Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83245 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #650 on: July 24, 2019, 01:28:56 am »
Makes me wonder what brain they want to mimic?

If it is one of these---

---we are in deep doodoo...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #651 on: July 24, 2019, 02:09:54 am »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:10:58 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #652 on: July 24, 2019, 02:20:42 am »
LOL!  @bigheadfred!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #653 on: July 25, 2019, 02:06:49 am »
How A.I. Could Be Weaponized to Spread Disinformation

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc8O2Or8zjAhUBoZ4KHZaWBOIQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Finteractive%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2Ftechnology%2Fai-text-disinformation.html&usg=AOvVaw0eblyhz0ogAwiKT6_4rGtH

By CADE METZ and SCOTT BLUMENTHAL JUNE 7, 2019

In 2017, an online disinformation campaign spread against the “White Helmets,” claiming that the group of aid volunteers was serving as an arm of Western governments to sow unrest in Syria.

This false information was convincing. But the Russian organization behind the campaign ultimately gave itself away because it repeated the same text across many different fake news sites.

Now, researchers at the world’s top artificial intelligence labs are honing technology that can mimic how humans write, which could potentially help disinformation campaigns go undetected by generating huge amounts of subtly different messages.

One of the statements below is an example from the disinformation campaign. A.I. technology created the other. Guess which one is A.I.:

The White Helmets alleged involvement in organ, child trafficking and staged events in Syria.

The White Helmets secretly videotaped the execution of a man and his 3 year old daughter in Aleppo, Syria.

Tech giants like Facebook and governments around the world are struggling to deal with disinformation, from misleading posts about vaccines to incitement of sectarian violence. As artificial intelligence becomes more powerful, experts worry that disinformation generated by A.I. could make an already complex problem bigger and even more difficult to solve.

In recent months, two prominent labs — OpenAI in San Francisco and the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence in Seattle — have built particularly powerful examples of this technology. Both have warned that it could become increasingly dangerous.
Does this mean the writers at AP would lose their jobs?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #654 on: July 25, 2019, 02:09:27 am »
Makes me wonder what brain they want to mimic?

If it is one of these---

---we are in deep doodoo...
Those parrots have someone else teaching them what to say.

I think they are after Artificial intelligence, after all. (the new Tower of Babel).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #655 on: July 25, 2019, 02:15:07 am »
Does this mean the writers at AP would lose their jobs?

If you have any questions about whether or not this is already being used, go watch this short video:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154086058918916097

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #656 on: July 25, 2019, 02:18:11 am »
If you have any questions about whether or not this is already being used, go watch this short video:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154086058918916097
Even before I watch it, and I will, I long ago noticed the homogeneity in buzzwords and story phrases that popped up in the MSM stories, whether on TV, radio, or in print, and how they appeared suddenly, all over the media spectrum within the same news cycle. That takes either coordination, central planning, or press releases and people not adept enough to put things in their own words.

Edit: After seeing the video, yep.  Now, what I noticed is that the same effect has been present since 'W' was POTUS, and it has been used to praise as well as defame. In short, all the MSM news is from the same machine, be it AI or not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:23:32 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #657 on: July 25, 2019, 02:23:11 am »
Even before I watch it, and I will, I long ago noticed the homogeneity in buzzwords and story phrases that popped up in the MSM stories, whether on TV, radio, or in print, and how they appeared suddenly, all over the media spectrum within the same news cycle. That takes either coordination, central planning, or press releases and people not adept enough to put things in their own words.

