Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82873 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #625 on: July 17, 2019, 12:48:13 am »
@Cyber Liberty

There is a GREAT deal of truth in that one!

Maybe even a kernel.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #626 on: July 17, 2019, 12:50:35 am »
Maybe even a kernel.

major to kernal generally speaking of private matters

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #627 on: July 17, 2019, 02:29:05 am »
@roamer_1

Believe it or not,I am in complete agreement with you on this. Casual dating is one thing,but once you agree to live together or get married,you have made both real and implies promises,and promises are meant to be kept if you want to maintain your self-respect. If you can't get along with her or she starts playing that "no sex for you because you won't buy me a new whatever" game,tell her to clean her act up or hit the road,but don't start shopping around for a replacement while she is still there. Not if you want to keep your self-respect.

What she does is on her. If you catch her cheating,toss her ass out in the yard and be done with it so you can move on and find something real. If you have no self-respect for yourself,you can't expect her to respect you,and visa versa.

If you can't be honest on the family level,you have no honesty and you have no family. You are a shell of a human passing yourself off as a man. Or woman,as the case may be.
I am in solid agreement with all of that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #628 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:10 am »
 :tongue2:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #629 on: July 20, 2019, 09:23:44 am »
Of all the things sade there only is that .

Speak it.

Of all the things said there only is that,

Speak it.

I do. Every day. Anf there is a butterfly. No. There isn't any reply. They can't.

They can't speak the Word
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:32:30 am by bigheadfred »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #630 on: July 22, 2019, 11:00:08 am »
Watch Elon Musk's Neuralink presentation - YouTube

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #631 on: July 22, 2019, 11:03:02 am »
 https://www.thedailybeast.com/elon-musk-unveils-neuralink-brain-computer-interface-wants-to-have-human-trials-in-2020

Elon Musk Wants To Connect Human Brains Directly To Computers Next Year

You need Elon Musk’s new invention like you need a hole in your head.

Late Tuesday night, the Tesla and SpaceX founder unwrapped new details on work that would allow humans to transmit data straight from their brains to their computers. Musk’s project, called Neuralink, plans to start clinical trials in humans by the end of 2020.

The humans who choose to embed Neuralink wires in their brains next year should expect to have four small holes drilled into their head. Neuralink will thread wires into the brain and patch the skull holes with a computer chip, which can connect wirelessly to an iPhone app. The company touted its innovation around those threads as a big breakthrough toward a functional brain-computer interface.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #632 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:41 am »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/elon-musk-unveils-neuralink-brain-computer-interface-wants-to-have-human-trials-in-2020

Elon Musk Wants To Connect Human Brains Directly To Computers Next Year

You need Elon Musk’s new invention like you need a hole in your head.

Late Tuesday night, the Tesla and SpaceX founder unwrapped new details on work that would allow humans to transmit data straight from their brains to their computers. Musk’s project, called Neuralink, plans to start clinical trials in humans by the end of 2020.

The humans who choose to embed Neuralink wires in their brains next year should expect to have four small holes drilled into their head. Neuralink will thread wires into the brain and patch the skull holes with a computer chip, which can connect wirelessly to an iPhone app. The company touted its innovation around those threads as a big breakthrough toward a functional brain-computer interface.

@bigheadfred

What could possibly go wrong with a plan like that?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #633 on: July 22, 2019, 12:26:18 pm »
@bigheadfred

What could possibly go wrong with a plan like that?

There are millions of people out there with a lot of empty space in their heads. They could turn zombies into--zombies.

Think of the fun you could have if you were walking down the street one day and everybody stops and stares at you...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #634 on: July 22, 2019, 10:22:49 pm »
There are millions of people out there with a lot of empty space in their heads. They could turn zombies into--zombies.

Think of the fun you could have if you were walking down the street one day and everybody stops and stares at you...
Actually, I was thinking what an EMP could do for the unenhanced folks who refused to get wired in...something like the ending of Surrogates....only it wouldn't be machines laying on the sidewalk.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #635 on: July 22, 2019, 10:44:17 pm »
Actually, I was thinking what an EMP could do for the unenhanced folks who refused to get wired in...something like the ending of Surrogates....only it wouldn't be machines laying on the sidewalk.

There may be something to that in the prophecy, @Smokin Joe ... About the low being made high, and the high being brought low...

