Author Topic: Jonah Goldberg: The problem with 'social justice'  (Read 290 times)

rangerrebew

Jonah Goldberg: The problem with 'social justice'
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:41:26 pm »
Jonah Goldberg: The problem with 'social justice'

Jonah Goldberg Published 6:00 a.m. ET Feb. 10, 2019 | Updated 1:40 p.m. ET Feb. 10, 2019

Historically oppressed or disadvantaged groups want payback in the name of social justice.

Noah Rothman, a brilliant young writer and editor at Commentary magazine, has just published his first book, and it’s about nonsense.

Let me be clear: The book isn’t nonsense. It’s crisp, insightful, and passionate. The topic, captured in the title, Unjust: Social Justice and the Unmaking of America, is nonsense because social justice is nonsense.

Now, when I say “nonsense,” I mean nonsensical, as in lacking interior logic and definitional rigor. A few years ago, while working on my book The Tyranny of Clichés, I put on my prospector’s helmet and mined the literature for an agreed-upon definition of social justice. What I found was one deposit after another of fool’s gold. From labor unions to countless universities to gay-rights groups to even the American Nazi party, everyone insisted they were champions of social justice. The only disagreements hinged on who is most in need of this precious resource.

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2019/02/10/jonah-goldberg-the-problem-social-justice/2814705002/