AP's been writing the stories since Hector was a pup.
The only way that matters is if you believe em, which I certainly don't.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #658 on: July 25, 2019, 02:24:44 am »
AP's been writing the stories since Hector was a pup.
The only way that matters is if you believe em, which I certainly don't.
Well, I recall UPI, too, but when I see the AP byline, I can save time, because if you've read one, you've read them all.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #659 on: July 25, 2019, 02:47:17 am »
Well, I recall UPI, too, but when I see the AP byline, I can save time, because if you've read one, you've read them all.
@roamer_1  @Sanguine

… We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #660 on: July 25, 2019, 02:53:40 am »

Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye [/i][/b]

@bigheadfred

Dirty Laundry.
Get Over It

:beer:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #661 on: July 25, 2019, 02:55:17 am »
@roamer_1  @Sanguine

Who comes on at five

Dirty Laundry

Should be followed with Money for nothing

Between the two, it pretty much sums up the evening news.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #662 on: July 25, 2019, 02:59:15 am »
@roamer_1  @Sanguine

Who comes on at five

Yep. 

One word that really shows it is "horrific".  I can't remember the story from maybe 10 years ago, but suddenly it was the word to use.   Used to be "horrible", but the hive mind liked "horrific" suddenly and now everything is horrific.  It was amazing to watch.

Sort of like when I was a kid I remember the sudden, universal shift from que-pon to koo-pon (coupon).  Hive minds.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #663 on: July 25, 2019, 03:10:50 am »
Yep. 

One word that really shows it is "horrific".  I can't remember the story from maybe 10 years ago, but suddenly it was the word to use.   Used to be "horrible", but the hive mind liked "horrific" suddenly and now everything is horrific.  It was amazing to watch.

Sort of like when I was a kid I remember the sudden, universal shift from que-pon to koo-pon (coupon).  Hive minds.
The change in emphasis in "harassment", and maybe all my science teachers had mispronounced "Uranus" (your-anus changed to to urine-us), but that pronunciation changed, too.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #664 on: July 25, 2019, 12:47:19 pm »

Edit: After seeing the video, yep.  Now, what I noticed is that the same effect has been present since 'W' was POTUS, and it has been used to praise as well as defame. In short, all the MSM news is from the same machine, be it AI or not.

I remember when Dick Cheney was first suggested for V.P.  Every news/opinion pieces or broadcast used "gravitas" in their description of him.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #665 on: July 25, 2019, 01:23:07 pm »
I remember when Dick Cheney was first suggested for V.P.  Every news/opinion pieces or broadcast used "gravitas" in their description of him.

Yes!  That was another one.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #666 on: July 25, 2019, 10:40:13 pm »
As if it makes me miss Valley Girl speak. Like I totally liked tripendicular, like it was so seriesly bitchin' tripendicular.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #667 on: July 25, 2019, 11:10:42 pm »
Those parrots have someone else teaching them what to say.

I think they are after Artificial intelligence, after all. (the new Tower of Babel).

What they are after is the WORD.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,350928.msg2013692.html#msg2013692

Of all the things sade there only is that .

Speak it.

Of all the things said there only is that,

Speak it.

I do. Every day. And there is a butterfly. No. There isn't any reply. They can't.

They can't speak the Word.

What I meant in this post was what they are reaching for, building, is the 'tower' of knowledge that will enable them to break straight through the sky.

There will be nothing they cannot achieve, or do, if they accomplish this.

I don't speak the Word. In the speech sense. I speak the Word in the Name of Jesus Christ.

I have tried to keep the religion aspect from this thread. But it is EXACTLY that.

And there will soon come a point when you have to choose.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #668 on: July 29, 2019, 11:04:43 pm »
AI is getting more in touch with your emotions

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBvpO_ntvjAhXVs54KHTaBA2YQFjABegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fnews%2Fai-is-getting-more-in-touch-with-your-emotions%2F&usg=AOvVaw2vjnx4EoS1MRk1sCt_sbrr

EmoNet, a neural network model, was accurately able to pair images to 11 emotion categories.

By
    Dhara Singh

July 29, 2019 11:58 AM PDT

Artificial intelligence might one day start communicating our emotions better than we do. EmoNet, neural network model developed by researchers at the University of Colorado and Duke University, was accurately able to classify images into 11 different emotion categories.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #669 on: July 29, 2019, 11:08:25 pm »
I don't want to get in touch with my emotions.    **nononono*

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #670 on: July 29, 2019, 11:24:41 pm »
I don't want to get in touch with my emotions.    **nononono*

I know, right?

