Author Topic: Fastback Ford F-150 proves crossover coupes are so hot right now  (Read 1514 times)

Offline thackney

Fastback Ford F-150 proves crossover coupes are so hot right now
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:10 pm »
Fastback Ford F-150 proves crossover coupes are so hot right now
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/10/fastback-ford-f-150-michigan-vehicle-solutions/
Feb 10th 2019

Michigan Vehicle Solutions (MVS) wants to solve automotive problems, even ones that don't exist. The Detroit-area garage just announced a new type of truck bed cap that could either set off a major trend or end up in the history books as an invention nobody asked for. Fitted for the Ford F-150, the Aero-X is a sloping triangular cap that creates the look of a fastback pickup.

Since the beginning of car design, there has been a battle raging on between two pillars that blend together to create an automobile. Form and function are constantly at odds, each trying to convince designers it is more important than the other. On pickup trucks, which are inherently meant for work, function has always been of highest importance. MVS wanted to slightly shift that idea.

Traditionally, bed caps are used for two main purposes: to cover and protect the gear inside the bed and to expand the amount of available space in the bed. The Aero-X technically addresses both of these areas, and adds its own style. The single-piece application completely changes the look of the truck, and MVS says the design aids in aerodynamic efficiency, as well

Pointed out by The Drive, the Fiberglass Aero-X functions similarly to a sportback. Gas struts lift the top portion up, while the sides remain stationary. It uses OEM paint, has a finished headliner, offers tempered and tinted glass, and has an LED interior dome light. It also has an integrated LED brake light and locks with a key. For extra cost, buyers can add a rear spoiler to match the aggressive sports car look of the window louvres or add a speaker system for tailgating tunes.

The Aero-X, which reportedly starts at $3,995, is available for F-150s with 5.5- and 6.5-foot beds model year 2015 to current. MVS also states that similar designs will be available for more Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, and Nissan models....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online rustynail

Re: Fastback Ford F-150 proves crossover coupes are so hot right now
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:22 pm »
Some say it looks like a Pontiac Aztek.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 02:49:10 pm »
Sloping cap or not, trucks miss out a lot! if they don't have a full length bed. I slept in the back of my 82 Chevy pickup with its camper shell on the back, lots of times.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:49:34 pm »

I don't see it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline kidd

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:28:04 pm »
I just got an F-150.
Very happy with it. Ford boosted gas mileage (I get 19 mpg) without a loss of power. Lots of room in the second row seats. I can tow almost 4 tons.

I can see this working for some people, but I want my truck to look like a truck.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:35:47 pm »
Some say it looks like a Pontiac Aztek.

That's exactly what it looks like, making it a tie for the second ugliest vehicle, ever.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:40:20 pm »
That's exactly what it looks like, making it a tie for the second ugliest vehicle, ever.

If GM ever brought Pontiac back that is what it would make.  Just add some more plastic body side cladding and you are there.

It needs the tent camping option
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:42:22 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:50:41 pm »
Take a big pickup, then make the bed useless except maybe for groceries. May as well own a big suburban, at least people could sit back there.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:00:12 pm »
If GM ever brought Pontiac back that is what it would make.  Just add some more plastic body side cladding and you are there.

It needs the tent camping option

I've seen those stupid tent set ups trade hands for thousands of dollars. Between the bullet proof 6's and drive train in those Aztek', the Breaking Bad tie in and the Edsel nature of the car the Aztek is going to be a future collectible.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:06:07 pm »
If one of the louvres needs replacing, maybe find one at the wrecking yard, off a 1976 Toyota Celica fastback.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:14:11 pm »
If one of the louvres needs replacing, maybe find one at the wrecking yard, off a 1976 Toyota Celica fastback.

Hey man. Louvers are cool....

.....just not on this ugly Ford truck.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:33:41 pm »
I don't see them being big sellers in rural areas where people use trucks as trucks,but I do see them appealing to the city people who buy pu's because they are safer and have more room than cars. The only thing these people are ever going to haul in them anyhow is a kids bike or a couple of bags of grass seed.

They might make a big dent in camper shell sales,though. People who put camper shells on pu's don't use them as pu's,either.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:38:44 pm »
Hey man. Louvers are cool....

.....just not on this ugly Ford truck.

If you ever want to piss a ricer off, call his fart can equipped car a Datsun.   Nice Datsun go got there!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:29 pm »
Good job, Ford.  Way to make it even harder to reach your shit at the front of the truck bed.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 05:52:16 pm »
If you ever want to piss a ricer off, call his fart can equipped car a Datsun.   Nice Datsun go got there!

Laugh all you want about Datsuns but clean solid 510's are over $20K now and heading towards $30K. 5 effing 10's!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 06:07:40 pm »
Good job, Ford.  Way to make it even harder to reach your shit at the front of the truck bed.

I'd gladly blame Ford for this, except they're not the ones selling it...it's an after-market add-on.

Whomever it is should probably roast in car-Hell....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »
Laugh all you want about Datsuns but clean solid 510's are over $20K now and heading towards $30K. 5 effing 10's!

For the record, I was against the change from Datsun to Nissan at the time.   :tongue2:

I liked Datsuns (except I'd never own one).
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 06:25:37 pm »
I'd gladly blame Ford for this, except they're not the ones selling it...it's an after-market add-on.

Whomever it is should probably roast in car-Hell....

That's what I get for looking at the pics and not reading the article.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »
That's what I get for looking at the pics and not reading the article.

LOL!  If we were talking about bridge construction, I'll be the one looking at the pictures while you read the article.
I will NOT comply.