Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 83004 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2019, 11:46:02 pm »
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190701144639.htm

Brain network evaluates robot likeability

Researchers have identified a network of brain regions that work together to determine if a robot is a worthy social partner, according to a new study published in JNeurosci.

Using functional magnetic resonance imaging, Astrid Rosenthal-von der Pütten, Fabien Grabenhorst and colleagues evaluated brain activity from the prefrontal cortex and amygdala as human participants scored images of robots on their likability, familiarly, and human-likeness. The participants also chose the robot from which they would prefer to receive a gift, indicating their social value.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2019, 11:53:02 pm »
This one has more info than the last post.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190701144308.htm

Robots that are not quite life-like: 'Uncanny valley' in the brain

Scientists have identified mechanisms in the human brain that could help explain the phenomenon of the 'Uncanny Valley' -- the unsettling feeling we get from robots and virtual agents that are too human-like. They have also shown that some people respond more adversely to human-like agents than others.

As technology improves, so too does our ability to create life-like artificial agents, such as robots and computer graphics -- but this can be a double-edged sword.

"Resembling the human shape or behaviour can be both an advantage and a drawback," explains Professor Astrid Rosenthal-von der Pütten, Chair for Individual and Technology at RWTH Aachen University. "The likeability of an artificial agent increases the more human-like it becomes, but only up to a point: sometimes people seem not to like it when the robot or computer graphic becomes too human-like."

This phenomenon was first described in 1978 by robotics professor Masahiro Mori, who coined an expression in Japanese that went on to be translated as the 'Uncanny Valley'.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #452 on: July 09, 2019, 12:39:06 am »
This video has some laughs. Cats are born with this innate sense.

As people interface more and more with AI tech, at what point do you lose your fear of snakes? At what point do you not even know what a snake is?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #453 on: July 09, 2019, 01:19:57 am »
A bunch of good posts here today, @bigheadfred!  Looks like you've been reading...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #454 on: July 09, 2019, 01:24:15 am »
A bunch of good posts here today, @bigheadfred!  Looks like you've been reading...

I read all the time. Too lazy to post.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #455 on: July 09, 2019, 01:24:25 am »
This video has some laughs. Cats are born with this innate sense.

HAH! We did that with a rubber snake when I was a boy

As people interface more and more with AI tech, at what point do you lose your fear of snakes? At what point do you not even know what a snake is?

Already so. Most folks live in a plastic, climate-controlled box, and never venture forth. Wouldn't know how. AI just sucks em in a little further.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2019, 01:29:06 am »
Adding this thread, @Sanguine

I think it has relevance here.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,367778.msg2005810.html#msg2005810

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says you should get off Facebook because 'there's almost no way to stop' companies from spying on your habits

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2019, 01:32:37 am »
HAH! We did that with a rubber snake when I was a boy

Already so. Most folks live in a plastic, climate-controlled box, and never venture forth. Wouldn't know how. AI just sucks em in a little further.

Do you know that goats aren't afraid of rubber snakes?  I bought some very realistic ones that scare guests but the goats just lay down and sleep on them.  I was hoping to keep the snakes off the porch, but so far, no go.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #458 on: July 09, 2019, 01:33:34 am »
Adding this thread, @Sanguine

I think it has relevance here.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,367778.msg2005810.html#msg2005810

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says you should get off Facebook because 'there's almost no way to stop' companies from spying on your habits

Thanks, Fred.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2019, 01:41:13 am »
Do you know that goats aren't afraid of rubber snakes?  I bought some very realistic ones that scare guests but the goats just lay down and sleep on them.  I was hoping to keep the snakes off the porch, but so far, no go.

That is a very strange comment. I think I need to consult with my ferret.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:37 am »

Keep the goats off the porch you mean?

Snakes ain't a thing for me. All we have here are garter snakes.
But I can tell you that guinea hens are hell on snakes.
Ticks too... Which we do got.

We put a broody hen over half a dozen guinea hen eggs a year...
They roam free, but we usually lose six or so a year to predators.

You won;t have snakes... or if you do, you will know about it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2019, 01:56:24 am »
Keep the goats off the porch you mean?

Snakes ain't a thing for me. All we have here are garter snakes.
But I can tell you that guinea hens are hell on snakes.
Ticks too... Which we do got.