The only thing I want a robot to "feel' is a hammer to the head.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #671 on: July 29, 2019, 11:31:16 pm »
I know, right?

The only thing I want a robot to "feel' is a hammer to the head.

In the end, it is a machine. Unplug it, and it will harm no one.

Transhumanism - in the vein of melding man and machine is another thing altogether.
As is the other transhumanism - messin with the genes...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #672 on: July 29, 2019, 11:38:10 pm »

Transhumanism - in the vein of melding man and machine is another thing altogether.

I think the problems will arise long before any genes are messed with.  AI threatens to create dependencies, like my cell phone has.  It remembers every number that's called me.  I used to memorize or write down phone numbers, now sometimes I can't remember my own.  I had the cell for better than 20 years before I memorized its number...mainly because I never gave it out to anybody.

I still get calls on it asking me if I want to extend my auto's warranty.  :shrug:  When I'm sporting, I ask them if they can extend my car's 10-year warranty on my HEV battery for the hybrid drive.  {click!}
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #673 on: July 29, 2019, 11:56:20 pm »

Both are happening now. They were forecasting the Singularity for about the year 2050. Some are saying much earlier.

A couple of those earlier articles I posted. If they can keep the hardware up to the software they will hit it earlier than the Futurists and other experts in the field have predicted.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #674 on: July 30, 2019, 12:00:27 am »
The Transhuman Transition – Lotus Eaters vs World Eaters

https://danfaggella.com/the-transhuman-transition-lotus-eaters-vs-world-eaters/

Controlling Intelligent Substrate, Creating or Enhancing Consciousness, Digitized and Digested, Exploring the End Game, Facilitating Post-human Transition Collaboration, Managing the Transhuman Transition, Transhuman Transition

Human nature has always been to gain control over the physical world — both in maximizing its output for our benefit (farming, mining, etc), and in lessening the risks it poses to human life and wellbeing (medicine, construction, etc). This same drive for control compels us to manipulate the virtual world, with the emergence of a triad of technologies that have the potential to profoundly transform the human experience into something unimaginably different from what it is today.

/snip/

Pleasure (“The Lotus Eaters”)
lotus eaters

Odysseus and his companions in the land of the blissful and care-free lotus eaters. From Homer’s Odyssey. Source

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” – Aristotle

I posit that a large segment of humanity will adopt transhuman technologies in order to escape from pain, and experience more pleasure.

I argue that this is an attempt (maybe one that can be successful, who knows), to escape the intense Darwinian competition and combat inherent in being alive by leaving it behind.

People with this motive might be referred to as “lotus eaters”, after the blissful and lethargic people in Homer’s Odyssey – who live off of narcotic lotuses on a secluded island.

/snip/

Power (“The World Eaters”)

“World eaters,” in contrast with “lotus eaters,” will sacrifice their human condition entirely in an attempt to be as productive, powerful, or influential as possible. This image is taken from a painting of Caesar’s crossing of the Rubicon – a symbolic act of risking everything in the pursuit of control and power. Source: Wikipedia

“If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.” – Gaius Julius Caesar

I posit that a large segment of humanity will adopt transhuman technologies in order to gain control, power, and prestige.

I argue that this is an attempt to engage fully in the intense Darwinian competition of life – in an attempt to achieve security and/or prominence through dominance.

Almost unlimited power will be afforded to the person or group who controls the physical computers which house (a) the great artificial intelligence powers, and (b) the sentient and virtual experiences of people and AI agents. I am of the belief that in the coming century, almost all economic competition, political competition, and war will ultimately be a proxy for obtaining this pinnacle of technological control and power.

Indeed that quote from Caesar alludes to this very dynamic. The ultimate (in the literal sense) race for power will not be for market supremacy or the leadership of a nation, but for the dominance over all of intelligence itself – truly God-like power.

I’ve chosen to refer to people bent on the power motive as “world eaters” – as a direct contrast to pleasure-driven “lotus eaters.”