Author Topic: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot  (Read 82814 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: They Asked if People Would Rather Kill a Human or a Sentient Robot
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2019, 07:42:25 am »
Yeah... Maybe like apple's goofy-a$$ itunes... way down in the settings you can tell it to save music as mp3, But if you don't know any better, it all comes down in DRM files (.aac)... Maybe I just didn't dig around enough in it...

Likely though, it will be a droid solution... I already have a droid phone and tablet, and know how to get them talking through my local Win LAN... So I can back em up to my media library already, which is access for every device I have. So the kindle app is how that will go...

I have the Droid Kindle app, it's nice.  You got that S4, right?  It worked on my S4 just fine.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:50 am »
That is another thing. Our town library is small. I've read about everything they have I wanted to read. They don't update it much.  My used bookstore closed down last year. Another one I found wants too much for their used books.

https://www.alibris.com/books

https://www.abebooks.com/

Thrift Stores, Auctions, Rummage Sales....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:43 am »
I have the Droid Kindle app, it's nice.  You got that S4, right?  It worked on my S4 just fine.

nah- The S4 was a test... I got serious pretty quick with it. On a J7 Skypro now... So no worries about it working... The tablet is another story... It is getting old. But, I have a 6mo old galaxy on the bench right now with a busted screen that wouldn't boot... I got it up and saved some files off it, and the guy gave me the tablet in the deal... So I am waiting on the glass, and then I will have a nice 200 dollar tablet to play with...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:27:29 am by roamer_1 »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2019, 01:40:23 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,351088.msg1914436.html#msg1914436

Attacking Artificial Intelligence: How To Trick The Enemy
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline thackney

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2019, 02:06:00 pm »
I can't get into it. I like it because I can adjust the font, but I need the smell of the book, and turning the pages... And the light from computers tends to keep me awake.

I will admit to slacking off quite a bit since I started wearing reading glasses. My favorite venue for reading is in bed, usually upon one side or the other, which flatly does not work with glasses on.  :shrug:

Big print and the ability for night to reverse colors for black background and light words.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
I would bet most people have the idea a human looking robot will be a self-contained AI. Thank Star Wars for that. Instead, that robot would probably have to have access or interface to an actual AI somewhere else. Take a good hard look at the fast track to 5G.

https://mdsafetech.org/problems/5g/

5G “Mobile” Communications

Technology advances aren't distributed to the general public until they have been studied by the military and alphabet agencies.

Turn the question around: Would a sentient robot sacrifice itself to save humans? Would you be willing to bet your life on it?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2019, 03:06:22 pm »
Rosie!

Yes! Couldn’t think of her name! all I know is that show premiered on the year of my birth.
@Cyber Liberty

Thanks
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2019, 05:25:07 pm »
We Need To Talk About Sentient Robots

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwid9frol7TgAhWS7Z8KHf7OChEQFjAAegQICxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fandreamorris%2F2018%2F03%2F13%2Fwe-need-to-talk-about-sentient-robots%2F&usg=AOvVaw0lyXPp-vBizuxNfeCsR7Wz

Excerpt

The implications for sentient AI.

If advanced AI systems become conscious, AI won't have to prove its autonomy. AI is designed with highly sophisticated intelligence and autonomy based on open-ended utility functions that human programmers can currently rewrite to cater to human needs and values until such a time as AI has the will to stop us. What AI will have to prove is that it is sentient. Unlike all current models of physiological life, we have no criteria for recognizing sentience in beings without biological brains and nervous systems. Many computer scientists and engineers say this simply isn't a problem–because AI is not conscious. Here's why it's still a problem:

We don't know what consciousness is (The Hard Problem).

Sentience and consciousness are often used interchangeably but there are subtle differences. Sentience is the capacity for subjective perceptions, feelings and experience. Consciousness is being aware of yourself and your surroundings. "It's the what it's like aspect of subjective experience. We all know what it's like to be conscious. It's so self-evident," says Jones.

Yet no one has ever spotted it in a brain scan or picked consciousness up with surgical forceps and studied it. We don't know its essence. The Hard Problem of consciousness is our most intimate mystery. We have no idea how awareness and experience come out of a purely physical process. No biologist, neuroscientist, philosopher or physicist is anywhere near solving The Hard Problem.

