Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83039 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #550 on: July 13, 2019, 11:37:34 am »
Hard to believe this thread is still going. Especially since you can't kill a robot because they were never alive to start with.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #551 on: July 13, 2019, 12:19:43 pm »
Hard to believe this thread is still going. Especially since you can't kill a robot because they were never alive to start with.

I saw a stat that soon there will be 100 billion "smart" devices in use. Too bad there isn't  a plan to make people smarter. But they are surely working harder to make them dumber.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #552 on: July 13, 2019, 03:59:08 pm »
I saw a stat that soon there will be 100 billion "smart" devices in use. Too bad there isn't  a plan to make people smarter. But they are surely working harder to make them dumber.

'smart' devices...
Just because you call em smart doesn't mean they are.
Sometimes Google Assistant is dumb as a post.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #553 on: July 13, 2019, 07:18:39 pm »
f https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/fake-news-is-real-ai-is-going-to-make-it-much-worse.html

Fake news is real — A.I. is going to make it much worse
Published Fri, Jul 12 2019 8:00 AM EDTUpdated Fri, Jul 12 2019 8:38 AM EDT

Earlier this year a clip purporting to show Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi slurring her words when speaking to the press was shared widely on social media, including at one point by Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani. However, closer inspection revealed that the video had been slowed to 75% of its normal speed to achieve this slurring effect, according to the Washington Post. Even with the real video now widely accessible, Hany Farid, a professor at UC Berkeley’s School of Information and a digital forensics expert, said he still regularly receives emails from people insisting the slowed video is the legitimate one.

The minute that someone says, ‘Here’s a research paper telling you about how to detect this kind of fake video,’ that is when the attackers look at the paper and say, ‘Thank you for pointing out my flaw. I will take that into account in my next-generation video, and I will go find enough input ... so that the next generation of my video will not have the same problem,’” Zhao said.

One of the more recent developments in this field is in generating speech for a video. To replicate a figure such as Trump’s voice, computers can now simply analyze hundreds of hours of him speaking. Then researchers can type out what they want Trump to say, and the computer will make it sound as if he actually said it. Facebook, Google and Microsoft have all more or less perfected this technology, according to Farid.

Zhao has spent a great deal of time speaking with prosecutors, judges — the legal profession is another sector where the implications are huge —

“And if it’s someone’s word, an actual eyewitness’ word versus a video, which do you believe, and how do you as an organization go about verifying the authenticity or the illegitimacy of a particularly audio or video?” Zhao asked.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #554 on: July 13, 2019, 10:26:12 pm »
I recently saw a movie which dealt with that thought.

The writers solved the problem by deciding that for something to be alive and sentient (an AI humanoid robot/android in the show) it had to have some trepidation about its existence being ended.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #555 on: July 13, 2019, 10:29:03 pm »
Paraphrasing Howard Mumford Jones, 'Ours is an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of any human who tries to.'
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #556 on: July 14, 2019, 09:20:02 pm »
http://news.mit.edu/2019/toward-artificial-intelligence-that-learns-to-write-code-0614

Toward artificial intelligence that learns to write code

Kim Martineau | MIT Quest for Intelligence
June 14, 2019

This one is for you @roamer_1

The life of Riley. Really.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #557 on: July 14, 2019, 09:35:01 pm »
http://news.mit.edu/2019/toward-artificial-intelligence-that-learns-to-write-code-0614

Toward artificial intelligence that learns to write code

Kim Martineau | MIT Quest for Intelligence
June 14, 2019

This one is for you @roamer_1

The life of Riley. Really.

Shooting for the moon, @bigheadfred
It's maybe a step above self-healing code - which is no where near mastered yet.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:38:26 pm by roamer_1 »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #558 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:56 pm »
Shooting for the moon, @bigheadfred
It's maybe a step above self-healing code - which is no where near mastered yet.

Creating our own new Overlords.  I can hardly wait.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #559 on: July 14, 2019, 09:45:02 pm »
Creating our own new Overlords.  I can hardly wait.

