Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82834 times)

Bill Cipher

Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2019, 02:07:59 am »
Ok, stupid little anecdote time:  I was in a stop and shop grocery store the other day and almost bumped into a new robot they had wandering the store using “big data” analyses to look for spills and messes in the aisles.  I have to say that, even though I’m not a Luddite and generally like tech, it creeped me out a bit having the thing wandering around.  In particular, it would stop and start, giving one the impression that at any moment it might lunge at you if it determined that you were on top of a mess in the aisle. 

It weirded me out a bit, despite myself.  I’d rather have people periodically wandering the aisles looking for messes to clean up. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2019, 02:11:01 am »
Ok, stupid little anecdote time:  I was in a stop and shop grocery store the other day and almost bumped into a new robot they had wandering the store using “big data” analyses to look for spills and messes in the aisles.  I have to say that, even though I’m not a Luddite and generally like tech, it creeped me out a bit having the thing wandering around.  In particular, it would stop and start, giving one the impression that at any moment it might lunge at you if it determined that you were on top of a mess in the aisle. 

It weirded me out a bit, despite myself.  I’d rather have people periodically wandering the aisles looking for messes to clean up.

I am a Luddite. Thanks for your reply. A couple of pages back I posted an article or two that dealt with the "ceepiness" of robots.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Bill Cipher

« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2019, 02:18:04 am »
@Bill Cipher

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,350928.msg2005777.html#msg2005777

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,350928.msg2005781.html#msg2005781

Yeah, it was weird like that.  The robot wasn’t even vaguely human-shaped, but it was moving around in ways that were unsettling, particularly, I think, since there was no way to gauge what it was likely to do when it was nearby.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2019, 02:20:30 am »
Yeah, it was weird like that.  The robot wasn’t even vaguely human-shaped, but it was moving around in ways that were unsettling, particularly, I think, since there was no way to gauge what it was likely to do when it was nearby.

Some of these scary movies they have out. They do sped up movements and start stop things with the monster that creep me out.

Robots do the same thing to me. 

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #605 on: July 16, 2019, 02:40:52 am »

@Bill Cipher

Me,too. ESPECIALLY since those "wander around to look for messes to clean up" jobs used to be called "starting positions". People like high school children who had never had a job could apply for and get one at minimum wage while having the luxury of having their parents pay their bills while they are learning about responsibility and what it takes to hold a job.

Not to mention when illiterate,uneducated,or handi-caped/old people that have no choice but to take those jobs have to deal with on a daily basis,so that when they are rolling in riches and shopping in stores,they can show those people a little compassion and consideration,

Jobs like that tend to make people more human later in life.

What do we get out of those freaking robots???

Just call me a Luddite if you want. I can handle it,and in cases like this,wear the badge with pride.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #606 on: July 16, 2019, 02:42:40 am »
I am a Luddite. Thanks for your reply. A couple of pages back I posted an article or two that dealt with the "ceepiness" of robots.

@bigheadfred

DAYUM,fred! There are two of us here!

I would say I am proudly going backwards,but with public discussions of sex being what they are today,don't like the implications that might give some people.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #607 on: July 16, 2019, 02:45:44 am »

@Bill Cipher

Stores have so many cameras these days it is dangerous to take direct action,so you should consider indirect action. Next time you are there and the robot is creeping you out,announce in a VERY loud voice "This robot is creeping me out! Does it bother anyone else?"  If you can get a bunch of other people to complain and maybe sign a petition,you MIGHT be able to get the store owner to toss it and bring back the kid with pimples.

It's worth a try,anyway.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2019, 02:55:59 am »
@bigheadfred

I would say I am proudly going backwards,but with public discussions of sex being what they are today,don't like the implications that might give some people.

Screw 'em.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2019, 03:00:56 am »
@bigheadfred

Make that three.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #611 on: July 16, 2019, 07:25:28 am »
I actually had two girlfriends that chewed. My biggest complaint, in both cases, was getting in my freezer and 'sharing' from my rolls. I keep a fair supply laying around... Always have. I do not like being jittery driving into town for a can at 2 in the morning. In both cases, eventually, that's exactly what happened.

The thing is, only the one of em chewed Cope. The other did Skoal with cherry liquor added in.

Kinda like women 'sharing' off my plate - I think they do that as an exercise to prove trust.
There are better ways to do that, I would tell em, picking bit's of their hand from between my teeth...
My, my, you are extreme. Just fork 'em. :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #612 on: July 16, 2019, 07:33:21 am »
Make that three.
I'm not exactly a Luddite, let's just say I am slow to embrace (or trust) the latest widgets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #613 on: July 16, 2019, 12:16:34 pm »
a
Kinda like women 'sharing' off my plate - I think they do that as an exercise to prove trust.