Nothing says low like a hillbilly growing his own way up in the sticks...
And an EMP would do little or nothing to him... He might not even know it happened...
But he's a prince next time he gets to town, because folks would need to know what he knows if they are going to survive at all.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #636 on: July 22, 2019, 10:57:56 pm »
There may be something to that in the prophecy, @Smokin Joe ... About the low being made high, and the high being brought low...

Nothing says low like a hillbilly growing his own way up in the sticks...
And an EMP would do little or nothing to him... He might not even know it happened...
But he's a prince next time he gets to town, because folks would need to know what he knows if they are going to survive at all.
It isn't just that @roamer_1 , it's the idea that if you have your brain wired to control other, outside objects, the neural centers tapped to control those objects would be vulnerable to severe electrical discharges, or even induced current during an EMP. In short, those centers could be fried as a result of being wired in if an EMP were to occur. I would think proximity to any fast changing magnetic field would cause problems, too.

So, the high and mighty could participate in a group zot that would reduce them to slackjawed droolers in a millesecond.

That's not to mention the lack of inherent ability to operate their world on 'manual' even if they weren't debilitated otherwise.

I've noticed kids who were raised with a dishwasher (not as the dishwasher, if you get my drift), don't have a clue how to wash dishes in a sink. That not only dooms them to cases of acute gastroenteritis and the screaming yellow zonkers, but is indicative of how fundamentally reliant they are on technology.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #637 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:46 pm »

"In a land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King,"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #638 on: July 22, 2019, 11:35:35 pm »
It isn't just that @roamer_1 , it's the idea that if you have your brain wired to control other, outside objects, the neural centers tapped to control those objects would be vulnerable to severe electrical discharges, or even induced current during an EMP. In short, those centers could be fried as a result of being wired in if an EMP were to occur. I would think proximity to any fast changing magnetic field would cause problems, too.

So, the high and mighty could participate in a group zot that would reduce them to slackjawed droolers in a millesecond.

@Smokin Joe
Hold on now... you're talking about implants and such, right? Not natural 'wiring'... synapses and such?

That's not to mention the lack of inherent ability to operate their world on 'manual' even if they weren't debilitated otherwise.

I've noticed kids who were raised with a dishwasher (not as the dishwasher, if you get my drift), don't have a clue how to wash dishes in a sink. That not only dooms them to cases of acute gastroenteritis and the screaming yellow zonkers, but is indicative of how fundamentally reliant they are on technology.

I heard that. My elder boy is goin all suburban... WON'T bring his kids out to the ranch to do chores, which my mother would greatly appreciate, and what would do them kids more good than anything in the world... What an awful mistake, I think.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:36:56 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #639 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:53 am »

First "real" book I ever read.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #640 on: July 23, 2019, 12:25:20 am »
@Smokin Joe
Hold on now... you're talking about implants and such, right? Not natural 'wiring'... synapses and such?
Yep. I see that as the next step.
I heard that. My elder boy is goin all suburban... WON'T bring his kids out to the ranch to do chores, which my mother would greatly appreciate, and what would do them kids more good than anything in the world... What an awful mistake, I think.
It's funny how people whine about kids not having a 'work ethic', and then won't let them do anything until they are 16 or 18.
We were driving tractor well before ten, (If you weren't, your friends wondered what was wrong with you), often took our own boats out fishing (I found three by the time I was out of high school, two wooden skiffs and one jon boat, put the ads in the papers of record (both counties) and they weren't claimed, kept one, sold one, and gave the first skiff to my grand father), and generally were pretty competent at most anything that might come up. I was a full fledged volunteer fireman and had completed my EMT by my 18th birthday.
Kids nowadays don't have those skill sets, except in rare instances. and now, by the time kids can get into it, they are into something else, for the most part.  I think that's a big mistake. You learn to love work young, the feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of self-reliance, and the lack of fear that brings are good for any kid.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #641 on: July 23, 2019, 12:59:00 am »
@Smokin Joe

@roamer_1

I am in 100 percent agreement with the basic assumption that manual labor is very definitely a GOOD thing for both children and adults. Not as a way of life,mind you. Manual laborers are one step away from welfare and AFDC all their lives,but teach a child the value of "sweat equity" when it comes to building something,and it is a lesson he or she will remember with fondness all their lives. It's creation on a personal level,and the natural "chemical rush" you get when the job is complete and done right,combined with how your appetite makes the food taste better and makes you sleep better,is something beyond monetary value.

