Author Topic: IS THE 10MM EVERYTHING IT’S CRACKED UP TO BE?  (Read 5255 times)

Offline thackney

Re: IS THE 10MM EVERYTHING IT’S CRACKED UP TO BE?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 02:52:48 pm »
Some more reading material:

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

His 10 year analysis at link above.

Thanks for sharing that info.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 03:01:32 pm »
@JonBoyAZ

Welcome aboard!

Some more reading material:

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

His 10 year analysis at link above.

Excellent information @Elderberry!  Confirms what we all already know really.  Proficiency is FAR more important than the round used.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 06:17:31 pm »
Excellent information @Elderberry!  Confirms what we all already know really.  Proficiency is FAR more important than the round used.
More important to carry a firearm in a caliber you are comfortable shooting and can accurately shoot than a hand cannon you might miss with. Practice, Practice, Practice....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 08:11:50 pm »
What @Cyber Liberty said, welcome @JonBoyAZ

As mentioned above, 10mm is probably well suited for outdoors/trail duty here in the lower 48 but otherwise a bit much for daily carry.  Often guys who insist on 10mm are compensating for something (and in my thinking it's more a lack of female companionship than actual physical shortcomings). 

If you absolutely must have a 10mm, the new Rock Island 1911's are inexpensive and comparatively reliable.  There are better out there to be sure but you'll pay the 10mm premium on top of the brand et.al. premium.

@Cyber Liberty

I have 3 different 1911's in 45ACP,including one old Combat Commander Colt that I built up that will handle special loads I cooked up that will turn a stock Colt into scrap. GI Ball ammo won't even cycle the slide far enough to jam.

One is a slightly turned up stocker I mostly shoot 200 grain semi-wadcutters in,and the last one is tuned for accuracy and also gets the 200 grain SWC's or standared 230 grain ball loads.

For the life of me I just can't think of why I would need a 10mm.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:19 pm »
@Meldrew speaking of Rock Island...my favorite LGS back in Kentucky has the RIA 10mm for $399 right now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:12 pm »
Ok let's think of the 10mm in a different way...so it might now be the best round for a carry gun...but what about in rifle form...say a 10mm pistol caliber carbine for home/campsite defense?

Do the same problems/issues hold true if that 10mm is coming out of a 16 1/2" barrel?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 08:33:37 pm »
Still don't need it. My M1 Carbine and Win 1200 12 ga cover my needs. Unless I need to step up to long range firepower. That's covered as well.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »
Ok let's think of the 10mm in a different way...so it might now be the best round for a carry gun...but what about in rifle form...say a 10mm pistol caliber carbine for home/campsite defense?

Do the same problems/issues hold true if that 10mm is coming out of a 16 1/2" barrel?

@txradioguy

My OPINION is that for a camp gun,you need more powder capacity to take advantage of the bore diameter. Yeah,it would be fine against 2-legged predators,but even some of the smaller fur-bearing predators can be a lot harder to stop than a sub-human.

IMNSHO,if you are going to carry a rifle or carbine,make sure it is chambered for a rifle cartridge.

The Marlin lever action in 444 or 45/70 is a pretty damn slick and effective carbine.

I have been out of the gun business for so long I no longer know what is available,but there might be a semi-auto carbine you like in one of those or a similar caliber. Think "big,heavy,and slow". You want slow so it doesn't over-penetrate.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:34:55 pm by sneakypete »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 08:50:34 pm »
Think "big,heavy,and slow". You want slow so it doesn't over-penetrate.

The reason I carry the heaviest grain personal defense rounds I can.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 08:55:39 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

I have 3 different 1911's in 45ACP,including one old Combat Commander Colt that I built up that will handle special loads I cooked up that will turn a stock Colt into scrap. GI Ball ammo won't even cycle the slide far enough to jam.

One is a slightly turned up stocker I mostly shoot 200 grain semi-wadcutters in,and the last one is tuned for accuracy and also gets the 200 grain SWC's or standared 230 grain ball loads.

For the life of me I just can't think of why I would need a 10mm.

Seems like a "Bastard Size," sort of like a 13/32" hex bolt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 09:17:15 pm »
@txradioguy

My OPINION is that for a camp gun,you need more powder capacity to take advantage of the bore diameter. Yeah,it would be fine against 2-legged predators,but even some of the smaller fur-bearing predators can be a lot harder to stop than a sub-human.

IMNSHO,if you are going to carry a rifle or carbine,make sure it is chambered for a rifle cartridge.

The Marlin lever action in 444 or 45/70 is a pretty damn slick and effective carbine.

I have been out of the gun business for so long I no longer know what is available,but there might be a semi-auto carbine you like in one of those or a similar caliber. Think "big,heavy,and slow". You want slow so it doesn't over-penetrate.
I have a marlin in .44 Rem Magnum, pistol and rifle make a nice combo. Rounds loaded for the rifle work well in the pistol, although the pistol (Ruger Super Blackhawk) can actually handle hotter loads.

Fully loaded, the Marlin holds 10 rounds.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:18:48 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 12:06:58 am »
I have a marlin in .44 Rem Magnum, pistol and rifle make a nice combo. Rounds loaded for the rifle work well in the pistol, although the pistol (Ruger Super Blackhawk) can actually handle hotter loads.

Fully loaded, the Marlin holds 10 rounds.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,I see no good reason why that won't work for you.

The Golden Rule of EVERYTHING is "If it ain't broke,don't fix it!"

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 07:56:01 pm »
I always wanted to get a companion rifle for my 45LC Ruger Blackhawk, but I already had a Marlin 45-70. The Marlin has gone thru several hunters. Two were brothers that I knew from elementary school. After I got it, I was constantly loaning it out. Finally it developed the "Marlin Jam".

I followed the repair instructions at this site and its back in action: http://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 09:22:07 pm »
I always wanted to get a companion rifle for my 45LC Ruger Blackhawk, but I already had a Marlin 45-70. The Marlin has gone thru several hunters. Two were brothers that I knew from elementary school. After I got it, I was constantly loaning it out. Finally it developed the "Marlin Jam".

I followed the repair instructions at this site and its back in action: http://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm
Thanks for that link!

C S Lewis