@roamer_1

Naw,they do that to show you who is boss. They want you to see them as the power figure your mother was when you were a child. Actually,when it comes to stuff like this,they ain't actually doing ANY thinking. It's party a genetic survival trait that has been around as long as there has been men and women,since it also serves to make you as protective of them as you are your own mother. Women you are sleeping with can be given the boot with no thought the instant a prettier one comes along,but it's hard to give the boot to a woman who is part mother in your sub-conscious.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #614 on: July 16, 2019, 12:23:11 pm »
I'm not exactly a Luddite, let's just say I am slow to embrace (or trust) the latest widgets.

@Smokin Joe

I have,and normally drive my modern 4x4 pu these days because I have been having health and strength/mobility issues,and it has ps,auto trans,and air-conditioning.

If my health were better,my normal daily ride would be my flathead 6 cylinder 1951 Ford business coupe. The modern pu is nice and comfortable,but it doesn't make me smile while driving down the road and it doesn't make me want to do a little "happy dance" when I walk out of the house and see it parked in the yard.

I recently found and bought a finned aluminum Knudsen high-compression head for it (ALMOST akin to finding a needle in a haystack these days) ,with the matching 3 carb intake. I already had 3 glass bowl Holley 1brl carbs for it. Took me over 3 years to find a head for sale,and this was with haunting the old race car,junk yards,and parts suppliers on a daily basis. Ironically enough,I found it on ebay,and immediately hit the buy it now button.

I had no trouble at all finding brand new high-compression heads for the 251 DeSoto flathead 6 engine I am putting in my 33 Dodge 4dr sedan,or the 230 engine in my 42 Dodge business coupe. You can buy them any day of the week by just picking up a phone. Everybody that bought a old Ford to hot rod back in the 50's bought one with a flathead V-8,though. Flathead V-8 high performance and dress up parts are as easy to find as it is finding that stuff for small block chevy's. Most people didn't even know that Ford HAD a flathead 6 as standard in some year cars,and had never heard of or seen one. Ironically enough,the flat 6 with a 1brl carb on the stock engine had more torque than the V-8,and would turn faster times in a drag race. The flathead V-8 with the stock 2brl carb only had 10 more hp than the single carb flat 6. Put a 2x1 or 3x1 intake on a flat 6,and it suddenly had more torque AND more horsepower than the V-8.

The flat 6 Fords were more popular for boat racing than the V-8's,though. Clay Smith was a 17 year old kid working in his father's machine shop when Henry Ford attended a race back in 47 or 48,and thought the kids boat seemed to be turning up a lot of RPM's,so he wandered down to the shore to talk with him about it. Come to find out this 17 year old had a flathead 6 Ford engine turning up 7,000 RPM,and not exploding. Ford asked him how he did this,the kid told him,and Ford gave him a consulting contract with Ford on the spot,sealed with a handshake. That was how the Clay Smith Camshaft Company came about. Henry Ford was so smart he realized he not only didn't know everything,but he even knew there were people out there smarter than him,and that he needed to hire these people where ever he found them.

Soon I hope to be smiling even wider as I tool down the road listening to the sweet,sweet sounds of a inline six that is cammed up,has 3 carbs and a high compression head,and is playing it's tunes through dual straight pipes with glass packs. I may never turn the radio on.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:39:42 pm by sneakypete »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #615 on: July 16, 2019, 12:29:43 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I have,and normally drive my modern 4x4 pu these days because I have been having health and strength/mobility issues,and it has ps,auto trans,and air-conditioning.

If my health were better,my normal daily ride would be my flathead 6 cylinder 1951 Ford business coupe. The modern pu is nice and comfortable,but it doesn't make me smile while riding down the road.

Just found and bought a finned aluminun Knudsen high-compression head for it,with the matching 3 carb intake. Soon I hope to be smiling even wider as I tool down the road listening to the sweet,sweet sounds of a inline six that is cammed up,has 3 carbs and a high compression head,and is playing it's tunes through dual straight pipes with glass packs. I may never turn the radio on.

I hope you get well and get it done. Let the good times roll.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #616 on: July 16, 2019, 12:41:22 pm »
I hope you get well and get it done. Let the good times roll.

@bigheadfred

As one Luddite to another,I thank you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #617 on: July 16, 2019, 02:01:10 pm »
@Bill Cipher

Me,too. ESPECIALLY since those "wander around to look for messes to clean up" jobs used to be called "starting positions". People like high school children who had never had a job could apply for and get one at minimum wage while having the luxury of having their parents pay their bills while they are learning about responsibility and what it takes to hold a job.