If we don't know what consciousness is, it's anyone's best guess as to what special configuration arouses awareness and how long it will be before AI wakes up . The only other intelligent beings we create that display highly sophisticated behavior are other humans. We don't know how or at what point during the development process our human creations become sentient and conscious.

Although we don't know precisely what consciousness is or how it works, we know it exists. Our moral and legal systems are based on the responsibility we have to other conscious beings. Without a rational, comprehensive and ethical set of criteria for recognizing signs of machine consciousness, we're susceptible to repeating the irreconcilable atrocities like slavery we've inflicted on other autonomous sentient beings.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2019, 05:53:01 pm »
IMO, consciousness in a robot, or any AI, isn't a goal that should EVER be under consideration.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2019, 06:14:30 pm »
IMO, consciousness in a robot, or any AI, isn't a goal that should EVER be under consideration.

I agree with that, but "consciousness" is likely to happen as a side-effect.  Definitions shift over time.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »
Big print and the ability for night to reverse colors for black background and light words.

Yes I know... All my machines do that already... Doesn't matter, btw, black light or white, I will not get tired if I am looking at a computer.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2019, 06:42:18 pm »
I agree with that, but "consciousness" is likely to happen as a side-effect.  Definitions shift over time.

I can see that. What is the algorithm for "humanity"?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2019, 06:46:56 pm »

Sentience is nonsense. Consciousness is too. The best a machine can do is mimic life.
However, it can be inhabited, which will be bad.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2019, 06:47:38 pm »

No.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 06:51:35 pm »
I can see that. What is the algorithm for "humanity"?

And that part is what we should not be setting as a "goal."  When we start writing and compiling algorithms like that is when we trivialize real Humanity.  Not to mention the damage done to Spirituality.  How does one program AI to acknowledge the possibility of an existence of a higher being?  Morality?

My point would be, somebody's going to come along and declare whatever we programmed to be "sentient."  IOW, playing God, even if it requires moving the goal posts.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2019, 06:51:57 pm »
Yes I know... All my machines do that already... Doesn't matter, btw, black light or white, I will not get tired if I am looking at a computer.

That's what I like about the Paperwhite, you can turn the background light completely off as long as there is light in the room.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 06:53:42 pm »
No.

Not for Thee, and not for Me, but we're not in charge of the totalitarians writing the Newspeak.

Doubleplusungood.
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:27 pm »
Sentience is nonsense. Consciousness is too. The best a machine can do is mimic life.
However, it can be inhabited, which will be bad.

Inhabited. Two possibles.
 Upload "yourself" into a machine. This falls under the category of the tech level you will be able to afford.
 Possession by noncorporeal nonhuman entities.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2019, 06:58:06 pm »
That's what I like about the Paperwhite, you can turn the background light completely off as long as there is light in the room.

That is true, and an underappreciated fact.  I had an E-paper Kindle (pre-PaperWhite), and I really liked the lack of glare and eye-strain.  It didn't resolve images very well, but it was the next-best thing to reading text from a book.  One really has to make the investment in an E-paper or PaperWhite tablet to clearly understand the difference.

There was a commercial at the time that showed somebody reading a Kindle on a sunshiny beach. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2019, 06:59:19 pm »
 Upload "yourself" into a machine. This falls under the category of the tech level you will be able to afford.

The machine I could afford to inhabit would probably look like Danny DeVito.   :chairbang:
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:05 pm »

I don't think we are anywhere near capable of that...Who can map the human soul?

Intentional possession - There ya go.
Something wicked this way comes.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2019, 07:05:04 pm »
The machine I could afford to inhabit would probably look like Danny DeVito.   :chairbang:

Brag brag brag

I'd top out somewhere around Buckwheat.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »

Well sorta - It cannot be off, or you would see nothing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2019, 07:11:04 pm »
Not for Thee, and not for Me, but we're not in charge of the totalitarians writing the Newspeak.

Doubleplusungood.

Right - but the newsspeak does not inhibit the truth. Creating mechanical life is purely nonsense, in the same way a boy who has been given tinkertoys can build a car like his dad's. He may believe he can, he may brag he can, but he doesn't understand the first damn thing about it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2019, 07:12:32 pm »
This entire premise needs to be filed under 'Ye too shall be as gods'.