Author Topic: IS THE 10MM EVERYTHING IT’S CRACKED UP TO BE?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
IS THE 10MM EVERYTHING IT’S CRACKED UP TO BE?
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:17:27 pm »
The “caliber wars” are completely redundant by this point, but people still like getting into it and one of the rounds that is getting more frequently touted as a wunderkind is the 10mm Auto. The Springfield 10mm TRP RMR is a joy to shoot and the new(ish) XDM 4.5 in 10mm sure ain’t bad either.

It’s a great round, no doubt about it. Is it everything people say it is? Is the 10mm the king of all handgun rounds?

In point of fact it’s not, but if you wanted to get into a particular caliber for its inherent advantages, 10mm offers a lot if you have the right job in mind for it.

Cartridges are merely tools and each has a best use. 9x19mm is the gold standard of personal protection rounds because it’s more or less the floor for reliable stoppages when used in a personal defense role, recoil is very manageable and ammunition is cheap. .44 Magnum is good for handgun hunting as it offers the devastating energy necessary to down large game at close quarters, but isn’t the best for personal defense because recoil is punishing and it’s – if anything – overpowered for humans.

And so on.

What is 10mm good for? Almost everything, actually; there is no better all-purpose handgun round out there except maybe for .45 Super despite that round never catching on. It can be loaded light for target use and personal defense, and loaded heavy for handgun hunting. It’s been proven in the field for use on whitetail deer and hogs. A number of Alaskans carry 10mm pistols for bear defense and there are a number of reports of successful bear stoppages with the round.

Light loads are basically a .40 S&W with a longer case. Medium loads are about equal to most .357 Magnum loads. Handloaders have long bemoaned how diluted 10mm factory loads are, so it’s capable of .41 Magnum power levels.

However, it does come with some costs.

First, ammo is a little more expensive. If you’re used to buying 9mm hardball, you’ll get a little sticker shock. If you’re used to buying .45 ACP, it isn’t too much worse.

As to use as defensive ammunition, most real-world results in self-defense encounters basically indicate that overpowered handgun ammunition doesn’t really give you much advantage; going up 1mm won’t guarantee a one-shot-stop at all. It remains that 9mm is cheaper, easier to shoot, and with modern hollow points, more than effective enough for personal defense.

As far as handgun hunting goes, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt +P, .454 Casull (and larger) have an edge in terms of velocity, energy and terminal performance. Will it work? You bet! But there are some tools that work a little better at that task. As far as a bear pistol goes, that’s a little different. 10mm has worked in the field and gives you more (and faster) follow-up shots, but a .44 Mag has drastically more energy on impact.

Then there’s the hitch of actually finding a gun.

There are plenty of 10mm pistols out there, be in no doubt. The bulk of them, however, are 1911-pattern guns. Only a few are Commander frames (Rock Island Armory makes a couple) but none are lightweight models. Compacts in 10mm are rare (I’m aware of three, two of which are Glocks and one is made by Tanfoglio) so you’d better be up for packing a full-size if you’re determined to carry a 10mm pistol.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/09/ccw-weekend-is-the-10mm-everything-its-cracked-up-to-be/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: IS THE 10MM EVERYTHING IT’S CRACKED UP TO BE?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:31:58 pm »
For handguns, I already have .22rf, .22 K-Hornet, 7.62x25, 32ACP, .357Herrett, 380, 38Special, 9mm, 9mmLargo, .410, 45ACP, and 45Colt. What would 10mm give me that I don't already handle already?  You see, I don't believe in one caliber to do it all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:36:27 pm by Elderberry »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:40:59 pm »
10mm is disappearing so why bother discussing it?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:41:48 pm »
For handguns, I already have .22rf, .22 K-Hornet, 7.62x25, 32ACP, .357Herrett, 380, 38Special, 9mm, 9mmLargo, .410, 45ACP, and 45Colt. What would 10mm give me that I don't already handle already?  You see, I don't believe in one caliber to do it all.

I actually had to look up the 9mm Largo.  I'd never heard of that particular flavor of 9mm.

I don't think there's a one sie fits all caliber either.  You pick the caliber for the task at hand.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:42:19 pm »

From some of the things I've been ready...it's beginning to make a small comeback.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:46:42 pm »
From some of the things I've been ready...it's beginning to make a small comeback.

