Author Topic: Why Does the Bubonic Plague Still Exist Today? The Answer Could Be in the Soil.  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Pacific Standard by Jack Denton  Feb 6, 2019

Last month, a third cat in Wyoming was diagnosed with the plague, two years after a massive outbreak in Madagascar. Are amoebas or rodents to blame?

Sniffles, coughing, fever, aches and pain, swollen lymph nodes, vomiting, and diarrhea. It's that time once more: the bubonic plague is again upon us.

Last month, a third cat in Wyoming was diagnosed with the plague, precipitating a warning from state health officials. Though the disease is most famous for causing the Black Death in the 14th century, the plague is still very much with us. According to the Wyoming Department of Health, about seven human infections occur in the United States each year. Globally, hundreds, at minimum.

All of these infections stem from one definitive sickness: the bubonic plague—the plague. Or rather, it's one of the three potential forms that the disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis can take. Its name comes from the swollen lymph nodes, where infected cells, known as buboes, tend to congregate. Plague caused by Yersinia pestis can also manifest as pneumonic plague, in which the infection is focused in the lungs, and can be spread by coughing airborne droplets. The final form is the truly horrific septicemic plague, in which the infection spreads to the blood, turning body tissue a frostbite black.

Our world is filled with so many plagues—bubonic, sure, but also locusts, the flu, climate change, Starbucks, Twitter—but few have had as severe an impact as the plague. "Bubonic plague is by far the most common, and the most iconic plague,"—both historically and now, says David Markman, a biologist who will receive his Ph.D. from Colorado State University next month.

According to University of Oslo biologist Nils Christian Stenseth no other documented disease outbreak comes close to the lethality of the Black Death, which killed off 50 percent of Europe's population at the time—hundreds of millions of people. The Plague of Justinian killed tens of millions of people around the rim of the Mediterranean Sea nearly a millennium before the Black Death, and a third pandemic spread globally from China's Yunnan province at the turn of the 20th century. Historical records document numerous smaller plague outbreaks between these larger pandemics.

More: https://psmag.com/environment/the-bubonic-plague-til-death-do-we-part

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Not going to read that. Plague is a shot away from getting out and on your way today.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

This is a disease that killed off 50% of Europe.  Why isn't it part of the standard vaccine protocol?  Certainly they're not averse to adding more and more and more things to the vaccine schedule.  There's 72 doses now, would 73 really hurt?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is a disease that killed off 50% of Europe.  Why isn't it part of the standard vaccine protocol?  Certainly they're not averse to adding more and more and more things to the vaccine schedule.  There's 72 doses now, would 73 really hurt?

We have a sizable minority in the US that thinks we already have 72 too many.  This ignorance and conspiracy mongering is what we're up against.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

According to University of Oslo biologist Nils Christian Stenseth no other documented disease outbreak comes close to the lethality of the Black Death, which killed off 50 percent of Europe's population at the time—hundreds of millions of people.

At a time when the entire world population was measured in hundreds of millions of people, I kind of doubt that 50 percent of Europe's population was measured in hundreds of millions of people.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

The plague should not worry an antivaxer.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

AV'ers get pretty hysterical when it's their own kids that get sick.  I read an account of one on Bookface, and about 90% of the comments were like "You refused to vaccinate?  Then FU, don't come crying to us for sympathy.  You put ALL our kids at risk!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

How can I be an antivaxer if my son has been vaccinated?

Offline Wingnut

How can I be an antivaxer if my son has been vaccinated?

Is there a vax for the plague.

Offline RoosGirl

Is there a vax for the plague.

There is.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There is.

I'll bet you can't get one for your pup, even if you want it....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

According to University of Oslo biologist Nils Christian Stenseth no other documented disease outbreak comes close to the lethality of the Black Death, which killed off 50 percent of Europe's population at the time—hundreds of millions of people.

At a time when the entire world population was measured in hundreds of millions of people, I kind of doubt that 50 percent of Europe's population was measured in hundreds of millions of people.
-------------------------------
Observant and correct.
The appalling health conditions created by the Great War spawned the Influenza Epidemic
of 1918, which killed some 50 million people; 20% of Europe's surviving civilian population.
Is it not intuitive, that Europe's population in 1350, the era of the Bubonic Plague, was surely
NOT greater than 250 million???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:32:10 am by Absalom »

Offline Wingnut

There is.

The Plague hasn't been in Fl like forever.  We are safe. 

Offline RoosGirl

I'll bet you can't get one for your pup, even if you want it....

I bet I couldn't either.  I wouldn't want it.  Vaccines for bacteria generally have a very short length of time that they are effective.

My husband was born in 1973 and his mom fought to get him the small pox vax.

Offline Wingnut

My husband was born in 1973

Cradle robber.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I bet I couldn't either.  I wouldn't want it.  Vaccines for bacteria generally have a very short length of time that they are effective.

My husband was born in 1973 and his mom fought to get him the small pox vax.

Your husband's mom sounds pretty close to my age.  When we were kids, you either got the vaxes or you got to live in a shack out on the edge of town.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

Your husband's mom sounds pretty close to my age.  When we were kids, you either got the vaxes or you got to live in a shack out on the edge of town.

Are you saying we could be roos parents?  How bazaar.

Offline RoosGirl

Are you saying we could be roos parents?  How bazaar.

Don't hate just because I'm young and you aren't.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

In the late 70's George Burns did a song called "I Wish I Was 18 Again."  He was asked if he really did wish that, he said "Hell no!  I didn't know anything when I was 18."
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

In the late 70's George Burns did a song called "I Wish I Was 18 Again."  He was asked if he really did wish that, he said "Hell no!  I didn't know anything when I was 18."

Not 18, but I could go for 30.

Offline Wingnut

You are only as young as the woman you feel..

Offline RoosGirl

You are only as young as the woman you feel..

I'm not a lesbian, no matter what I said about visit to the ladies room.