All you've got to do is go off-grid...

:shrug:

They'll be busy enough herding the sheep they have.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #560 on: July 14, 2019, 09:47:49 pm »
All you've got to do is go off-grid...

:shrug:

They'll be busy enough herding the sheep they have.

I thought they baa-nned going off grid?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #561 on: July 14, 2019, 10:02:25 pm »
I thought they baa-nned going off grid?

Not around here...  :shrug:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2019, 10:05:45 pm »
Not around here...  :shrug:

The case I was thinking of was down South. Maybe in Florida. Some city told this guy since he lived within the city limits he had to be hooked up and pay for city services, which included electricity.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #563 on: July 14, 2019, 10:11:02 pm »
The case I was thinking of was down South. Maybe in Florida. Some city told this guy since he lived within the city limits he had to be hooked up and pay for city services, which included electricity.

Huh... So it's a tax then, eh? And not a service?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #564 on: July 14, 2019, 10:13:30 pm »
And I dunno about by you Fred, but where I am, I quit paying my electric bill long enough, I quit getting electricity.

I know, I've seen me do it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #565 on: July 14, 2019, 10:28:22 pm »
Huh... So it's a tax then, eh? And not a service?

It would tax me. BS has a way of doing that to me.

And I dunno about by you Fred, but where I am, I quit paying my electric bill long enough, I quit getting electricity.

I know, I've seen me do it.

I don't know why, but I am reminded of the story of this girl in a town up the road a bit. Wrote a couple of dozen bad checks. Told them they had to be mistaken. She COULDN'T be out of money. She still had checks left.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #566 on: July 14, 2019, 10:33:58 pm »
It would tax me. BS has a way of doing that to me.

I don't know why, but I am reminded of the story of this girl in a town up the road a bit. Wrote a couple of dozen bad checks. Told them they had to be mistaken. She COULDN'T be out of money. She still had checks left.

Now, don't be like that... I have been called a good financial steward... er, I mean... sewer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #567 on: July 14, 2019, 10:34:43 pm »
No, wait...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #568 on: July 14, 2019, 10:37:40 pm »
Now, don't be like that... I have been called a good financial steward... er, I mean... sewer

Sounds like a government job.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #569 on: July 14, 2019, 10:40:32 pm »
Sounds like a government job.

County anyway, a time or two...
 :tongue2:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #570 on: July 14, 2019, 10:46:07 pm »
https://aibusiness.com/us-senate-ai-initiative-act/

US Senate Introduces $2.2bn AI Initiative Act

WASHINGTON DC – A new bipartisan bill in the US Senate aims to deliver $2 billion in federal spending and a number of policy initiatives as part of a new government strategy for AI technology.

This week, (May 23, 2019) U.S. Senators Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) and Rob Portman (R-Ohio), co-founders of the Senate Artificial Intelligence Caucus, unveiled the Artificial Intelligence Initiative Act (AI-IA). The act aims to organize a coordinated national strategy to accelerate AI deployments in government agencies, academia, and the private sector over the next 10 years. It will also see the federal government provide $2.2 billion USD in investments.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #571 on: July 14, 2019, 11:22:34 pm »
The act aims to organize a coordinated national strategy to accelerate AI deployments in government agencies.....

*****rollingeyes*****

Online roamer_1

« Reply #572 on: July 14, 2019, 11:25:35 pm »
The act aims to organize a coordinated national strategy to accelerate AI deployments in government agencies.....

*****rollingeyes*****

I'll bet you money it won't understand redneck.
Stupid friggin Google.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #573 on: July 14, 2019, 11:30:26 pm »
Stupid friggin Google.

No bets. It will be useless before it starts.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #574 on: July 14, 2019, 11:31:10 pm »
Stupid friggin Google.

Think of yourself as a new Navajo Code Talker.   22chief 333cleo 333cleo 333cleo 22chief
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: