Author Topic: Key GOP senator: Border wall talks are stalled  (Read 1217 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Key GOP senator: Border wall talks are stalled
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:44:51 pm »
Key GOP senator: Border wall talks are stalled
By Alexander Bolton - 02/10/19 09:49 AM EST

Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), a key negotiator on President Trump’s demand for a border wall, said on Sunday that congressional talks are stalled, raising the prospect of another government shutdown at week’s end.

“I think the talks are stalled right now. I’m hoping we can get off the dime later today or in the morning because time is ticking away but we’ve got some problems with the Democrats dealing with ICE, that is detaining criminals that come into the U.S. and they want a cap on them. We don’t want a cap on that,” Shelby said on “Fox News Sunday,” referring to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Democrats have told GOP negotiators that they won’t agree to spend more than $2 billion on border barriers, well below the $5.7 billion that Trump has called for.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/429308-shelby-border-wall-talks-are-stalled
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Key GOP senator: Border wall talks are stalled
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:45:36 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:47:48 pm »
If anyone thought we would get a honest shake out of that House of vipers I have some swampland next to my FL vacation home to sell you.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:07:27 pm »
Yes, I guess that is a sticking point.  Placing limits on law enforcement.  Should be no negotiation on whether ICE can do their job.  Not negotiable.  And we shouldn't be coming down on what we want for wall but demanding all of it.

According to some articles the President can get the money that hasn't been uses for what it was designated for. It's well beyond even what is needed to build the entire wall.  This excess money has been used by other presidents also and they say it would stand up to any court challenge.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:46:11 pm »
Border wall talks stall because of DEMS and the issues of ICE, but nothing is mentioned about the barrier.  So perhaps this is a good thing that talks have stalled.  I would hope before the gov't gets shut down again a bill will be sent to the Pres.  Best case scenario is that the President accepts whatever money is on the table and strikes the rest of the deal that the DEMS want and then later on announces a different plan for funding the barrier wall.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:30 pm »
Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

The Border Committee Democrats are behaving, all of a sudden, irrationally. Not only are they unwilling to give dollars for the obviously needed Wall (they overrode recommendations of Border Patrol experts), but they don’t even want to take muderers into custody! What’s going on?

1:54 PM - 10 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1094716135625424896

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:38 am »
There is no point in attempting to "negotiate" with the democrat-communists about this.

They -- the ENEMY -- have only one possible outcome to which they would ever "agree".

Ya'all know what that is.

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 12:17:39 am »
   What a CF.  If Trump signs the next appropriation, Friday without $5.7B for his wall the longest shut down in US History, was for naught. 
   The Great Negotiator label can finally be disposed of for all intents and purpose.   /JS
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 12:27:02 am »
   What a CF.  If Trump signs the next appropriation, Friday without $5.7B for his wall the longest shut down in US History, was for naught. 
   The Great Negotiator label can finally be disposed of for all intents and purpose.   /JS

Damn @corbe   You are a bit skwerly tonight.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:43 am »
Spending talks collapse over demand by Democrats to curb ICE detentions
Washington Examiner, Feb 10, 2019, Susan Ferrechio

Negotiations on a spending accord needed to avert a government shutdown Friday have nearly collapsed, and Republicans say it’s because House Democrats are pushing for new limits on how many illegal immigrants agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement can detain this fiscal year, including violent felons.

“Currently there is no cap,” a senior Republican aide close to the negotiations told the Washington Examiner. “They want to put in a cap and have criminals count against it so the number gets smaller and smaller.”

The impasse threatens to end any chance of a deal that can be passed in time by both the House and Senate.

“We would have to have something ready by tomorrow and at this point we won’t be ready,” a second GOP aide said.

A senior Democratic aide disputed the Republican position and said the vast majority of detainees are not felons. “What we are doing is trying to have a limit on the number of [detention] beds,” the Democratic aide told the Washington Examiner. “That’s about ensuring that the administration is prioritizing the deportation of violent criminals.”

Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Shelby, R-Ala., told "Fox News Sunday" the talks had stalled over Democrats demanding caps on ICE detentions. In order to detain illegal immigrants there must be a bed for them, and a cap on beds would limit the number of detentions.

More: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/spending-talks-collapse-over-demand-by-democrats-to-curb-ice-detentions

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 12:39:11 am »
   Granted @The Ghost when Ted Cruz shut the Gov down to stop obummercare, that didn't work either, unless you consider giving the Senate to Mitch McConnell in 2014 (besides the Judges, of course), a win. 
   The whole shutdown was kabuki and President Trump will prove that Friday night when he signs some BS and proclaims on twitter that he will never sign another one.
   He is not the Great negotiator that some here declare him to be, IMHO.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 02:46:08 am »
   Granted @The Ghost when Ted Cruz shut the Gov down to stop obummercare, that didn't work either, unless you consider giving the Senate to Mitch McConnell in 2014 (besides the Judges, of course), a win. 
   The whole shutdown was kabuki and President Trump will prove that Friday night when he signs some BS and proclaims on twitter that he will never sign another one.
   He is not the Great negotiator that some here declare him to be, IMHO.

Bzzzzz!  I seem to recall republicans doing very well in the election following that shutdown @corbe.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:13 am »
Bzzzzz!  I seem to recall republicans doing very well in the election following that shutdown @corbe.

That was my point @Bigun though I'm not sure Mitch was a Major upgrade from Reid/Schumer, other than the Judicial appointments which are beginning to bear fruit in some cases, Boehner already had the House.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:42 am »
   That was my point @Bigun though I'm not sure Mitch was a Major upgrade from Reid/Schumer, other than the Judicial appointments which are beginning to bear fruit in some cases, Boehner already had the House.

I see your point and agree with it. 

The damned swamp, and everyone in it, is aligned 100% with preservation of the swamp at any cost.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien