Cypress mulch
0 (0%)
Non Float mulch
1 (16.7%)
Stump mystery mulch.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 14, 2019, 02:00:30 am

Author Topic: A good mulch.  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: A good mulch.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »
I personally wouldn't use anything with dye in it. The weather slowly washes it away. I'm no expert but I doubt that's good for your lawn.

I'm with you on this, @Dexter.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 09:54:22 pm »
Nope, WAY better buying by the yard, if you have a pickup truck.

At least a 3/4 ton pick um up.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 09:54:23 pm »
Like maters for instance.

Right, but most things don't like it acidic... The funny thing about the Back to Eden method - ph don't seem to matter.  :shrug:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 09:59:01 pm »
Well, the rocks you buy once...
But I did LOL at the cost of rock... I get rock between 3 and 7  bucks a YARD, depending on the type... but a 1" washed river rock, typical for ornamental plantings, would be around 3/yd.

A friend of my wife asked her one day where we got our river rock...

She told them Winston was a rock hound. (Best fishing buddy ever, too.)
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »
At least a 3/4 ton pick um up.

Well, yes - Depends on what and which... A half ton would take a yard of bark mulch. Might will take a yard of 3/4 crushed gravel... if it's an older truck from back when they meant it. I would not worry about a yard of gravel on the back of a 70's or 80's chevy 1/2T Heavy (6 hole)... But she'd be riding on the bumpers, for sure...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »
A friend of my wife asked her one day where we got our river rock...

She told them Winston was a rock hound. (Best fishing buddy ever, too.)

LOL! One piece at a time! Each a fishing trip souvenir... If you can fill a flowerbed that way, you've been busy fishing.

:beer:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 10:19:58 pm »
Well, the rocks you buy once...
But I did LOL at the cost of rock... I get rock between 3 and 7  bucks a YARD, depending on the type... but a 1" washed river rock, typical for ornamental plantings, would be around 3/yd.

You'd think you only buy rocks once, but I have an area out back just off the porch where the dogs travel to get out of and into the house.  I put rock out because it helps knock the sand off their feet and keep it out of the house.  We put a few inches down and put concrete block meant to edge landscape areas/retaining wall around the outside edge.  After a few years that rock is scattered around past that outside edge and we're down to bare dirt in some spots.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 10:27:01 pm »
You'd think you only buy rocks once, but I have an area out back just off the porch where the dogs travel to get out of and into the house.  I put rock out because it helps knock the sand off their feet and keep it out of the house.  We put a few inches down and put concrete block meant to edge landscape areas/retaining wall around the outside edge.  After a few years that rock is scattered around past that outside edge and we're down to bare dirt in some spots.

Absolutely correct, and I can't figure out how that gravel at my old house got intermingled.  Wind?  Heckuva windstorm.  The most a good Haboob can kick up is a lot of sub-micron dust.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:38 pm »
Absolutely correct, and I can't figure out how that gravel at my old house got intermingled.  Wind?  Heckuva windstorm.  The most a good Haboob can kick up is a lot of sub-micron dust.

Yeah, and with the money it cost us to put that rock down I'm hesitant to do it again.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:36 pm »
Yeah, and with the money it cost us to put that rock down I'm hesitant to do it again.

Use pavers next time?
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 10:45:00 pm »
Use pavers next time?

The porch is pavers, it just ends up covered up with sand.  I'm always trying to think up something that will work and it all does, for varying lengths of time but never permanently.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 10:52:42 pm »
The porch is pavers, it just ends up covered up with sand.  I'm always trying to think up something that will work and it all does, for varying lengths of time but never permanently.

Well, you could always pour some 'crete...

Nah.  Not even if you're covering it in astroturf.  N/M

:shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 10:54:59 pm »

:pondering: Confucius say:
Use bigger rocks.  :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 10:56:59 pm »

Depends upon the rock, too - All y'all are more likely to use lava rock, which degrades rather quickly... same with sandstone, etc.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »
Depends upon the rock, too - All y'all are more likely to use lava rock, which degrades rather quickly... same with sandstone, etc.

True about the material I had.  Sure ain't Granite.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 11:16:35 pm »
Mine was 1" - 3" river rock.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 11:20:27 pm »

Did you try any containment? Like railroad ties?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:12 pm »

I like 1" washed rock... I bedded a lot of beds in pea gravel, all the way to 3/4 washed... The stuff will not stay in the bed (even as you complain)... 2" starts to be hard to walk on... And I don't like the finished texture as well either (according to sight).

If you want it to stay put, use shale. It is irregular and sharp in shape, and binds like the dickens.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 11:27:38 pm »
Did you try any containment? Like railroad ties?

We used retaining wall blocks like this;

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:36 pm »
I like 1" washed rock... I bedded a lot of beds in pea gravel, all the way to 3/4 washed... The stuff will not stay in the bed (even as you complain)... 2" starts to be hard to walk on... And I don't like the finished texture as well either (according to sight).

If you want it to stay put, use shale. It is irregular and sharp in shape, and binds like the dickens.

I can't have anything sharp for the dogs to walk over.  Last thing I want to take care of are cut up pads.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 11:31:47 pm »
I can't have anything sharp for the dogs to walk over.  Last thing I want to take care of are cut up pads.

Nah. Dogs up here do fine with it... if it is sharp, they won't walk on it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 11:38:34 pm »
Nah. Dogs up here do fine with it... if it is sharp, they won't walk on it.

LOL  The point of it is to get them to walk on it before they come in the house to knock the sand off their feet.  Jesus H, has anyone been paying attention to what I've said.   :silly:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 11:39:27 pm »
We used retaining wall blocks like this;

Sand has some fluidity so I know how those would shift. A railroad tie can be staked in place, but still might not hold in sand over time. But they shouldn't shift as much as a rock.

If you can't get used ties maybe landscaping timbers would work. They are usually inexpensive. As is rebar for staking.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 11:42:05 pm »
I decided to just use Round-Up as often and liberally.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 11:42:35 pm »
Sand has some fluidity so I know how those would shift. A railroad tie can be staked in place, but still might not hold in sand over time. But they shouldn't shift as much as a rock.

If you can't get used ties maybe landscaping timbers would work. They are usually inexpensive. As is rebar for staking.

Those big blocks we haven't really had trouble keeping in place.  It's all the smaller rock that they're supposed to be keeping in that has been disappearing.