Dang!  I just got rid of about 10K rounds of brass!  Just my luck!

My testing indicates that there is no discernable difference between 10mm and 9mm in the only performance category I'm interested in. Stopping power.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:51:55 pm »

My testing indicates that there is no discernable difference between 10mm and 9mm in the only performance category I'm interested in. Stopping power.

I'm with you on this. Put multiple rounds to COM and de-ass the area ASAP.

I think 10mm would be a fun round to shoot, especially if you reload, but it's impractical for me to ever carry it, and the last thing I need is another caliber, so not for me.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:52:57 pm »

Discussing firearms ownership on the internet isn't a good idea at any rate.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:49:31 pm »

@Bigun

When it comes to self-defense against people,bullet placement is EVERYTHING. Put pretty much any caliber bullet through an eye socket,and it's game over.

Having said that,if you have never been in a gunfight before and are nervous,that's not the shot for you to take. Go for center mass. Often. Maybe even until your gun quits making rude noises. When in genuine fear of your life,there is no such thing as too much shooting.

Still,you just can't beat big,soft,and moderate velocity that makes back up shots quick and easy. Think 44 Special in revolvers,and 45 ACP in auto-loaders. You might need slightly hotter loads in the winter if you live somewhere like Minneapolis where everybody is wearing 17 layers of clothes,but there is a bullet and a load out there for you. I like lead SWC's at moderate velocities ,but have some 45 ACP handloads worked up for the Combat Commander I built that will beat a stock 45 pistol to death. The flip side of this is factory loads won't even cycle the slide on my combat commander. This is what I carry when I am going to the city and expect to be in a car or to have attackers in a car and need greater penetration, Needless to say,the SWC's I use in this load are hard cast,or I just use 200 grain jacketed hollowpoints. Expansion is not really a concern if you put one where it needs to go.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:35 pm »
I actually had to look up the 9mm Largo.  I'd never heard of that particular flavor of 9mm.

Otherwise known as  9mm Bergmann-Bayard.  Its between the 9mm Luger and 38Super in power. I shoot it in an Astra 400
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:58:31 pm by Elderberry »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:00:22 pm »

http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/comeback-of-the-10mm/329487#

I've seen on some discussion forums that hikers and outdoors types are using 10mm as their trail gun to protect themselves from bears and mountain lions.  Ruger even makes a version of their Super Redhawk revolver in 10mm.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:37 pm »
I was curious and looked up 10mm ammo that was suggested as a bear load.

One was:
HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
(1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)
20 Round Box

ITEM 21C

Item 21C (a 220gr. Hard Cast plain based LFN) is the absolute heaviest bullet that can be fired through 10MM pistols. With its flat nose, it will penetrate straight and very deeply into muscle and bone. Straight line penetration into living tissue will exceed three feet.

Please note below, my personal velocities taken from real pistols.

➤ 1140 fps - Glock model 20 4.6-inch barrel
➤ 1175 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5-inch barrel
➤ 1201 fps - Para Ordnance 1911 with Nowlin 5-inch barrel

My 45 Colt with its 4-5/8 inch barrel will propel 300 grain bullets to 1100 fps with a ME of 816 ft-lbs using a load in Hornady’s book with velocity and ME from Quickload. Hornady showed velocity for a 10” T/C barrel.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:28 pm »
I was curious and looked up 10mm ammo that was suggested as a bear load.

One was:
My 45 Colt with its 4-5/8 inch barrel will propel 300 grain bullets to 1100 fps with a ME of 816 ft-lbs using a load in Hornady’s book with velocity and ME from Quickload. Hornady showed velocity for a 10” T/C barrel.

I don't think I would have accepted a 10mm as my bear carry gun in Alaska.  I would have to use the 44 mag if that was my concern.  I remember the river tour guides carried 12 gauge loaded with slugs.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »
I have Mechanic friends who keep a couple of extra 10mm sockets in their toolboxes because they are common and easy-to-lose...

Oh, wait.  "Shooting Sports."  Ooops.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 03:06:17 am »
Is 10mm a Viable Self-Defense Caliber?

