Cypress mulch
0 (0%)
Non Float mulch
1 (16.7%)
Stump mystery mulch.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 14, 2019, 02:00:30 am

Author Topic: A good mulch.  (Read 7330 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: A good mulch.
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 11:44:12 pm »
LOL  The point of it is to get them to walk on it before they come in the house to knock the sand off their feet.  Jesus H, has anyone been paying attention to what I've said.   :silly:

I have the exact same thing going on around the back of the house... An apron of 3/4 crushed shale. It is there for precisely the same reason. Chewy is never cut up by it - That is what I am telling you.

And that shale has been there for 5 years and some... still just fine, other than I should have used washed. But the outlying gravel is washed... just where the porch is going to go is crush... It's growing stuff now.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 11:48:22 pm »
Those big blocks we haven't really had trouble keeping in place.  It's all the smaller rock that they're supposed to be keeping in that has been disappearing.

The ground is actually swallowing the rocks?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2019, 11:50:10 pm »
I have the exact same thing going on around the back of the house... An apron of 3/4 crushed shale. It is there for precisely the same reason. Chewy is never cut up by it - That is what I am telling you.

And that shale has been there for 5 years and some... still just fine, other than I should have used washed. But the outlying gravel is washed... just where the porch is going to go is crush... It's growing stuff now.

Oh, I getcha.  I just checked prices on shale. Closest I can get is slate chips and it's $500 for 32 cu. ft. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2019, 11:54:00 pm »
Oh, I getcha.  I just checked prices on shale. Closest I can get is slate chips and it's $500 for 32 cu. ft.

That's crazy money. LOL! I never thought rocks could be valuable. All we got is rock around here. It's the dirt that costs the money

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2019, 11:54:08 pm »
Those big blocks we haven't really had trouble keeping in place.  It's all the smaller rock that they're supposed to be keeping in that has been disappearing.

Then try what @roamer_1 suggested upthread. Try an underlayment of plastic sheeting or landscaper's cloth. Blowing sand may defeat anything you try, though.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online rustynail

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 11:56:31 pm »
Democrats.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:01 am »
Democrats.

Too strong. They would poison the ground for years.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:25 am »
Then try what @roamer_1 suggested upthread. Try an underlayment of plastic sheeting or landscaper's cloth. Blowing sand may defeat anything you try, though.

Landscaping cloth is always better than visqueen- The material doesn't slide on it as easy, and it allows drainage through it... The only place I use visqueen at all is where I don't want water - Under decks for instance, or were I am actually creating a drainage to move water...

But none of it actually stops growth indefinitely. enough fines blow in to allow growth eventually. the choice then is to start spraying,  or clean out the bed and remove the fines.

Crushed gravel will grow grass and weeds almost right away within the media - so underlayment is moot under crush.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:28 am »

Yeah, that might be the next experiment whenever I work up the courage to fix it.... again.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2019, 12:07:15 am »
Landscaping cloth is always better than visqueen- The material doesn't slide on it as easy, and it allows drainage through it... The only place I use visqueen at all is where I don't want water - Under decks for instance, or were I am actually creating a drainage to move water...

But none of it actually stops growth indefinitely. enough fines blow in to allow growth eventually. the choice then is to start spraying,  or clean out the bed and remove the fines.

Crushed gravel will grow grass and weeds almost right away within the media - so underlayment is moot under crush.

Actually a bit of growth could help. A root system, even if dead, can work to help set the stones.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2019, 12:08:42 am »
Yeah, that might be the next experiment whenever I work up the courage to fix it.... again.

One of the things about living where winters are cold. Freeze/thaw pushes rocks out of the ground.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 12:17:07 am »
Actually a bit of growth could help. A root system, even if dead, can work to help set the stones.

In a high traffic area, nothing will help. That's why paths happen. Best you can do is an erose (irregular)  gravel, and if that ain't enough, set flagstone stepping stones or go to pavers. You can do alright setting a crushed gravel path through the high traffic area, leaving the rest washed decorative stone, but like I said, crush will grow things, and will require greater maintenance.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 12:37:21 am »

@RoosGirl's geological conditions are alien to us.  None of our usual rules apply with sand.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:06 am »
We're very sandy, almost like beach sand.  Supposedly this area was beach way back in the day when the sea levels were higher.  But, we grow a surprising number of weeds and grasses considering.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:02 am »
We're very sandy, almost like beach sand.  Supposedly this area was beach way back in the day when the sea levels were higher.  But, we grow a surprising number of weeds and grasses considering.

Sawgrass?
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 12:52:43 am »
Sawgrass?

I think sawgrass is more of a wetland plant.  We are excessively drained.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 12:56:06 am »
I think sawgrass is more of a wetland plant.  We are excessively drained.

Good.  I hated the feel of sawgrass (which is why it's called "sawgrass").  I'd still like to know exactly where your rock mulch is going.  If it's sinking onto the sand, you're pretty well screwed and need to find stuff that is cheap and easy to replace, because nothing is going to stay put.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 01:07:05 am »
LOL  The point of it is to get them to walk on it before they come in the house to knock the sand off their feet.  Jesus H, has anyone been paying attention to what I've said.   :silly:

That's a good idea.  I need to do that. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:32 am »
That's a good idea.  I need to do that.

You have sand on your feet?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:23 am »
You have sand on your feet?

Yes, my dogs bring it in. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 01:27:17 am »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 04:42:36 am »
That's Mrs. Liberty's favorite weeding accessory.  There is something satisfying about watching the wretched little weeds curl up and burst into flames.  I tried to tell her she doesn't have to actually ignite the weed to kill it, but what satisfaction can be derived from that? 

It's like not smashing a cockroach, instead hitting it hard enough to crawl off somewhere and croak.
Except for goatheads. Only way to get rid of that stuff is to burn it otherwise it will be back.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:34 am »
Except for goatheads. Only way to get rid of that stuff is to burn it otherwise it will be back.

I looked that up, it's a pest where I am.  Good advice, thanks!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »

I'm getting goats this year.  Apparently, they keep it eaten down so that the burrs can't form. We'll see.