Yeah,city people get "sweat equity" in their high-tech gyms,but at the end of the day all they have is sweaty clothes to show for their efforts. Compared to painting a house or building a fence,that is nothing.

PLUS,jobs like that allow the adults to interact with the children to teach them how to operate tools,plan jobs,and build things. You will NEVER get that at a gym.

Just make sure you confiscate their I-Pods when they show up,or the little bastids will disappear on you.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #642 on: July 23, 2019, 01:01:04 am »

Kids nowadays don't have those skill sets, except in rare instances. and now, by the time kids can get into it, they are into something else, for the most part.  I think that's a big mistake. You learn to love work young, the feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of self-reliance, and the lack of fear that brings are good for any kid.

@Smokin Joe

Seems like the Boy Scouts are useless now as anything other than a social club.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #643 on: July 23, 2019, 01:45:39 am »
@roamer_1

I am in 100 percent agreement with the basic assumption that manual labor is very definitely a GOOD thing for both children and adults. Not as a way of life,mind you. Manual laborers are one step away from welfare and AFDC all their lives,but teach a child the value of "sweat equity" when it comes to building something,and it is a lesson he or she will remember with fondness all their lives. It's creation on a personal level,and the natural "chemical rush" you get when the job is complete and done right,combined with how your appetite makes the food taste better and makes you sleep better,is something beyond monetary value.

Yeah,city people get "sweat equity" in their high-tech gyms,but at the end of the day all they have is sweaty clothes to show for their efforts. Compared to painting a house or building a fence,that is nothing.

PLUS,jobs like that allow the adults to interact with the children to teach them how to operate tools,plan jobs,and build things. You will NEVER get that at a gym.

Just make sure you confiscate their I-Pods when they show up,or the little bastids will disappear on you.

That's all right, @sneakypete
But there is something more than just learning the value of work - I mean there is something more than that on the farm. Something intrinsic to life... The interaction with critters, understanding how they are, understanding that your food means one of them has to die. Having the responsibility to make sure they have food and water, or they die.

It is something visceral, something deeply real... I can't explain it.

I would submit that every person should have to spend time on a farm, spend time in MIL or LE, and spend time in some sort of church or community outreach toward the sick or poor...

It is important to know the bloody end of the knife, as it were, and the need for mercy when it is due. Things I cannot understand how a hoomin bean can be called fully equipped without.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #644 on: July 23, 2019, 01:53:37 am »
Yep. I see that as the next step.

@Smokin Joe
Ah.... yep. I see where you are going.

It's funny how people whine about kids not having a 'work ethic', and then won't let them do anything until they are 16 or 18.
We were driving tractor well before ten, (If you weren't, your friends wondered what was wrong with you), often took our own boats out fishing (I found three by the time I was out of high school, two wooden skiffs and one jon boat, put the ads in the papers of record (both counties) and they weren't claimed, kept one, sold one, and gave the first skiff to my grand father), and generally were pretty competent at most anything that might come up. I was a full fledged volunteer fireman and had completed my EMT by my 18th birthday.

Yep. That's all right. Me too - I came late to the west. About 6th grade. Quite a difference coming from urban Chicago. In one summer I went from knowing nothing much to caring for chickens, cows, and horses, driving tractors and pickups and hay trucks... backing up trailers... learned how to shoot and trap as well as my friends in the course of a year or so... And knocked my first deer in the noggin the next season. And always chores. Just part of living.

It was a helluva learning curve, but the trade off, I soon found, was liberty... Responsibility leads to liberty... And once found, liberty is not something one gives up.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #645 on: July 23, 2019, 02:01:47 am »

Yeah, it would still be machines laying on the sidewalk.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #646 on: July 23, 2019, 02:14:14 am »

First "real" book I ever read.

I've read most of his books. But I don't recall that one. Have to look it up on Kindle.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #647 on: July 23, 2019, 02:53:56 am »
@Smokin Joe
Ah.... yep. I see where you are going.

Yep. That's all right. Me too - I came late to the west. About 6th grade. Quite a difference coming from urban Chicago. In one summer I went from knowing nothing much to caring for chickens, cows, and horses, driving tractors and pickups and hay trucks... backing up trailers... learned how to shoot and trap as well as my friends in the course of a year or so... And knocked my first deer in the noggin the next season. And always chores. Just part of living.