We put a broody hen over half a dozen guinea hen eggs a year...
They roam free, but we usually lose six or so a year to predators.

You won;t have snakes... or if you do, you will know about it.

You won't have anyone sneak up on you either.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2019, 01:59:45 am »

And you won't be sleeping in, too.
For some reason, them dang guineas always wind up bedded down right under my bedroom window

9999hair out0000

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2019, 02:03:34 am »

@roamer_1

My grandma used to keep some peacocks around.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:04:52 am by bigheadfred »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #464 on: July 09, 2019, 02:08:39 am »
 :bigsilly:

Sorry about that.  I now have rubber snakes AND goats on the porch.  Trying to cut it down to just rubber snakes.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #465 on: July 09, 2019, 02:17:07 am »
:bigsilly:

Sorry about that.  I now have rubber snakes AND goats on the porch.  Trying to cut it down to just rubber snakes.

NP.
Dogs.
The only thing the dogs let on the porch are the house cats. Not even the barn cats, which I find amazing, that they understand the difference.
 Doesn't take much to teach the dog the porch is his...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #466 on: July 09, 2019, 02:18:46 am »
@roamer_1

My grandma used to keep some peacocks around.

Yep we've had em too... But guineas do the same, and take care of snakes and ticks.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #467 on: July 09, 2019, 02:25:02 am »
Facebook outage gave a glimpse at how its AI analyses images

https://www.artificialintelligence-news.com/2019/07/04/facebook-outage-ai-analyses-images/

Facebook’s issue displaying images yesterday gave users an interesting look at how the social media giant’s AI analyses their uploads.

An outage yesterday meant Facebook users were unable to see uploaded images, providing a welcome respite from the usual mix of food and baby photos. In their place, however, was some interesting text.

Text in the placeholder where the image should have been displayed showed how Facebook’s AI automatically tagged the images.

Some of the aforementioned tags were understandable, like “one person, beard”. Other tags – such as a group of women standing together being tagged as “hoes” – were more questionable.

@Sanguine @truth_seeker

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2019, 02:32:09 am »
NP.
Dogs.
The only thing the dogs let on the porch are the house cats. Not even the barn cats, which I find amazing, that they understand the difference.
 Doesn't take much to teach the dog the porch is his...

I've got three dogs, but those are their goats, so they are allowed on the porch.  And, it's July in Texas so the dogs only go outside when there's a specific purpose.  Goats don't rate.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2019, 02:33:19 am »
Thanks, @bigheadfred.  I'm not on FB now and haven't been for years.  Just not my thing. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2019, 02:52:06 am »
Thanks, @bigheadfred.  I'm not on FB now and haven't been for years.  Just not my thing.

You tried pepper spray on the goats? Doubt it will bother the snakes.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2019, 02:54:00 am »
You tried pepper spray on the goats? Doubt it will bother the snakes.

They're so cute, Fred.  And, friendly.   I think pepper spray would change that dynamic.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #472 on: July 09, 2019, 03:27:31 am »
I've got three dogs, but those are their goats, so they are allowed on the porch.  And, it's July in Texas so the dogs only go outside when there's a specific purpose.  Goats don't rate.

@Sanguine
Then fences and gates at the risk of looking like the band box at a honkytonk up the canyon.  :shrug:

Perhaps make somewhere else more inviting...

My buddy has a stock tank under the trees with a little sprinkler doo-dad that makes a sort of fountain  to aerate the tank... It's a big ol tank and he has fish in it...

Anyhow, in the heat of the summer, that is always where you will find his goats down wind of that fountain in the shade where it is considerably cooler.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2019, 03:30:17 am »
@Sanguine
Then fences and gates at the risk of looking like the band box at a honkytonk up the canyon.  :shrug:

Perhaps make somewhere else more inviting...

My buddy has a stock tank under the trees with a little sprinkler doo-dad that makes a sort of fountain  to aerate the tank... It's a big ol tank and he has fish in it...

Anyhow, in the heat of the summer, that is always where you will find his goats down wind of that fountain in the shade where it is considerably cooler.

Good idea.  I'll have to think on it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2019, 08:38:31 am »
Different smell. As an experiment, try rubbing them with a snake, and see how the goats react.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis