Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83007 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #500 on: July 10, 2019, 12:18:53 am »
Xilinx Ships Heterogeneous Chips for AI, 5G

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1334898

LONDON — Xilinx has shipped the first Versal devices to select customers as part of its early access program, a milestone for the company’s heterogeneous compute architecture. Versal devices use Xilinx’s adaptive compute acceleration platform (ACAP), part of the company’s strategy for modern workloads including high speed networking, 5G, and artificial intelligence (AI)

Xilinx has shipped its first Versal ACAP device (Source: Xilinx)

“Having our first Versal ACAP silicon back from TSMC ahead of schedule and shipping to early access customers is a historic milestone and engineering accomplishment,” said Victor Peng, president and CEO of Xilinx, in a statement. “It is the culmination of many years of software and hardware investments and everything we’ve learned about architectures over the past 35 years.”

Built on TSMC’s 7-nm FinFET process technology, the first devices to ship are from the Versal Prime series (for a variety of applications) and the Versal AI Core series (for acceleration of AI inference workloads). According to Xilinx, the AI Core series can outperform GPUs by 8X on AI inference (based on sub-2ms latency convolutional neural network performance versus Nvidia V100).

“Having our first Versal ACAP silicon back from TSMC ahead of schedule and shipping to early access customers is a historic milestone and engineering accomplishment,” said Victor Peng, president and CEO of Xilinx, in a statement. “It is the culmination of many years of software and hardware investments and everything we’ve learned about architectures over the past 35 years.”

Built on TSMC’s 7-nm FinFET process technology, the first devices to ship are from the Versal Prime series (for a variety of applications) and the Versal AI Core series (for acceleration of AI inference workloads). According to Xilinx, the AI Core series can outperform GPUs by 8X on AI inference (based on sub-2ms latency convolutional neural network performance versus Nvidia V100).

In an interview with EETimes Europe, Xilinx’s Nick Ni, director of product marketing for AI, software and ecosystem, said that in the AI accelerator market in particular, there is a lot at stake.

“Everybody is betting on something, including [established players] and ASIC startups … we think this is an intelligent bet,” said Ni. “The truth is, nobody has captured the market in AI … it’s just really getting started. Everyone agrees the hardware will be the bottleneck of mass deployment — whoever gets the hardware right for this moving target workload, which is very hard to design for, [will win the bet].”
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #501 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:44 am »
Here is a prediction for you.

The rise of companies with a name like Cover Your Ass or Alibi Inc. Selling a service that will prevent other companies from framing you for crimes they said you committed while they were spying on you. And both companies will be owned and operated by the same parent company. They have the tech. Genealogy companies are selling your DNA profiles. They can reproduce you, YOU, and PROVE you were at the scene of a crime.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #502 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:09 am »
These are the little guys I'm talking about. I suppose I should consider cabrito, but I just can't do it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #503 on: July 10, 2019, 01:12:48 am »
These are the little guys I'm talking about. I suppose I should consider cabrito, but I just can't do it.

I understand that. What I wonder is why you still have the snakes on your porch? Live a little. Put one in a random mailbox from time to time. And sit back and watch the show.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #504 on: July 10, 2019, 01:29:51 am »
I understand that. What I wonder is why you still have the snakes on your porch? Live a little. Put one in a random mailbox from time to time. And sit back and watch the show.

LOL.  I may have to try that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #505 on: July 10, 2019, 08:38:14 am »
Two things never to be found on my place if I can prevent it.

1. A peacock

2. A goat
Once we got used to them, it wasn't bad (peafowl), and the noise reminded me of Tarzan movies, so I didn't mind it.

Goats, however, have an 'air' about them....The High School I graduated from had a small group of them which kept the grass down on campus, but had a distinct odor if you were close and downwind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #506 on: July 10, 2019, 08:42:12 am »
Yeah, finding a snake willing to rub itself on the rubber snakes, while I maintain a good distance, is pretty unlikely.
Take the rubber snakes with you, and a garbage bag. Sooner or later you'll see a snake on the side of the road...victim of traffic. Rub the rubber ones on it. Transport in bag (wear gloves).

I would think the herpetologists haven't identified many which would cozy up to a surrogate...Maybe if it was inflatable? 888mouth

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #507 on: July 10, 2019, 08:46:53 am »
It's hot and very humid here.  Swamp coolers are not effective.
One advantage of that 'dry heat' you hear about. Just the thermal transfer to the air from a mist of well water (or city water if you have that) at roughly 60-65 degrees will drop the temp a little,and if it's too muggy to have effect evaporating, the additional humidity will be negligible.
Evaporation, absorbing the latent heat necessary for the water to become a vapor, is the most effective by far, though.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #508 on: July 10, 2019, 08:51:15 am »
Evaporation, absorbing the latent heat necessary for the water to become a vapor, is the most effective by far, though.

Well, no - That'd be tubin in the river all day with a tote full of beers tied to the tube.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:54:23 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #509 on: July 10, 2019, 08:53:23 am »
Well, no - That's be tubin in the river all day with a tote full of beers tied to the tube.
Problem is, the beer cans aren't made like they used to be, and get holed on the rocks waaay too easy.  :shrug:

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #510 on: July 10, 2019, 08:56:00 am »
Problem is, the beer cans aren't made like they used to be, and get holed on the rocks waaay too easy.  :shrug:

Yeah... might have to convert to a cooler... Hey - cooler for beer on the left, cooler for sammiches on the right.... ARMRESTS. Awesome.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #511 on: July 10, 2019, 01:50:48 pm »
Once we got used to them, it wasn't bad (peafowl), and the noise reminded me of Tarzan movies, so I didn't mind it.

