Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83057 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #525 on: July 11, 2019, 01:11:44 am »
From the last article I posted.

It took 500,000 distinct words from those abstracts

500,000 "distinct" words? In a particular field of scientific research?

I don't care what planet you are from. That is a huge amount of "distinct" words.

I'm not sure (highly doubt) there are 500,000 distinct words in the English language.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #527 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:28 am »
I'm not sure (highly doubt) there are 500,000 distinct words in the English language.

I have read a number of scientific papers, and I could go with 5,000 but not half a million.  Even if they meant "words and phrases".

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #528 on: July 11, 2019, 01:33:47 am »

I'll take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) and say you are correct.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #529 on: July 11, 2019, 02:14:44 am »
I have read a number of scientific papers, and I could go with 5,000 but not half a million.  Even if they meant "words and phrases".

Creative accounting...

And Joe is a cop...sooo... when I told him I am sending you a mimeograph stencil duplication facsimile by telecommunications and he said just the facts, ma'am, that got my goat so I hit him with my rubber snake.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #530 on: July 11, 2019, 02:31:48 am »
Creative accounting...

And Joe is a cop...sooo... when I told him I am sending you a mimeograph stencil duplication facsimile by telecommunications and he said just the facts, ma'am, that got my goat so I hit him with my rubber snake.

See - they are cute, aren't they?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #531 on: July 11, 2019, 02:46:13 am »
See - they are cute, aren't they?

And scrumptious.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #532 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:10 am »
In my case, it is long and painful personal experience with these creatures that I'm not going to go into here.  No peacocks and no goats!  MIGHT make an exception for some pigmy goats but would have to think hard about even that.
Get the kind you can shout at and have stop right there... :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #533 on: July 11, 2019, 07:12:49 am »
I can see me getting pulled over and trying to explain that. "But, officer, Joe told me to do it". 

:silly:
Might make "Live PD"! :silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #534 on: July 11, 2019, 07:13:49 am »
Now there's a great idea! Never thought of that.
Folks have always told me to breed em myself...
But I don't know... Just one vid hits the youtubes and...  **nononono* :whistle:

:silly:
Yeah, just one goat, and you know what all the town folks would call you.... 888mouth

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #535 on: July 11, 2019, 07:15:09 am »
Oh yeah! Get an unabridged dictionary....

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #536 on: July 11, 2019, 07:30:34 am »
Creative accounting...

Nope. Not me. That's 'my man' Friday, the one with the Quaalude badge number (714).

(I always wondered why he seemed so calm)

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #537 on: July 11, 2019, 11:43:45 am »
500,000 "distinct" words? In a particular field of scientific research?

I wonder if that list includes many languages.  Otherwise that is more words than english has in total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dictionaries_by_number_of_words
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2019, 12:30:39 pm »
I wonder if that list includes many languages.  Otherwise that is more words than english has in total.

I thought about that. And I already looked at your link.
But, by my definition, or understanding, even if you use the word "steel" in six different languages they aren't distinct from each other because they all mean the same thing.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #539 on: July 11, 2019, 01:22:12 pm »
In my case, it is long and painful personal experience with these creatures that I'm not going to go into here.  No peacocks and no goats!  MIGHT make an exception for some pigmy goats but would have to think hard about even that.

The Childhood Goat Trauma Foundation was created in 1982 by a small group that originally came together as a an informal support group for problems that were the result of traumatic experiences at petting zoos as children. This group realized that there were many others out there who were afraid to come forward with their horrific stories and wanted to find some way to help as many people as they could. The Childhood Goat Trauma Foundation is the result of their dream.

The Childhood Goat Trauma Foundation

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online roamer_1

« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2019, 02:28:30 pm »

Well, I ain't sayin she's all that, but according to Google Assistant, using the second edition of the Oxford dictionary, the english language contains 171,476 words in current use, and 47,156 obsolete words...
That doesn't include redneck variations (which Google Assistant can't even understand) though...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:29:16 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2019, 02:50:43 pm »
LOL!!! Thanks @Polly Ticks

:beer:

I'm a fellow sufferer, so welcome to the club!!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #543 on: July 11, 2019, 02:55:32 pm »
:beer:

I'm a fellow sufferer, so welcome to the club!!

Well, in my case it's not what you think!   

When I was a kid someone (one of my relatives likely) dumped a young billy at our place. He was fun for a while but, over time, he became a REAL nuisance and I wanted to take him out . I mean REALLY take him out as in kill him!  Never did but I sure wanted to.  Never have had that much hatred for an animal again.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #544 on: July 11, 2019, 10:13:52 pm »

According to Wiki, there are 470,000 'accepted' English words. I wonder if that includes slang and other variants.
I would think it wouldn't be hard to come up with another 30,000.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2019, 12:01:41 am »
According to Wiki, there are 470,000 'accepted' English words. I wonder if that includes slang and other variants.
I would think it wouldn't be hard to come up with another 30,000.

Right. But they are claiming 500,000 distinct words.

This a scientific paper you are writing/reading. Not some fairytale...oh...wait...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
Right. But they are claiming 500,000 distinct words.

This a scientific paper you are writing/reading. Not some fairytale...oh...wait...
Well, considering most folks only use some 1% of that, they likely wouldn't miss the other 30,000. Between Madison Avenue, the Mass Media, and government bureaucrats, it's likely they will invent that many in the next year or so, anyway.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2019, 08:12:08 pm »
Well, considering most folks only use some 1% of that, they likely wouldn't miss the other 30,000. Between Madison Avenue, the Mass Media, and government bureaucrats, it's likely they will invent that many in the next year or so, anyway.

Can anybody explain to me the difference between "distinct" and "unique?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #548 on: July 13, 2019, 03:30:09 am »
To err is human.

With very little training, but many iterations...

ffs

FFS

fFs

FfS...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2019, 08:24:11 am »
Can anybody explain to me the difference between "distinct" and "unique?"
Distinct is recognizable, but not the only of its kind.
Unique isn't something you can really compare, because there is only one.

C S Lewis