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/10mm-self-defense/

Since it first debuted in 1983, 10mm Auto has dominated the handgun scene as the ballistic equivalent of the mighty hammer of Thor. At least that’s what one might think from listening to some of the caliber’s more zealous advocates. But now you can see for yourself how it stacks up to other handgun calibers since we recently added several 10mm loads to our ongoing ballistic gelatin testing project.

As always, I have tried to refrain from tainting the test results post with too much of my own opinion and commentary. But after considering what we saw in the gel tests, I wanted to offer a few thoughts about the suitability of 10mm in a self-defense role. Watch the video below, or scroll down to read the full transcript.

10mm Auto versus .40 S&W

So that brings us back around to the issue of ballistics. If we’re going to seriously consider 10mm for personal protection, we have to ask what it’s bringing to the table that we can’t get out of one of these other calibers. Let’s take a closer look at these gel test results and compare them to some of our previous tests. I’m going to focus on .40 S&W because it’s got a history linked to 10mm. Back in the early 90s, .40 S&W started out as just a weaker version of 10mm, but there have been major advancements in bullet technology since then and modern 40 caliber loads have a reputation for excellent street performance. The ammo companies haven’t put nearly as much effort into improving 10mm over the years. A lot of today’s 10mm factory loads actually use the same bullets with the same velocities as .40 S&W loads. But that’s not always the case.

The Hornady XTP loads are good examples. Compared to their .40 S&W counterparts, the 155 and 180 grain XTPs both have 20% more velocity in 10mm. Now to be fair, when we did our .40 S&W tests, we used a Glock 27 with a 3.4-inch barrel. Our Glock 20 10mm test gun has a 4.6-inch barrel, so this isn’t exactly an apples to apples comparison. If we added an inch to the Glock 27 barrel, we’d expect to see the velocity go up by about 30 to 80 feet per second, which would still be much slower than the 10mm loads. Using the data we do have, the XTP bullets seem to perform much better at the 10mm velocities. We get better expansion and none of the over-penetration that we see with the 40s.

The 180 grain Federal Hydra-Shok is also loaded in both calibers, but there is only a 7.5% velocity increase in 10mm. From a ballistics standpoint, these two loads are essentially the same thing. Penetration is right around 16 inches and the expanded diameter is about .60 inches for both loads. This is ideal performance in gelatin for self-defense ammo.
More at link.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 10:42:40 am »
I have a similar list: .22 rf, .25, 7.62X25, .38+P, 9X18, 9X19, 9mm Largo, .44 Rem Mag, .45ACP, .50 (black powder)

I am in the same boat. Only a couple I'd like to get, but not much I need.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline JonBoyAZ

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 08:42:03 pm »
Primary wound channel and penetration are the two most important factors for handgun effectiveness so shot placement is paramount.  Cavitation or Hydrostatic shock are a myth when it comes to any handgun caliber.  If I can attach the study to back this up I will.

Ironically,  we have the 10mm because of the FBI’s mistaken belief that 9mm wasn’t effective.  This came from a shooting in FL were they hit determined suspects multiple times.  The suspects were able to keep fighting after several hits.  To be fair the 9mm Ammo used at the time didn’t reliably expand like it does now. 

Managing the recoil of the 10mm makes it harder to deliver combat effective accuracy fast.  If you don’t believe me run a drill like El Presidente with a 10mm and a 9mm and see which is easier.  Hold yourself to an 8 inch circle high center chest.  Make it a goal to run it in 10 seconds.

By the way, You guys are awesome!  I just signed up with briefing because of all of your  thoughtful posts.

Offline JonBoyAZ

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:03 pm »
Oops I forgot the study.  Here it is.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 09:15:26 pm »
Oops I forgot the study.  Here it is.
Downloaded for some reading, thanks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 09:30:14 pm »
By the way, You guys are awesome!  I just signed up with briefing because of all of your  thoughtful posts.

@JonBoyAZ

Welcome to TBR!  We thank you very much for that, and look forward to your posts on shooting sports.  I look forward to seeing you some more.

It's nice to have another fellow Arizonan on the forum!  I'm an Admin here, so PM me if you have any questions/issues.  Come visit The Lounge when you feel like talking about other things than politics!