Not to mention when illiterate,uneducated,or handi-caped/old people that have no choice but to take those jobs have to deal with on a daily basis,so that when they are rolling in riches and shopping in stores,they can show those people a little compassion and consideration,

Jobs like that tend to make people more human later in life.

What do we get out of those freaking robots???

Just call me a Luddite if you want. I can handle it,and in cases like this,wear the badge with pride.

Meh, they can all be put to work stopping people from shoplifting. A robot cannot do that yet, and these self-checkout deals are prone to that sort of thing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #618 on: July 16, 2019, 03:52:08 pm »
@roamer_1

Naw,they do that to show you who is boss. They want you to see them as the power figure your mother was when you were a child. Actually,when it comes to stuff like this,they ain't actually doing ANY thinking. It's party a genetic survival trait that has been around as long as there has been men and women,since it also serves to make you as protective of them as you are your own mother. Women you are sleeping with can be given the boot with no thought the instant a prettier one comes along,but it's hard to give the boot to a woman who is part mother in your sub-conscious.

@sneakypete
Well that may be... But what they don't know is that my own mamma knows better than to get her hand between my plate and my face. She might even get away with it... but she knows better. Leave me be when I'm eating.

But I am wired different than most, seriously. I may have cheated some when I was early at it, figuring things out, but as a rule, once a woman is MY woman, I don't need no other. I do not recall a single time cheating on my woman... So whatever they are doing it for it ain't necessary.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #619 on: July 16, 2019, 04:37:57 pm »
I think females steal food from our plates because they don't count the calories and they can freely cheat on their diets.  It's not more complicated than that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #620 on: July 17, 2019, 12:10:47 am »
Meh, they can all be put to work stopping people from shoplifting. A robot cannot do that yet, and these self-checkout deals are prone to that sort of thing.

Stop shoplifting. Then we don't need a robot to tag you.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2019, 12:15:43 am »
@sneakypete

But I am wired different than most, seriously. I may have cheated some when I was early at it, figuring things out, but as a rule, once a woman is MY woman, I don't need no other. I do not recall a single time cheating on my woman... So whatever they are doing it for it ain't necessary.

@roamer_1

Believe it or not,I am in complete agreement with you on this. Casual dating is one thing,but once you agree to live together or get married,you have made both real and implies promises,and promises are meant to be kept if you want to maintain your self-respect. If you can't get along with her or she starts playing that "no sex for you because you won't buy me a new whatever" game,tell her to clean her act up or hit the road,but don't start shopping around for a replacement while she is still there. Not if you want to keep your self-respect.

What she does is on her. If you catch her cheating,toss her ass out in the yard and be done with it so you can move on and find something real. If you have no self-respect for yourself,you can't expect her to respect you,and visa versa.

If you can't be honest on the family level,you have no honesty and you have no family. You are a shell of a human passing yourself off as a man. Or woman,as the case may be.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2019, 12:17:08 am »
I think females steal food from our plates because they don't count the calories and they can freely cheat on their diets.  It's not more complicated than that.

@Cyber Liberty

There is a GREAT deal of truth in that one!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2019, 12:20:40 am »
@roamer_1

Believe it or not,I am in complete agreement with you on this. Casual dating is one thing,but once you agree to live together or get married,you have made both real and implies promises,and promises are meant to be kept if you want to maintain your self-respect. If you can't get along with her or she starts playing that "no sex for you because you won't buy me a new whatever" game,tell her to clean her act up or hit the road,but don't start shopping around for a replacement while she is still there. Not if you want to keep your self-respect.

What she does is on her. If you catch her cheating,toss her ass out in the yard and be done with it so you can move on and find something real. If you have no self-respect for yourself,you can't expect her to respect you,and visa versa.

If you can't be honest on the family level,you have no honesty and you have no family. You are a shell of a human passing yourself off as a man. Or woman,as the case may be.

That's right.
 :beer:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2019, 12:41:21 am »
I want you all to know this.

I have a high regard for you all. Because these side conversations prove, PROVE, that there is that ineffable quality in people that makes them human. That makes you human.

AI is here. Robots are here.

Dealing with them is something we are all going to have to do. Whether at work, the store, or at home. They are everywhere.

Keep being human. Keep being people. Pass it along.

They have PROVEN that big social media and "smart" devices F**K people up. At what point do you kick that cheating spying no good POS down the road? After it has destroyed your life?

A very good example of what I am trying to say has been said in the last posts.

Thank you.