is out. Northern AZ is probably good. Southern Utah too lonely. I don't know if you are arrogant enough to be a Texan.

:tongue2:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 06:45:25 pm »

:happyhappy:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:42 pm »
Sorry, not seeing the part where NJ voters are furious.  I thought they liked higher taxes.  They keep voting for them again and again and again.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:53 pm »
   I resemble that remark @bigheadfred
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:11 pm »
Please tell your friends and neighbors that PA is openly hostile to people with yellow plates. Also tell them that PA is a gun friendly state and we like to wave them around. Then tell them FL and TX is nice this time of year.

Yes, but hot and humid the other 364 days of the year in Florida.  Plus, we have the Stand Your Ground law and it's like the Wild West here.  Don't know why anyone would want to move here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:14:30 pm »
The part of Northern AZ where we live now is actually hotter than Phoenix, but most of the North is high elevation, is much cooler, and has a few Skiing Resorts because they get a lot of snow.  The North Rim of the Grand Canyon gets over 200" of snow per year.

Not a lot of places for non-Indians to live, though...it's mostly Navajo Res.

What about Flagstaff?

Online corbe

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 07:15:15 pm »
   Texas has larger cockroaches and many mehicans so I'd rule that out too (except for @Freya )
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 07:17:33 pm »
   Texas has larger cockroaches and many mehicans so I'd rule that out too (except for @Freya )

Those are palmetto bugs, just ask @RoosGirl (or, my grandmother, were she still with us.  She would never call them cockroaches.)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 07:18:29 pm »
What about Flagstaff?

Flagstaff=Alpine country.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 07:19:18 pm »
Those are palmetto bugs, just ask @RoosGirl (or, my grandmother, were she still with us.  She would never call them cockroaches.)

Palmetto Bug makes people feel better about you having them as pets.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 07:19:20 pm »
Flagstaff=Alpine country.

Yes, I love it there.  Beautiful place.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 07:19:59 pm »

Call them anything you want. Except 'dinner".

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 07:21:30 pm »
Palmetto Bug makes people feel better about you having them as pets.

Pets being the keyword.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 07:22:05 pm »
Call them anything you want. Except 'dinner".

Ugh.  They're the one thing that can make me scream like a girl.  Icky, icky.