Mash here to enter the Members Lounge.  I hang out there a lot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:32:26 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 09:32:01 pm »
Primary wound channel and penetration are the two most important factors for handgun effectiveness so shot placement is paramount.  Cavitation or Hydrostatic shock are a myth when it comes to any handgun caliber.  If I can attach the study to back this up I will.

Ironically,  we have the 10mm because of the FBI’s mistaken belief that 9mm wasn’t effective.  This came from a shooting in FL were they hit determined suspects multiple times.  The suspects were able to keep fighting after several hits.  To be fair the 9mm Ammo used at the time didn’t reliably expand like it does now. 

Managing the recoil of the 10mm makes it harder to deliver combat effective accuracy fast.  If you don’t believe me run a drill like El Presidente with a 10mm and a 9mm and see which is easier.  Hold yourself to an 8 inch circle high center chest.  Make it a goal to run it in 10 seconds.

@JonBoyAZ

Great first post!  Welcome to TBR!  Pretty sure you're going to fit in just fine!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 09:33:51 pm »
@JonBoyAZ

Great first post!  Welcome to TBR!  Pretty sure you're going to fit in just fine!

Jon will love you, @txradioguy and @Meldrew@sneakypete too!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 04:54:37 am »
What @Cyber Liberty said, welcome @JonBoyAZ

As mentioned above, 10mm is probably well suited for outdoors/trail duty here in the lower 48 but otherwise a bit much for daily carry.  Often guys who insist on 10mm are compensating for something (and in my thinking it's more a lack of female companionship than actual physical shortcomings). 

If you absolutely must have a 10mm, the new Rock Island 1911's are inexpensive and comparatively reliable.  There are better out there to be sure but you'll pay the 10mm premium on top of the brand et.al. premium.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 05:51:21 am »
First, ammo is a little more expensive.

Not to mention harder to find.  Before Obama, I could purchase it at Wal-Mart.  Since 2009, haven't seen it in a store anywhere.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 02:23:27 pm »
@JonBoyAZ

Welcome aboard!

Some more reading material:

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

by Greg Ellifritz

I've been interested in firearm stopping power for a very long time. I remember reading Handguns magazine back in the late 1980s when Evan Marshall was writing articles about his stopping power studies. When Marshall's first book came out in 1992, I ordered it immediately, despite the fact that I was a college student and really couldn't afford its $39 price tag. Over the years I bought all of the rest of Marshall's books as well as anything else I could find on the subject. I even have a first edition of Gunshot Injuries by Louis Lagarde published in 1915.

Every source I read has different recommendations. Some say Marshall's data is genius. Some say it is statistically impossible. Some like big heavy bullets. Some like lighter, faster bullets. There isn't any consensus. The more I read, the more confused I get.

One thing I remember reading that made a lot of sense to me was an article by Massad Ayoob. He came out with his own stopping power data around the time Marshall published Handgun Stopping Power. In the article, Ayoob took his critics to task. He suggested that if people didn't believe his data, they should collect their own and do their own analysis. That made sense to me. So that's just what I did. I always had a slight problem with the methodology of Marshall and Sanow's work. For consistency purposes, they ONLY included hits to the torso and ONLY included cases where the person was hit with just a single round. Multiple hits screwed up their data, so they excluded them. This led to an unrealistically high stopping power percentage, because it factored out many of the cases where a person didn't stop! I wanted to look at hits anywhere on the body and get a realistic idea of actual stopping power, no matter how many hits it took to get it. So I started collecting data.

Over a 10-year period, I kept track of stopping power results from every shooting I could find. I talked to the participants of gunfights, read police reports, attended autopsies, and scoured the newspapers, magazines, and Internet for any reliable accounts of what happened to the human body when it was shot.

I documented all of the data I could; tracking caliber, type of bullet (if known), where the bullet hit and whether or not the person was incapacitated. I also tracked fatalities, noting which bullets were more likely to kill and which were not. It was an exhaustive project, but I'm glad I did it and I'm happy to report the results of my study here.

---Take a look at the data. I hope it helps you decide what weapon to carry. No matter which gun you choose, pick one that is reliable and train with it until you can get fast accurate hits. Nothing beyond that really matters!

His 10 year analysis at link above.