Goats, however, have an 'air' about them....The High School I graduated from had a small group of them which kept the grass down on campus, but had a distinct odor if you were close and downwind.

In my case, it is long and painful personal experience with these creatures that I'm not going to go into here.  No peacocks and no goats!  MIGHT make an exception for some pigmy goats but would have to think hard about even that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #512 on: July 10, 2019, 01:54:19 pm »
In my case, it is long and painful personal experience with these creatures that I'm not going to go into here.  No peacocks and no goats!  MIGHT make an exception for some pigmy goats but would have to think hard about even that.

@Bigun

There is nothing cuter than baby goats playing. They can make cats look clumsy by comparison.

They have to be natures stupidest mammal,though. You can't even teach one to come in out of the rain.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #513 on: July 10, 2019, 02:00:12 pm »
MIGHT make an exception for some pigmy goats but would have to think hard about even that.

We had fainting goats for a while, and they were alright... except the ram in rut. There ain't many natural smells that can turn my belly and make my eyes water... But billygoat in rut is one of them...

And this from a guy that regularly dealt with fresh skunk spray from skunks getting caught in traps... Me coming off my lowland trap line run, folks would walk 20 ft around me... LOL!
But  billygoat in rut... I ain't sticking around. Nope.

I might take another pass at goats... I rather like kiko goats. They seem a hardy breed.
But not going to happen without a pen for the billy that's all the way downwind.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #514 on: July 10, 2019, 02:14:14 pm »

Mine are pygmy goats and only the full-grown males smell, so not a problem. And, I borrow a buck when needed, so no full time bucks here.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:15:20 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2019, 02:16:43 pm »
Take the rubber snakes with you, and a garbage bag. Sooner or later you'll see a snake on the side of the road...victim of traffic. Rub the rubber ones on it. Transport in bag (wear gloves).

I would think the herpetologists haven't identified many which would cozy up to a surrogate...Maybe if it was inflatable? 888mouth

I can see me getting pulled over and trying to explain that. "But, officer, Joe told me to do it". 

:silly:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #516 on: July 10, 2019, 02:19:36 pm »
[...] And, I borrow a buck when needed, so no full time bucks here.

Now there's a great idea! Never thought of that.
Folks have always told me to breed em myself...
But I don't know... Just one vid hits the youtubes and...  **nononono* :whistle:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:51 pm »
Now there's a great idea! Never thought of that.
Folks have always told me to breed em myself...
But I don't know... Just one vid hits the youtubes and...  **nononono* :whistle:

How much coffee have you had this morning?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #518 on: July 10, 2019, 02:26:40 pm »
Mine are pygmy goats and only the full-grown males smell, so not a problem. And, I borrow a buck when needed, so no full time bucks here.

We have a neighbor with some who offered to give me a couple.  Still considering whether or not to accept the offer.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2019, 02:27:27 pm »
How much coffee have you had this morning?

:silly: :beer:

Actually, I haven't made it to bed yet.
Ran some code at 1:30 am or so, figuring it was done, and it blew up.
So I've been rewriting ever since...
Been a long night.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2019, 02:43:47 pm »
:silly: :beer:

Actually, I haven't made it to bed yet.
Ran some code at 1:30 am or so, figuring it was done, and it blew up.
So I've been rewriting ever since...
Been a long night.

Sounds like it!  I haven't pulled an allnighter for years now.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2019, 02:52:17 pm »
Sounds like it!  I haven't pulled an allnighter for years now.

eh - S'alright.. I am obsessive. It's what makes me good at coding.
I have already cleared my day, so whenever I get this thing done and shipped.. and running, I can tip over. It's all good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2019, 11:09:25 pm »
Artificial Intelligence Set Loose On Old Scientific Papers Discovers Something Humans Missed

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjjr9qAvKvjAhVDHjQIHTjYCX4QFjAAegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.iflscience.com%2Ftechnology%2Fartificial-intelligence-set-loose-on-old-scientific-papers-discovers-something-humans-missed%2F&usg=AOvVaw1x4m7QQsfOd3Td42n_Pxf8

Researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory have developed an artificial intelligence (AI) that, with very little training, has made discoveries in material science. To spot what scientists had missed, all the AI had to do was read millions of previously published scientific papers.

The AI approach is known as machine learning. It is an algorithm capable of being trained on a particular task until, after many iterations, it can produce something that makes sense. Machine-learning approaches are being used to solve many problems, and this team used it to look for latent knowledge in the world of materials science.

Latent knowledge is a connection that might have been missed in a particular field even though the data is right there. As reported in Nature, the scientists fed the algorithm, known as Word2vec, 3.3 million abstracts on materials science from 1,000 different journals published between 1922 and 2018. It took 500,000 distinct words from those abstracts and built mathematical connections between them. And that gave it very intriguing powers of prediction.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #523 on: July 10, 2019, 11:14:15 pm »
The stupidest animal on the planet is the human.  Anything that can invent something that will completely replace itself artificially takes stupid to an all knew level.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #524 on: July 11, 2019, 12:46:19 am »
From the last article I posted.

It took 500,000 distinct words from those abstracts

500,000 "distinct" words? In a particular field of scientific research?

I don't care what planet you are from. That is a huge amount of "distinct" words.