It was a helluva learning curve, but the trade off, I soon found, was liberty... Responsibility leads to liberty... And once found, liberty is not something one gives up.

Most people don't and won't ever understand that.  They'll be lining up and waiting days in advance to get augmentations.

But this has been talked about before. You are only going to get the quality of tech that you can afford.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #648 on: July 24, 2019, 01:07:52 am »
With $1 Billion From Microsoft, an A.I. Lab Wants to Mimic the Brain

By Cade Metz

July 22, 2019

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwibltHzrszjAhUBoZ4KHZaWBOIQFjADegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2019%2F07%2F22%2Ftechnology%2Fopen-ai-microsoft.html&usg=AOvVaw084zPzE_1iQkMika0ZsIrw

SAN FRANCISCO — As the waitress approached the table, Sam Altman held up his phone. That made it easier to see the dollar amount typed into an investment contract he had spent the last 30 days negotiating with Microsoft.

“$1,000,000,000,” it read.

The investment from Microsoft, signed early this month and announced on Monday, signals a new direction for Mr. Altman’s research lab.

In March, Mr. Altman stepped down from his daily duties as the head of Y Combinator, the start-up “accelerator” that catapulted him into the Silicon Valley elite. Now, at 34, he is the chief executive of OpenAI, the artificial intelligence lab he helped create in 2015 with Elon Musk, the billionaire chief executive of the electric carmaker Tesla.

Mr. Musk left the lab last year to concentrate on his own A.I. ambitions at Tesla. Since then, Mr. Altman has remade OpenAI, founded as a nonprofit, into a for-profit company so it could more aggressively pursue financing. Now he has landed a marquee investor to help it chase an outrageously lofty goal.
Interested in All Things Tech?

The Bits newsletter will keep you updated on the latest from Silicon Valley and the technology industry.

He and his team of researchers hope to build artificial general intelligence, or A.G.I., a machine that can do anything the human brain can do.

A.G.I. still has a whiff of science fiction. But in their agreement, Microsoft and OpenAI discuss the possibility with the same matter-of-fact language they might apply to any other technology they hope to build, whether it’s a cloud-computing service or a new kind of robotic arm.

“My goal in running OpenAI is to successfully create broadly beneficial A.G.I.,” Mr. Altman said in a recent interview. “And this partnership is the most important milestone so far on that path.”

In recent years, a small but fervent community of artificial intelligence researchers have set their sights on A.G.I., and they are backed by some of the wealthiest companies in the world. DeepMind, a top lab owned by Google’s parent company, says it is chasing the same goal.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #649 on: July 24, 2019, 01:13:45 am »
How A.I. Could Be Weaponized to Spread Disinformation

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc8O2Or8zjAhUBoZ4KHZaWBOIQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Finteractive%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2Ftechnology%2Fai-text-disinformation.html&usg=AOvVaw0eblyhz0ogAwiKT6_4rGtH

By CADE METZ and SCOTT BLUMENTHAL JUNE 7, 2019

In 2017, an online disinformation campaign spread against the “White Helmets,” claiming that the group of aid volunteers was serving as an arm of Western governments to sow unrest in Syria.

This false information was convincing. But the Russian organization behind the campaign ultimately gave itself away because it repeated the same text across many different fake news sites.

Now, researchers at the world’s top artificial intelligence labs are honing technology that can mimic how humans write, which could potentially help disinformation campaigns go undetected by generating huge amounts of subtly different messages.

One of the statements below is an example from the disinformation campaign. A.I. technology created the other. Guess which one is A.I.:

The White Helmets alleged involvement in organ, child trafficking and staged events in Syria.

The White Helmets secretly videotaped the execution of a man and his 3 year old daughter in Aleppo, Syria.

Tech giants like Facebook and governments around the world are struggling to deal with disinformation, from misleading posts about vaccines to incitement of sectarian violence. As artificial intelligence becomes more powerful, experts worry that disinformation generated by A.I. could make an already complex problem bigger and even more difficult to solve.

In recent months, two prominent labs — OpenAI in San Francisco and the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence in Seattle — have built particularly powerful examples of this technology. Both have warned that it could become increasingly dangerous.